Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-11, 06:40 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I use to detail am lot when I was younger (at a detail center/car wash) and I have been looking into the Dewalt DW849 polisher. I think I am going to get this model but I am unsure which pads to get...waffle type pads or regular foam pads - what's the difference?

FYI, I have a Black on Black '00 GS400 and I have moderate paint swirls and light scratches...I believe I can get her back to looking great but I just need some help with the types of pads and compound/polishing materials I need. If the response is too long please send me a PM!

Thanks for the help,
Nick
Old 02-15-11, 07:17 AM
Nick@Autogeek
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
I use to detail am lot when I was younger (at a detail center/car wash) and I have been looking into the Dewalt DW849 polisher. I think I am going to get this model but I am unsure which pads to get...waffle type pads or regular foam pads - what's the difference?

FYI, I have a Black on Black '00 GS400 and I have moderate paint swirls and light scratches...I believe I can get her back to looking great but I just need some help with the types of pads and compound/polishing materials I need. If the response is too long please send me a PM!

Thanks for the help,
Nick
If you're new to machine polishing, I would recommend a Dual-Action Polisher such as the Porter Cable 7424xp instead of the Dewalt, which is a Rotary Polisher. A Rotary Polisher in the hands of an inexperienced user is much more dangerous to your paint's delicate finish as opposed to a Dual-Action Polisher such as the 7424xp. A Dual-Action Polisher is much easier to use and has less of a learning curve, not to mention much more user friendly and paint safe for beginners. With a Rotary Polisher you are much more likely to burn through your paint if you are not an experienced user.

If you are new to machine polishing, I would check out the Wolfgang Porter Cable Swirl Free Kit. It includes everything you need to get rid of the swirls and scratches in your paint, along with Wolfgang's flagship paint sealant - Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant for ultimate gloss and protection.

If you are an experienced user and want to go the route of the Dewalt Rotary Polisher, I would recommend the Dewalt 849 Circular Polisher Intro Kit along with a good polish, such as the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover followed by Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. Once you are finished correcting your paint, follow that up with your favorite wax or sealant.

Hope that helps!
Old 02-15-11, 09:24 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek
If you're new to machine polishing, I would recommend a Dual-Action Polisher such as the Porter Cable 7424xp instead of the Dewalt, which is a Rotary Polisher. A Rotary Polisher in the hands of an inexperienced user is much more dangerous to your paint's delicate finish as opposed to a Dual-Action Polisher such as the 7424xp. A Dual-Action Polisher is much easier to use and has less of a learning curve, not to mention much more user friendly and paint safe for beginners. With a Rotary Polisher you are much more likely to burn through your paint if you are not an experienced user.

If you are new to machine polishing, I would check out the Wolfgang Porter Cable Swirl Free Kit. It includes everything you need to get rid of the swirls and scratches in your paint, along with Wolfgang's flagship paint sealant - Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant for ultimate gloss and protection.

If you are an experienced user and want to go the route of the Dewalt Rotary Polisher, I would recommend the Dewalt 849 Circular Polisher Intro Kit along with a good polish, such as the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover followed by Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. Once you are finished correcting your paint, follow that up with your favorite wax or sealant.

Hope that helps!

Perfect! I am an experienced user BTW...I have just been out of "the game" for a while so I am unsure what new products are good to use. Also, I never had my own equipment or supplies as whenever I did professional detailing it was as an employee at a company. We use to use a Dewalt 0-3,000rpm variable speed polisher about 10yrs ago, so searching around it seems to be the Dewalt DW849. I know all about puring paint and such...it IS a delicate process and I will be carefull as I am sure I am a "little" rusty.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-15-11, 09:33 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Oh, also after reviewing your website I was looking at the Pinnacle XMT Intermediate Swirl Remover #3; you referred me to the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover...which is better for me?
Old 02-15-11, 10:15 AM
Nick@Autogeek
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Oh, also after reviewing your website I was looking at the Pinnacle XMT Intermediate Swirl Remover #3; you referred me to the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover...which is better for me?
The Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover is a tad bit easier to work with, and in my experience it finishes nicer than the XMT #3.
Old 02-15-11, 02:01 PM
Nick@Autogeek
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
I really don't see the point of this thread I mean this whole section is for questions and answers pertaining to detailing and general car washing that anyone can chime in on.
Absolutely, that's what this discussion forum is all about. But in this particular thread you can ask car care product and detailing questions and receive answers from the Autogeek.net staff.
Old 02-15-11, 08:08 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Nick I need your help!

I've done a little research about polishing a car and wouldn't say i'm a complete novice, but would like some direction of what polishes/pad combo i should go with on my car. I know that i'm going to be using a Porter Cable PC 7424xp which seems like the staple polisher for beginners like me.

As you can see in my sig. I've got a 12 year old BLACK car, so there's obviously going to be imperfections everywhere. I think the previous owner took it to alot of those automated car washes because the swirl marks are almost disgusting to look at in the sun. I would say moderate to heavy swirls over the entire car. But especially on the sides and hood. The roof is beginning to show some minor signs of paint oxidation as well as the trunk and spoiler on the rear trunk. Nothing too bad but still in need of work. There is also some shallow and minor scratches around the car that don't go through the paint.

I guess my question is what combination of products should i be using to get my car back to the way it should be looking. When i was first looking i was looking at getting a kit with Meguiars M105/M205 which i hear good things about. But which pads should i go with?

Basically, i'm a Polishing Newbie who is tired of looking at my car in direct sunlight. haha You lighter color cars have it so easy. Also what are the chances of swirls coming back after a full clay, polish, wax or sealant if i use the proper washing methods?

Thanks Nick!
Old 02-16-11, 05:43 AM
Nick@Autogeek
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Hey Nick I need your help!

I've done a little research about polishing a car and wouldn't say i'm a complete novice, but would like some direction of what polishes/pad combo i should go with on my car. I know that i'm going to be using a Porter Cable PC 7424xp which seems like the staple polisher for beginners like me.

As you can see in my sig. I've got a 12 year old BLACK car, so there's obviously going to be imperfections everywhere. I think the previous owner took it to alot of those automated car washes because the swirl marks are almost disgusting to look at in the sun. I would say moderate to heavy swirls over the entire car. But especially on the sides and hood. The roof is beginning to show some minor signs of paint oxidation as well as the trunk and spoiler on the rear trunk. Nothing too bad but still in need of work. There is also some shallow and minor scratches around the car that don't go through the paint.

I guess my question is what combination of products should i be using to get my car back to the way it should be looking. When i was first looking i was looking at getting a kit with Meguiars M105/M205 which i hear good things about. But which pads should i go with?

Basically, i'm a Polishing Newbie who is tired of looking at my car in direct sunlight. haha You lighter color cars have it so easy. Also what are the chances of swirls coming back after a full clay, polish, wax or sealant if i use the proper washing methods?

Thanks Nick!
It sounds like you've done your research! The Meguiars Twins (M105/M205) along with a Dual-Action Polisher such as the Porter Cable 7424xp is a great start.

If you don't already have a 7424xp, we actually have a couple kits that include the 7424xp Polisher along with the Meguiars Twins and the appropriate pads for each product.

Meguiars Porter Cable XP Ultra Polish Kit

Once you have gotten rid of all those nasty swirls and scratches, you can avoid future swirls and scratches by using proper washing and drying techniques. The two bucket method is very effective when paired with a good shampoo, wash mitt, and a very soft drying towel. Always be sure to wash from the top of the vehicle down and rinse your wash mitt often.