Notices
Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Boar's hair brush

Old 01-23-10, 07:22 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Boar's hair brush

What do you guys think of using boar's hair brushes instead of mitts for washing a car?

I am part of an unlimited carwash and detailing program - i.e. I can take my car in for any type of treatment as often as possible. However they switched their hand wash from mitts to boar's hair. Will this cause fine scratches in the black finish?

I was finding my previous carwash tended to create swirls with mitts, so I am not sure whether to go with this or to make these guys use a mitt on my car.
Old 01-24-10, 01:31 PM
Angelo
Detailing Friend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here are some great wash mitts to use on your ride.

also use this item for washing also.

Old 01-24-10, 01:49 PM
bjsdjs300
Driver School Candidate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

id have them use a mitt u supply. that way u get it back and can clean it. with there brush id be worried about the crap that builds up on the brush they use on ever car. but i also wouldnt let anyone touch my car unless i know exactly what there using. u should try ONR to keep up ur car look good after there wash.
Old 01-24-10, 02:02 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bjsdjs300 View Post
id have them use a mitt u supply. that way u get it back and can clean it. with there brush id be worried about the crap that builds up on the brush they use on ever car. but i also wouldnt let anyone touch my car unless i know exactly what there using. u should try ONR to keep up ur car look good after there wash.
What is ONR?
Old 01-24-10, 02:37 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by batman75 View Post
What is ONR?
Optimum No Rinse.

It's a waterless wash product, and is sold by most of the detailing supply vendors here.

Big Mack
Old 01-24-10, 04:52 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wouldn't use it. I'll just stick with a lambswool wash mitt.
Old 01-24-10, 09:09 PM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not a fan of anything else other than 100% Natural Lambs Wool mitts. The problem with the boar's hair brush is that it's really not that gentle on today's soft water-based paints. Specially on Japanese cars which have even softer paints than most cars.
Old 01-26-10, 02:17 PM
[email protected]
Sponsor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have seen some professionals use these, however I am not a fan of them. I just dont see how they could clean well, if you push down too hard your going to have a nightmare of swirling and if you hold it too light, its not going to work. I typically use a Micro-chinelle mitt, like this one.. http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo...rmichwami.html
Old 01-30-10, 08:33 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i have never used a boars head brush on paint, but the one i do own for my rims, the bristles are very soft. if you use the 2 bucket method with grit guards in each bucket, you can tremendously reduce the chance of causing swirls in your paint by releasing the dirt into the buckets, but as one poster stated before, if you use too much pressure, you may still get swirls.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boar's hair brush

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: