Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Removing water spains from windows

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-10, 10:40 PM
WERK
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing water spains from windows

What's an effective way to remove water stains from windows? For some reason, water does not dry off my windows completely. They'll stain the window no matter what.

In addition I already have water marks that won't come off. I tried the standard bottled window cleaning solutions, vinegar, bleach, mineral spirits, lemons...nothing has worked.

My last option would be the clay bar tomorrow.

And how would I be able to prevent the windows from staining up? Waxing?

Any suggestions or advice?
Old 07-29-10, 01:21 AM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might need to be polished off if leaving a towel soaked in vinegar on for a few minutes wont remove it all
Old 07-29-10, 05:48 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

You can try using a clay bar, then Vinegar, Autoglym Glass Polish and Glass Science Glass Srcub, hopefully one of these will help you out.

http://www.properautocare.com/glcapr.html
Old 07-29-10, 06:25 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I clay my glass every few months when I do a full detail. The spotting is likely dried mineral deposits or airborne pollution that had dried on the glass. If you live in an area served by a coal fired power plant it could also be acid rain. This can etch glass over time so it's a good idea to remove it. If you are seeing this on your glass you can be sure it is on your paint as well. You can also polish your glass with a paint polish like Ultimate Compound or ScratchX.

I use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax on the whole car after every wash to prevent damage. This is a wipe-on / wipe-off product much like a quick detailer so it only adds about 10 minutes to the wash time. This stuff works on paint, plastic trim and glass. It doesn't dry white and enhances your original sealant or wax, restoring the original slickness and extending it's protection. It does make your glass shed water much the same way that Rain-X does.
Old 07-29-10, 12:00 PM
WERK
Rookie

Good thing I live in CA, no acid rain for me. LOL. I detailed the paint, so I got most of the water marks off the body. It's the windows that had me stumped.

I appreciate the suggestions, I'll definitely try the clay bar on my next wash. So when I get the water marks/stains off, I should wax the window huh? That Meguiars Quik Wax sounds like a good idea.

Old 07-29-10, 12:31 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by WERK
...That Meguiars Quik Wax sounds like a good idea.

Not to be confused with Meguiar's Quik Wax, the product I spoke earlier is Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax. The former is not so good on black textured plastic or windows and does not contain the water repelling polymer. If you go that route be sure to get the Ultimate Quik Wax.
Old 07-31-10, 12:18 PM
WERK
Rookie

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Not to be confused with Meguiar's Quik Wax, the product I spoke earlier is Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax. The former is not so good on black textured plastic or windows and does not contain the water repelling polymer. If you go that route be sure to get the Ultimate Quik Wax.
Ahh good catch.

Thanks
Old 07-31-10, 01:51 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WERK
Ahh good catch.

Thanks
You can also note that the UQW comes in the black bottles (like UQ detailer does), as opposed to the regular maroon bottles. Meguiar's thinks ahead and makes it easier for consumers to find the right stuff pretty easily.

Big Mack
Old 08-07-10, 03:10 PM
danthedj
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd do two steps to start off.

First, id start with Glass Science Glass Scrub to get those nasty water spots off.

Then id use Glass Science Rain Clear to protect the windows from future water spots.

ALSO, luckily enough right now Glass Science and Detailed Image are including a sample of Glass Scrub when you purchase Rain Clear. Its only 3.5oz so depending on your car might be big enough or might not. Id suggest picking up both just to be sure.
Old 08-12-10, 11:15 AM
WERK
Rookie

So the clay bar didn't help. I 'll guess I'm trying the glass scrub products as mentioned.

Thanks for the advice so far!
Old 08-13-10, 07:25 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Glass Science Glass Scrub is my go to solution for water marks on glass. Just follow the direction on the bottle and you'll love the results. If you have any questions please let me know.