Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
Old 01-07-15, 04:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

Help: IS350 engine bay cleaning

Old 05-22-10, 04:44 PM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: IS350 engine bay cleaning

I read some of the threads on cleaning the engine bay and wanted to know if there is any tips or details I might of missed. I know I should wrap the ECU, alternator, battery, and my K&N intake. Is there any other components I should wrap? Will water seep into the engine if I spray it will water i.e spark plug slots? Also should I remove the under guard cover of the engine? What are good products to use for metal and restoring plastics and hoses? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-22-10, 05:10 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Hope this help some of you is cleaning/detailing your engine bay.

Detailing your engine bay and keeping it clean not only makes working on your engine easier but it shows a sense of pride of ownership. Modern engines are fairly easy to clean and detail, but keep in mind that you will using liquids and water around electrical equipment. Modern cars are sealed very well from the factory, but you should protect equipment such as the ECU or the Alternator. If you don't know what these are or what they look like, then you shouldn't detail your engine.

Here are some Products.

-A quality degreaser such as Eimann Fabrik's VOC Engine Degreaser or Meguiars Super Degreaser

-A couple of brushes (I use old paint brushes)

-Running water

-Towels

-Your favorite dressing such as Meguiars Natural Shine, Meguiars Hyperdressing, or 1Z's Vinyl-Rubber Care and Protectant

1) The engine can be warm or cool to the touch, although warmer temperatures will help break down grease and grime. However you do NOTwant to spray cool water on a hot engine!

2) Use aluminum foil and wrap it around sensitive electrical equipment such as alternator or the ECU. Do NOT use aluminum foil on the battery as you could bridge the terminals.

3) Where gloves and eye protection to protect against any caustic chemicals. You do NOT want engine degreaser ending up in your eye's!

4) Spray a liberal amount of engine degreaser on all areas that need to be cleaned and allow to dwell for 30 seconds.

5) Agitate the degreaser into a lather using a soft brush to help facilitate the removal of stubborn grease and grit.

6) Rinse throughly using flowing water. Avoid spraying water with pressure on to sensitive equipment, but rather work around them. Rinse all solution off the engine, fire wall, and inner fenders.

7) Dry the engine as much as possible. If you have a high speed electric leaf blower use it remove as much standing water as possible from all the various nooks and crannies. If you have a wet vac you can use this to such water out of tight areas. If you have neither use a towel to soak up as much as possible.

8) Close engine bay and start engine. Allow to run up to normal operating temperature for at least 5 minutes.

9) After engine dries, apply your favorite dressing to the hoses and plastics, and enjoy!

In pictures:

My mother's Hyundai was in desperate need of having its engine detailed. A perfect demo car in need of some love!

I sprayed the engine compartment down with a liberal coat of Eimann Fabrik's VOC Engine Degreaser. The degreaser immediately began to loosen the grease and grime.

Very dirty areas require agitation with a soft brush.

The underside of the hood was very dirty as well, and in need of a little cleaning.

After flushing the engine bay throughly with water, little areas of grime might remain. This is a perfect time, if you desire, to get out a q-tip and clean any spots up.

Remove as much standing water as possible, then close the engine and allow it to run up to operation temperature to facilitate drying. After it cools down, apply your favorite dressing and enjoy! I used 1Z Rubber-Vinyl Care 'Tienfienpfleger'

[/FONT][/COLOR]
Old 05-25-10, 11:01 PM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

Thanks. I did read your post and it was helpful. I wanted to see if anyone with a IS250/350 have clean their engine so I could confirm some steps that needed to be taken. Is the Mequiar degreaser safe to use on all components if not what is a safe APC? The engine is very dusty because it was parked outside for 2 years in a farm town. I was thinking of removing all the plastic covers and getting every cracks, corners, crannies however you say it. I'm also going to remove the K&N air filter to clean and wrap the intake entrance. Is painters masking tape safe to use on the car's paint surface?

Thanks
Old 05-26-10, 05:54 PM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

I took it to a body shop and got an estimate because I wanted them to a few other things too.

Clean engine bay thoroughly.
Remove nickle size dent from passenger side front fender.
Touch up some paint chips/scratches from freeway driving etc.
Detail inside and outside of the car including headlights polish.

He was going to charge me $250 and need the car for a whole day, overnight would be better he said. Does that sound like a fair deal? I know it would depend how much detail he puts into it, but in general how does that sound?
He says he would use a power washer and told me it was safe. He also said that the only thing he would wrap is the K&N intake. The alternator and ECU would not need to be wrap but he can do it if I requested. Said that the pressure washer is lite and won't get into those parts where it would affect it. Does this sound right, any pro detailer do this as well?
Old 05-29-10, 07:31 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsoarer
I took it to a body shop and got an estimate because I wanted them to a few other things too.

He was going to charge me $250 and need the car for a whole day, overnight would be better he said. Does that sound like a fair deal? I know it would depend how much detail he puts into it, but in general how does that sound?
He says he would use a power washer and told me it was safe. He also said that the only thing he would wrap is the K&N intake. The alternator and ECU would not need to be wrap but he can do it if I requested. Said that the pressure washer is lite and won't get into those parts where it would affect it. Does this sound right, any pro detailer do this as well?
there is only 1 service he is offering that you probably cant do yourself, the dent repair. do some research in this forum and will find out how to polish your own headlights, clean your engine and get a decent touch up kit and do it yourself. at the end of the day, you will have spent the same (or less) but have all the stuff to do it again (and again) in the future.
Old 05-29-10, 08:02 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soulsoarer

$250 for all that work sounds way too cheap. Chips and dent should be $250 on their own. What is he doing as far as a detail? You need to know what you're paying for. Be very careful of places that offer these services for so cheap. It may cost more in the long run. The only other reason why it may be so cheap could be they need business very bad.
Old 05-29-10, 08:54 PM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

probably just a simple wash and polish/wax on the outside and clean the leather in the inside. Most of the money will probably be for the dent removal and touch up. I'll let you know how it goes once its done.