Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Headliner fabric coming loose (1998 Camry)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-10, 07:37 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Headliner fabric coming loose (1998 Camry)

Hi fellow detailers,

I am wondering, how would I go about re-gluing the headliner on a 1998 Camry?
The top layer (the thin layer that's the outermost layer) is coming loose right on the edge by the rear window in one corner (the section that came loose is about 5"X3").

I am sure this is something that can be glued back easily, but what kind of glue would I need? Can someone recommended a product?

The layer that needs to get re-glued is really thin (almost see-through) so I am guessing the glue needs to be light colored (the interior is tan) because a black glue would make it obvious a repair was done.

I'd really appreciate some help here!

Thanks!
Old 12-08-10, 10:29 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use 3M Adhesive spray in my old mans Dodge Caravan and it works. Only problem is that the rest of the headliner is loosening up now. Guess thats the result of opening the windows all the time while driving lol...
Old 12-09-10, 10:25 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another option to consider, is pulling one at a boneyard. Most of them are simply fabric on a cardboard backer that comes right down after unscrewing the A, B and C pillar interior trim.

The U-Pull-It near me charges $20 for one, and It's a pretty easy task removing it. The only problem would be if you had an interior color that was special order, might be hard to find.... if it's gray or tan, chances are good most yards will have some in those shades...

If you go the route of DIY on your own, make sure you take it out of the car and wire brush the foam and adhesive real well from the backer board, then use a name brand ( 3M etc.) adhesive engineered for that application.
Old 12-15-10, 12:42 PM
DTrapani
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's just a small section you can use a needle and a syringe and inject some Elmers glue directly onto the spot that need attached.
Old 01-05-11, 02:56 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

I'm still confused as to what I should do.... I wanna avoid getting a new headliner at all costs because the section that came apart is not that bad, but it is very noticeable.

So, from reading the responses here and other detailing forums I posted on... the adhesive type spray (such as the 3M 377) should not be used because it will not hold and cause the rest of the headliner to sag?

What about the 3m 376 Hi-Tack spray? I read that stuff is much stronger, has anyone tried that route?
Old 01-05-11, 06:49 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
So, from reading the responses here and other detailing forums I posted on... the adhesive type spray (such as the 3M 377) should not be used because it will not hold and cause the rest of the headliner to sag?

What about the 3m 376 Hi-Tack spray? I read that stuff is much stronger, has anyone tried that route?
First off, I think you mean Super 77 from 3M. It's a good product and will not cause the rest of the headliner to sag. Used it for years, and if you follow the directions, it's damn near idiot proof for work like this. That may be an indicator about who you got that erroneous information from...

You do not need the high tack spray (which is 76, not 376). The only reason to use high tack is if you are using a very thick and heavy fabric. You're not.

Read directions. Follow. Enjoy.

Big Mack
Old 01-07-11, 08:07 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Mack
First off, I think you mean Super 77 from 3M. It's a good product and will not cause the rest of the headliner to sag. Used it for years, and if you follow the directions, it's damn near idiot proof for work like this. That may be an indicator about who you got that erroneous information from...

You do not need the high tack spray (which is 76, not 376). The only reason to use high tack is if you are using a very thick and heavy fabric. You're not.

Read directions. Follow. Enjoy.

Big Mack
Thank you for the help. I'm worried about buying the Super 77 because I've read so many accounts that it's not sticky at all and the headliner will come loose in 2 weeks time if the 77 is used?

What's the best way to apply it? How warm of an environment do you have to be working in for it to stick well?
Old 01-07-11, 01:11 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Thank you for the help. I'm worried about buying the Super 77 because I've read so many accounts that it's not sticky at all and the headliner will come loose in 2 weeks time if the 77 is used?
Accounts from whom? I used this stuff for years on headliners, door panels, boxes for carpet, vinyl, leather, and a few other materials. You must follow directions, however.

What's the best way to apply it? How warm of an environment do you have to be working in for it to stick well?
The best way to apply it is dependent on the conditions a bit, but generally you need to apply a fairly good coat to both materials, allow it to tack up for a couple minutes (this is where temp comes in), then firmly attach. If you have the time, I highly recommend placing tape and a weight of some kind on the work, allowing it to cure for 24 hours. If you have a warmer environment, that is very helpful. Since you live in IL/WI, it's not exactly warm right now. You may need to bring it inside. I would not attempt to use it in a temp below 70 realistically.

As for it not working well, I built boxes for my old car, along with cover panels, and carpeted them with basic trunk liner and Super 77 as the adhesive. When I sold them 6 years later, the carpet was still very much attached. When I did vinyl or leather, I always warmed the material for stretchability, then covered it in adhesive, laying on a fairly thick coat on the enclosure or panel. Using a heat gun accelerates the curing, but only a bit. I always shoot for 24 hours regardless.

Big Mack
Old 01-07-11, 04:46 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Accounts from whom? I used this stuff for years on headliners, door panels, boxes for carpet, vinyl, leather, and a few other materials. You must follow directions, however.

The best way to apply it is dependent on the conditions a bit, but generally you need to apply a fairly good coat to both materials, allow it to tack up for a couple minutes (this is where temp comes in), then firmly attach. If you have the time, I highly recommend placing tape and a weight of some kind on the work, allowing it to cure for 24 hours. If you have a warmer environment, that is very helpful. Since you live in IL/WI, it's not exactly warm right now. You may need to bring it inside. I would not attempt to use it in a temp below 70 realistically.

As for it not working well, I built boxes for my old car, along with cover panels, and carpeted them with basic trunk liner and Super 77 as the adhesive. When I sold them 6 years later, the carpet was still very much attached. When I did vinyl or leather, I always warmed the material for stretchability, then covered it in adhesive, laying on a fairly thick coat on the enclosure or panel. Using a heat gun accelerates the curing, but only a bit. I always shoot for 24 hours regardless.

Big Mack
Thank you so much for the help! I'm gonna wait until the summer to do this. I wonder what would be the best way to keep pressure on the area that I'm gluing...
Old 01-07-11, 07:29 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Wink

Thank you so much for the help! I'm gonna wait until the summer to do this. I wonder what would be the best way to keep pressure on the area that I'm gluing...
A trip to the 99 cent store to buy plastic flexible rulers and large chip clips. Line the rulers up on the edge, use the clips to retain. $5.

Big Mack
Old 01-10-11, 07:09 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

it must be a camry thing my 97 camry was the same way. let me know if that fixes it so ican fix mine
Old 01-10-11, 08:04 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the help Big Mack!

willhickey It's gonna be a while man. I'm doing a full detail with paint correction on this Camry in the spring so I'll probably do the headliner when I'm at it. This is going to be late March or April at the earliest because Chicago winters suck.
Old 01-11-11, 04:38 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

okay cool thanks, love the sc too.!