Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Microfiber Towels Scratching Black IS250

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-10, 09:29 AM
bez
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Microfiber Towels Scratching Black IS250

It seems like my black paint is being scratched wi/ these new microfiber drying and polishing towels I got. Anyone have a good place to get some good microfiber towels that don't scratch?
Old 05-31-10, 01:38 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by bez
It seems like my black paint is being scratched wi/ these new microfiber drying and polishing towels I got. Anyone have a good place to get some good microfiber towels that don't scratch?
Quality microfibers are very important - especially if you use them on the paint for finishing products. I would recommend visiting the vendors we have here, as they support our forums and allow us to ask questions like this.

Welcome, too!

Big Mack
Old 05-31-10, 05:05 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

If the towel scratches a CD it will scratch paint. Especially BLACK! You need quailty microfiber.

Koz
Old 05-31-10, 05:25 PM
maxframes
Driver School Candidate

Buy some quality microfibers, wash several times prior to first use, avoid fabric softeners which cause streaking, Just my .02.
Old 05-31-10, 10:32 PM
tC_demon
Pole Position

Bought mine @ Target the orange ones...been working excellent for me had them for little over a year...use them on all my cars. I did try the costco towel 36pk for $16, but after the first wash in the washing machine all of the corners came a part...return them the next day. But i might give them another try.
Old 06-01-10, 01:51 AM
mou
Pole Position

I've been using the costco towels and I dislike it. It leaves so much lint while drying my windshield.
Old 06-01-10, 07:11 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bez
I'm glad you brought this up...all mf towels aren't created equal. There are so many different types and the quality varies depending on the source. The drying cloths I'd recommend are ones we've used for years. What makes our mf drying cloths unique is the foam core. This allows for greater absorption along with a buffer so you don't press to hard on the paint.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...els/Categories

If you guys are interested, we could do a group buy on all our mf towels and pads.
Old 06-01-10, 11:03 AM
tastfulmod
Pole Position

which ones would the group buy be on?
Old 06-01-10, 11:11 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tastfulmod
which ones would the group buy be on?
ALL mf products
Old 06-01-10, 11:41 AM
sigteacher
Driver

Originally Posted by tC_demon
Bought mine @ Target the orange ones...been working excellent for me had them for little over a year...use them on all my cars. I did try the costco towel 36pk for $16, but after the first wash in the washing machine all of the corners came a part...return them the next day. But i might give them another try.
I've had good success with those. Did you wash them on delicate?

Last edited by sigteacher; 06-01-10 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-01-10, 02:43 PM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

High quality mf towels are a must but I am surprised that no one has mentioned the fact that the marring could EASILY be caused by whatever wash media you are using. Black paint is a beast.....it shows everything.
Old 06-01-10, 09:07 PM
DetailMan
Driver

Could have nothing to do with the towels you're currently using. What brand are they?
Old 06-01-10, 10:03 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Erm, did you wash them before using? If you didn't, I'd give them another chance because you need to wash them before you touch paint with it

If not, get some higher quality ones and you should be fine. I find that there are few that do not scratch Jet Black BMW paint so I usually stock up on those
Old 06-02-10, 02:20 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

We carry many top quality Microfiber towels here if interested. I highly recommend DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel and DI Microfiber Ultra Plush Two Sided Towel for most interior and exterior work (cleaning, removing wax, etc.). For drying the DI Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towel is supreme, it's very absorbent and paint safe!

Caring for microfiber and storing it properly is critical. Check out our detailing guide and Ask A Pro section for directions and microfiber care tips!

We offer 10% off with the coupon code 10offCL and you can combine that with quantity discounts on most of microfiber towels we carry. If you have any questions please let me know.

Greg @ DI