Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Scrape bumpers. Anybody have a step-by-step?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-10, 02:20 AM
GenEric587
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Scrape bumpers. Anybody have a step-by-step?

I apologize for the bad pics, but these were taken by my phone. The first picture was most likely from scraping against cement/concrete and I have no idea how the second one even happened. Both scrapes went through the paint and I think sanding is required. Problem is, I don't know how to do so. Also, should I get the regular touch-up paint or spray? Should I prime it?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by GenEric587; 08-29-10 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-01-10, 05:40 PM
GenEric587
Driver

Bump. Anybody have a step-by-step guide of what to do?
Old 09-01-10, 05:48 PM
Jordan_Inc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wetsand, wetsand, wetsand, wetsand, wetsand, primer, dry, paint, dry, paint, dry, paint, dry, clearcoat, dry, dry, dry, clearcoat, dry dry dry, clearcoat, dry, dry, dry, wait one week, buff.
Old 09-02-10, 02:30 AM
GenEric587
Driver

Grit/type of paint and clear coat?
Old 09-02-10, 11:22 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

i dont think wet sanding is necessary if you're going to primer/paint/clear anyways... wet sand after? Yes but before? not really needed. just make sure the primer can stick to the bumper correctly.. remove any wax/sealant that is on the bumper/the area to reduce fisheyes or watever.

also going that route means youll need to know how to blend the paint correctly. Removing the bumper would be best to avoid any over spray even after masking the surrounding areas.

Did it go through and scrape the actual bumper??

also cheaper alternative is to just buff as much of the scruffs as u can ie

2000 wetsand / buff / polish / seal / wax.... youll still have the deep scratches but the smaller ones will be gone.
Old 09-02-10, 12:06 PM
GenEric587
Driver

Yes, I think I scraped the actual bumper. Especially in the 2nd picture where I couldn't really buff that out.

If I did the sand/buff thing, wouldn't the finish be gone if the polish/wax wear off?
Old 09-02-10, 10:12 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

all you are doing is wetsanding the clear to a nice flat surface since the scruff messed it up and polishing out the haze wetsanding will leave behind (2000/3000 grit) leave behind. it wont be a complete "fix" but its the cheapest alternative to fixing the scruffed areas around the deeper marks.

is it possible to get better pics?? kinda hard to see how bad it is.

btw if you do decide to respray the bumper are you going to DIY? or send to a shop?
Old 09-04-10, 03:01 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

More hassle than its worth.

Get a match in a 'pen' touch up and go over it.

Don't compromise a larger area of the paint job, especially if you don't know what you are doing. Sometimes you can get really lucky and find a great match for paint!
Old 09-17-10, 07:44 PM
GenEric587
Driver

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
More hassle than its worth.

Get a match in a 'pen' touch up and go over it.

Don't compromise a larger area of the paint job, especially if you don't know what you are doing. Sometimes you can get really lucky and find a great match for paint!
I don't think a pen can touch this up. Maybe a quick clean and application of touch up paint, but there would probably be some obvious imperfections.
Originally Posted by vwynn
all you are doing is wetsanding the clear to a nice flat surface since the scruff messed it up and polishing out the haze wetsanding will leave behind (2000/3000 grit) leave behind. it wont be a complete "fix" but its the cheapest alternative to fixing the scruffed areas around the deeper marks.

is it possible to get better pics?? kinda hard to see how bad it is.

btw if you do decide to respray the bumper are you going to DIY? or send to a shop?
Here's a better pic. Sorry it took so long.
Old 09-17-10, 09:38 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,703 Likes on 2,288 Posts

If that was my car, the first thing I would do is take a rubbing compound (I use 3M) and see how much crap you can get off. Once that's done, see if the colour layer is damaged. If so, then hit it with base, wet sand, clear coat, wet sand, polish.

Providing the colour matches, you will be able to blend the repair perfectly.
Old 09-17-10, 09:49 PM
GenEric587
Driver

Talking about this?
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Rubbing-Com.../dp/B001AJ3660
And what grit should I use for that? And what is base? Sorry, I'm new to this whole restoration deal.
Old 09-17-10, 10:05 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

That's the stuff. I especially like it because it removes sanding marks perfectly.

Your steps are:
  1. 3M rubbing compound, remove as much of the scuff as you can
  2. Wet sand with 2000 grit, not too much just enough to make a good surface for the paint to adhere (clean the area after you sand, you'll see the paint has dulled).
  3. Base coat (this is the colour coat) hit the spot directly and a bit of the surrounding area. You don't have to be too precise, you can always sand and polish the overspray off. But do mask off the bumper etc. otherwise you will have more work getting rid of the overspray.
  4. Wet sand. Again just enough to make the surface ready for the clearcoat. Then hit it with clear, don't go crazy with the amount, a couple of normal coats are fine.
    After it's all dry (wait a day after the final coat) you then wet sand again, including the surrounding area, this will blend the paint into the original. Then go over the entire area with your 3M, then use a normal polish.
Most paint says in the instructions that you can re-coat or top coat with clear after a couple of hours. I always wait overnight to put on the clearcoat, the colour coat you can spray, wait 30 minutes, then again. Don't try to paint all in one coat you'll likely get paint sags and runs.

BTW, they sell the 3M rubbing compound at many Walmart stores.

One important tip, overlap the clearcoat more than the base coat, you want to make sure the clearcoat covers the colour coat completely. Also, clean the area with lacquer thinner before you paint, but not between coats, just use plain water and a lint free rag to dry.

Last edited by LeX2K; 09-17-10 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-18-10, 04:53 AM
GenEric587
Driver

So remove the scuff as much as I can with the compound, wet sand, paint, sand again (how long should I wait for the paint to dry before sanding a second time?? Should I give it a good 24 hours or would something like 2 hours be fine?), rubbing compound again, and then polish?
Old 09-18-10, 05:02 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Two coats of the base colour, follow instructions on can. Wait 24 hours, then two coats of clear.

Wait 24 hours after you put on the clear coat, then wet sand, rubbing compound, polish. Don't wax right away, wait a few days at least to let the paint cure.
Old 09-22-10, 07:33 PM
GenEric587
Driver

Thank you!

Quick Reply: Scrape bumpers. Anybody have a step-by-step?