Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Blue Jean Stains on light colored leather

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-09, 06:11 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Blue Jean Stains on light colored leather

Searching the internet, it seems the favored leather care products are Leatherique, Lexol and Meguiars.

However I have been unable to find the definitive answer for the removal of blue jean stains on new, light colored, Lexus leather.

Some articles mention using a magic eraser, that concerns me as not being a satisfactory solution or safe solution.

Any confirmed and safe advice for removing such discoloration? I would like to get the product(s) needed to remove it and also begin using them on a routine basis.

Thanks,
Old 12-28-09, 08:28 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd recommend Leather Masters Strong Leather Cleaner followed by Leather Master Protection Cream. The protection cream will resist future staining from blue jeans and leather belts.

The cleaning may take several applications. Apply the foamy mixture and let it dwell for a couple minutes. Wipe of with a damp microfiber towel to completely remove the detergent and dry with another. Don't overwet the leather. If the stain is still present repeat the process. You may want to use a soft nylon brush to agitate the area if the stain is very stubborn.

The leather is really a painted urethane coating on split leather and all the color and texture is due to the coating. If you use something too abrasive you are in danger of cutting through this coating so be careful.

Don't confuse the protection cream with a leather conditioner. They are not the same and a conditioner will not do anything to inhibit future stains.
Old 12-28-09, 09:47 PM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the stain is really bad, sometimes it is on Lexus hides, use Autoglym Interior Cleaner/Shampoo. It works like a charm every time. Simply spray the seat, agitate with soft bristle shoe brush, then wipe clean with mf towel. You will need to condition the hide right after cleaning it.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ttle%2C/Detail
Old 12-29-09, 07:56 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I stopped at the dealership today and picked up a Lexus branded cleaner and a conditioner. The service manager indicated they had other folks express concerns with the light colored leather and blue jean stains and the Lexus cleaner has been effective.

I do wonder who makes the product for them.
Old 12-29-09, 08:46 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have sandy pebble beige interior seats and my jeans bleed all the time. I usually just use water with a microfiber towel and it comes right off, of course applying leather conditioner after. Good luck.
Old 01-01-10, 10:49 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Thanks very much for your suggestions. I stopped at the dealership today and picked up a Lexus branded cleaner and a conditioner. The service manager indicated they had other folks express concerns with the light colored leather and blue jean stains and the Lexus cleaner has been effective.

I do wonder who makes the product for them.
how did this work removing the dye from your jeans?
Old 01-01-10, 04:49 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Originally Posted by varcity64
Temperatures go'n sub zero, gotta find a better heated garage tomorrow. Will report after.
Old 01-03-10, 01:39 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Default Blue gone

The blue is gone. Due to the cold, 50 degrees, in the garage I think the leather ended up just a little slicker than originally. I did run the car heater and seat warmers before cleaning and conditioning.

Used a microfiber cloth to rub on cleaner and another one to wipe off any excess. Used a third and fourth to apply and remove conditioner.

Will continue using on a regular basis until bottles empty and reconsider if continue with this product or switch to another. Leaving rear, seldom used, seats untreated for now to compare for texture or color changes compared to treated front seats.

Thanks all for the interest.
Old 01-03-10, 03:57 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for reporting back... what is the year and make of your car?
Old 01-03-10, 06:41 PM
DunWkg
Racer

thanks for reporting back... what is the year and make of your car?
2010 RX450h, Obsidian black, Parchment interior.
Old 05-01-12, 12:11 PM
mikli
Rookie

this post is useful. I'm going to try to clean this weekend
Old 05-06-12, 10:33 AM
TOGWT
Rookie

Leather Master™ Super Remover - for removing blue jean or dark clothing dye transfer, leather belt and deep stains like mustard on protected finished leathers. This product works, even when nothing else will.

Often on light-colour leathers, it appears that the colour is coming off the leather because you can only see the surface.

What is actually happening is a transfer of a lighter colour to the finished leather's surface from blue jeans and/or dark colour clothing
Old 02-12-14, 07:57 AM
LindaEll
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate all these suggestions. My 2013 RX350 is just about 6 months old and already the parchment leather on the driver's seat is completely blue. I've been using Armorall leather conditioner with so-so results. Have to try these other products.
Old 05-07-23, 06:19 PM
Kallios
1st Gear

Did the Lexus product work?
Thank you,
Joe
Old 05-08-23, 08:38 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

You can actually use Woolite delicates laundry detergent mixed with a little water to clean stains/dirt off the seats. I've used it many times and is gentle on the leather & most importantly doesn't damage the color dye of the seats.

Quick Reply: Blue Jean Stains on light colored leather