Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Clay barring my car owns me!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-10, 12:41 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by QuachmanES
Claying doesn't remove any of the clear coat. With the lube, the clay simply glides across the surface of the paint and removed any stubborn brake dust, rail dust, etc. that isn't removed during normal washing.

If you run your hand across the paint before and after claying, you can feel a big difference in the smoothness. Claying just removed dust and other contaminants that are stuck to the paint, but doesn't actually do anything to the clear coat.

Polishing is the step where you are actively correcting your paint and removing small amounts of clear coat to lessen or remove scratches and swirl marks.
Ops... I meant polishing often. It would eventually strip off enough clear coats? Do people get the car clear coated after doing so many polishing? The question popped into mind when I clicked the video linked on this thread.

Last edited by sam430; 06-08-10 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-08-10, 02:22 AM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, that would only be to an extreme amount. Polishing only removes very small amounts of clear coat each time.
Old 06-08-10, 09:25 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
Ops... I meant polishing often. It would eventually strip off enough clear coats? Do people get the car clear coated after doing so many polishing? The question popped into mind when I clicked the video linked on this thread.
Polishing if done right only removes a very very fine layer of clear coat and there is no need to get your car re clearcoated even if you polish once or twice a year over a long peroid of time if you polish correctly. Those surface swirls and scratches in your clearcoat that stand out so much in sun light that you polish to correct are so fine you can't even feel them with your fingernail. It does not take much removing of clearcoat to get rid of them. Nobody would polish their car with any regularity if you were taking off significant amounts of clearcoat that the car would need re clearcoating down the line just because of polishing. The elements, bird crap, tree sap etc do far more damage to your clearcoat then regular polishing.

As for claying and detailing if it gets really tiring or takes too long then don't do the entire car in one day. Spread it out. Do the hood and side fenders one day, then do the trunk and rear another day, and the doors and roof another day. Trust me it really helps and breaks up the work and back pain and you don't have to dedicate the entire day just to do your car. I know it is better to do the whole car at once but sometimes that is not possible time wise or it is just too tiring and back breaking. I am in pretty good shape but I remember going through all the steps of washing, claying, polishing, detailing interior, and sealing/waxing 3 black cars right in a row and my back was killing me after doing that. After that I decided not to try to do everything in one day and to just break up doing sections of the car instead.
Old 06-08-10, 09:37 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

I did my first clay bar last month...LOL, I don't want to do it again. I'm going to adapt it to a machine that was linked earlier. The thing with doing it part by part is, you have to clean the car again to get rid of gritty dirt before you clay bar. I like the clay bar attached to a polisher method
Old 06-08-10, 11:21 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by acefalcon2
sandpaper + Polish works best

Andre
I use 40 grit and paint remover as polish and lube.

I really need to clay mine sometime when I'm not so busy with work.
Old 06-08-10, 06:54 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I learned my lesson with claying badly contaminated cars for people. My aunts Accord ate up 2 Megs pro-grade clays before it stopped shedding contaminants. I've since purchased a Decontamination Kit to make it faster and easier on myself...
Old 06-08-10, 06:56 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by eyezack87
I learned my lesson with claying badly contaminated cars for people. My aunts Accord ate up 2 Megs pro-grade clays before it stopped shedding contaminants. I've since purchased a Decontamination Kit to make it faster and easier on myself...

never heard of it... better than clay bar?
Old 06-08-10, 07:21 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Chemical cleaner that breaks down the contaminants. Used before clay since it removes a majority of the contaminants. I'd rather do that than spend 5 hours claying another car like that again...
Old 06-08-10, 07:45 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Chemical cleaner that breaks down the contaminants. Used before clay since it removes a majority of the contaminants. I'd rather do that than spend 5 hours claying another car like that again...
Link to say contamination kit? I've never heard of it before and very interested.
Old 06-08-10, 08:01 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

http://www.valugard.net/cms/xramp/Va...4/Default.aspx
Old 06-08-10, 09:25 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Detailer Domain got this product..
Old 06-10-10, 07:27 AM
LyleBeach
Driver

Originally Posted by ohiois350
i just bought the meguiar clay bar kit, but i am kind nervous to do on my black car, and i never do any wax or polish on my car before, can anyone help how to use the kit on the black car, i am scare to scratch my car or it will turn out ugly, what else beside the clay bar kit? do i need to wax after clay? thanks everyone.
Make sure you wash the car a couple of times first. To make sure there is absolutly no leftover dirt, sand, grit, or anything that can get imbedded in the clay.
Old 06-10-10, 09:24 AM
noe1998
Rookie

Originally Posted by n8236
LOL, sorry, I meant Fahrenheit.

I didn't realize claying windows was necessary hmmm, maybe I should do that next.
ya it helps with little chips and its kinda like rain X and just like the paint it leeeeeeeeevs it smooth
Old 06-10-10, 11:38 AM
LyleBeach
Driver

Originally Posted by ohiois350
i just bought the meguiar clay bar kit, but i am kind nervous to do on my black car, and i never do any wax or polish on my car before, can anyone help how to use the kit on the black car, i am scare to scratch my car or it will turn out ugly, what else beside the clay bar kit? do i need to wax after clay? thanks everyone.
Originally Posted by LyleBeach
Make sure you wash the car a couple of times first. To make sure there is absolutly no leftover dirt, sand, grit, or anything that can get imbedded in the clay.
Oh, and watch a bunch of youtube vids on claying. Thats what I did to make sure I was doing it right.

I just did my brand new 2010 IS350 (Starfire Pearl), and my girlfriends 09 Civic Si (dark blue pearl) and they both came out great!

I just made sure that the cars were both washed twice. All it takes is one peice of sand in the clay to make scratches.

Make sure you use lots of lubricant (quick detailer)

Turn the clay when it becomes to contaminated.
Old 06-10-10, 02:39 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by noe1998
ya it helps with little chips and its kinda like rain X and just like the paint it leeeeeeeeevs it smooth
+1

If you clay your windows, you don't need any rain X. Glass is naturally hydrophobic and will cause the water to bead up and roll off, it's dirt and oil stuck to the glass that cause it to "smear" and reduce visibility.

Quick Reply: Clay barring my car owns me!!