Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Regarding Black Onyx (Single Stage vs Clear Coat)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-10, 05:36 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts
Default Regarding Black Onyx (Single Stage vs Clear Coat)

I just recently discovered on this forum that Black Onyx does not have a clear coat. We have a 2008 RX350. Does it have a clear coat?

I searched and found that Black Onyx did not have a clear coat until 1999. Can someone confirm this?

Also, what is the difference between a clear coated and a single-stage paint job, in regards to detailing? Does anything have to be done differently? Is it okay to use the same polishes/pads with a dual-action polisher on a single stage paint finish, as on the clear coated one?
Old 12-23-10, 07:30 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Single-stages are annoying to work with since they stain our pads with whatever color they have. Of course, the plus side is that it is blacker than a clear coated black and allows for complete defect removal and such.

Take a foam applicator and some polish and work your paint with it. If color comes off in the shade of your car, its single stage. Seeing as its a newer RX, I highly doubt that its single stage but anything is possible.

Nothing has to be done differently other than the fact that you should be changing pads frequently
Old 12-23-10, 11:10 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes a 2008 RX has clear coat. It won't if someone burnt through it with little experience and a rotary buffer.

Don't worry it's fine, it has clear coat.
Old 11-07-15, 06:22 AM
johnbros01
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am getting ready to have my Rear Bumper cover replaced on a 2008 Lexus LS460. I tried to do it myself but MyLparts doesn't ship bumper covers so it was the only choice that made sense. But When I got the estimate it included a clear coat on my Black 212 painted car. The last time I had some work done they said they didn't need to use a clear coat on the 212 and the price was reduced for that. I want the job to look the same as the rest of the car - does the finish on my 2008 LS460 have a clear coat on it? The Trunk I had painted by a Lexus associated Paint shop, thanks for your quick response - getting ready to take the car in a few days and they swear I need the Clear coat
Old 11-07-15, 02:47 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Yes, OEM Lexus Obsidian Black is a base coat/clear coat system.

Body shops will try to cut costs by using single stage paint in some cases since jet black paint can be done in SS, but I would advise sticking with the modern base/clear system. It will hold up better over time.

-Zach
Old 11-09-15, 04:10 PM
johnbros01
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Zach. I do a lot of mechanical work but Body work is not my forte. Nice to know someone knows what they are doing. Thanks for the Advice. The Shop said they always use the 2 coat system but I had recalled that the othe shop said they had used a single stage and it does look just like the original paint. I'll go with the Base/Clear as you suggest. thanks
Old 12-09-15, 10:17 PM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Edited. Wrong thread

Last edited by Zelfiris; 12-09-15 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Wrong thread
Old 12-12-15, 10:12 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I'm sure all Lexus products / cars have base clear paint jobs. All the older 90's ones do, as you can see the clear peeling off of some of them that haven't been taken care of. Most all touch up paints are a single stage 1k paint.
Old 12-15-15, 03:12 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I have owned several Lexus vehicle with obsidian paint and it seems to damage very easily and show the white primer below. My new RX has black Caviar paint and seems almost three dimensional in comparison. Looking forward to a tougher finish!
Old 12-15-15, 05:10 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
I have owned several Lexus vehicle with obsidian paint and it seems to damage very easily and show the white primer below. My new RX has black Caviar paint and seems almost three dimensional in comparison. Looking forward to a tougher finish!
All OEM paint is extremely thin and very susceptible to damage. There is no increase in toughness from one paint code to the next. Black paint simply shows minor blemishes easier than some lighter colors, however if you're striking the paint hard enough to expose the primer, that is not just a little bump.
Old 12-15-15, 07:43 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
I have a 14 Stargazer RX that I bought a year ago with 6k miles on it. It does seem to chip easily and show the light primer under the chip. I wished I would've had Expell installed after I bought it.
As the miles increase on your RX you will start to notice more and more chips on the front of your RX if it doesn't have the Expell installed. I would suggest buying Dr. Colorchip for touch ups. I bought it a while back and it works pretty good.