Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

3M Removal

Old 05-08-14, 08:05 PM
Aversed
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default 3M Removal

Anyone have any tips on the removal of 3M double sided tape?

I had to take off my roof spoiler the other day, and it was A PAIN to remove all of the double sided tape.

Adhesive remover didn't seem to work on it. I heated it with a blow dryer and used my thumbs to roll it up and remove.

1 hour and 2 blisters later, I removed almost all of it, except for some residue.
Old 05-08-14, 08:26 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

If adhesive remover doesn't work on its own, I tend to resort to carefully scraping adhesive residue with Plastic Razor Blades with plenty of 3M adhesive remover for lubrication.

This works great for residue after debadging or removing annoying dealership stickers.

If any marring occurs it will need to be corrected via machine polishing.

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 05-09-14 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-08-14, 09:24 PM
Aversed
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Just the person I wanted to comment on my thread! I love your work!

And I'll have to look for some plastic razor blades tomorrow. I got the spoiler off without touching any of the paint, but I wanted tips for reference for future applications.

By the way, do you have any experience with BFWD? If so, after waiting around 8 hours for it to cure, do I have to rewash my car to clear the dust (my car is in the garage for a few days after cleaning it), or can I just use an spray instant detailer to wipe off the dust, and then apply my 2nd coat?

Thanks a lot!
Old 05-08-14, 09:46 PM
randuff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3m eraser wheel works wonders!

Amazon.com: 3M 03612 4" x 5/8" Adhesive Eraser Wheel: Automotive Amazon.com: 3M 03612 4" x 5/8" Adhesive Eraser Wheel: Automotive
Old 05-09-14, 07:52 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Aversed
Just the person I wanted to comment on my thread! I love your work!

And I'll have to look for some plastic razor blades tomorrow. I got the spoiler off without touching any of the paint, but I wanted tips for reference for future applications.

By the way, do you have any experience with BFWD? If so, after waiting around 8 hours for it to cure, do I have to rewash my car to clear the dust (my car is in the garage for a few days after cleaning it), or can I just use an spray instant detailer to wipe off the dust, and then apply my 2nd coat?

Thanks a lot!
Thank you!

Regarding removing dust... you have to decide if it is safe depending on the amount of buildup on the vehicle. In general, if it is only a light dusting, you can simply use a quality quick detail spray or waterless wash like Optimum No Rinse. However if there is a significant amount of dust, I would do a rinseless wash or even a traditional wash to be safe.

The key to safely cleaning the vehicle without scratching or marring the surface is lubrication. If you are misting a small amount of QD spray on the surface, and gently wiping, this will be enough lubrication if there is very little debris. If there is more, you will need more lubrication.

Another option would be to spray the vehicle off with water, and then proceed with a quick detailer wipe down to dry the vehicle.

This video discusses this exact method and when it may or may not be a good idea.

Just remember... if you have any doubt, simply wash your car to be safe! It isn't worth saving a little time now to risk marring your finish and creating more work for you later.

-Zach