ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Care & Detailing (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing-122/)
-   -   Rain X Question (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing/553545-rain-x-question.html)

daryll40 02-17-11 05:06 AM

Rain X Question

I just started using RAIN-X and I actually like it! I didn't think I would, really, but it works! My question is how to wash the windshield that has been recently treated? Just use water? And how often do I need to reapply? And do I need to use something to REMOVE the old Rain-X before reapplying, like maybe a 50% vinegar solution?

Any Rain-X tips will be appreciated!

99rx 02-17-11 05:12 AM

No you can wash it with regular car soap, just no dawn or grease removers. And you shouldn't have to apply it again for probably 6 months. My windshield has it built in somehow, but I use it on all the other cars and I usually don't reapply for 5-6 months later.

daryll40 02-17-11 05:31 AM

What about when I don't wash the car, but just want to clean the windshield? Use water? Windex?

MrG4Life 02-17-11 04:53 PM

I use Invisible Glass to clean the windshield in between washes.

daryll40 02-18-11 04:25 AM

And it doesn't remove the Rain X?

Guitarman 02-18-11 05:42 AM

According to the folks at Rain X, whom I called MANY years ago about this question, the way to remove it is to use an abrasive cleanser such as Soft Scrub, Comet, Bon Ami etc. in a pasty slurry with a cloth, so normal window cleaners will NOT remove it. You're safe using Invisible Glass , Windex etc.

It has a pretty stout chemical bond.

daryll40 02-18-11 08:29 AM

Thanks for that info. As an aside there is NO WAY I'm scrubbin' my windshield with Comet or even Bon Ami. I'll just let it naturally wear off

MrG4Life 02-18-11 12:20 PM

The Rain-X lasted many weeks after the windshield had been washed with car soap and also using the Invisible Glass.

FYI Invisible Glass is also sold with a rain repellent mixed in but I found it to be lackluster.

nymidas 02-19-11 03:46 AM

Does anyone have an issue with rainx leaving a powdery substance on the windshield after a couple weeks?

GSteg 02-19-11 06:22 AM

Powdery substance? Never had that problem.

bobett 02-19-11 10:17 AM

Never had a powdery residue from RainX after weeks and I have used it for years

mooretorque 03-08-11 04:18 AM

No powdery substance, ever, and have been using for more than 20 years.

baydriver 03-08-11 07:14 PM

Rain-x work great for me, but i seems like it only last me about 2 months, then time to reapply. For light rain, I don't even have to turn on my windshield wiper. Rain-x has like
or 4 different type of application. the small little bottle, spray bottle, wipes, and windshield wiper fluid additives.

Todd@ProperAutoCare 03-10-11 08:20 AM

If you like Rain X, you will love Glass Science.

It was designed by the same guy (he left Rain X) and the application is fairly similar. However it lasts longer (I get about 4 months vs. 2 months for Rain X in the Florida summer) and has a dedicated window cleaner that works great and helps extend durability to about the six month mark.

Hawaii60 03-10-11 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Todd@ProperAutoCare (Post 6212370)
If you like Rain X, you will love Glass Science.

It was designed by the same guy (he left Rain X) and the application is fairly similar. However it lasts longer (I get about 4 months vs. 2 months for Rain X in the Florida summer) and has a dedicated window cleaner that works great and helps extend durability to about the six month mark.

Have tried both, +1 for Glass Science.