Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Cleaning/Maintaining Dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-09, 08:24 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cleaning/Maintaining Dashboard

Has anyone found any good products for keeping the dash clean and shiny. I have a obsidian/black interior and I'm looking for a good product that would preserve the dash. I'm not sure what the material is made of, seems like it is a very soft rubber. I don't want to go on the cheap and get Armour All, there has to be better product. I have been using a damp micro cloth so far. Has anyone had any success with keeping the dash tight? ... Thanks
Old 07-05-09, 12:01 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just use some mild soap and water on a micro cloth. I don't use any products on the dash as I do not want it shiny so that it minimizes any glare on the windshield.
Old 07-05-09, 03:45 PM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I use Meguiar's wipes, not greasy and leaves mat finish.
Old 07-07-09, 09:08 AM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The best product in the world is all Meguiar's Products...

Are you looking for a Shiny look or a matte/natural look?

Get a Meguiars Supreme Shine Microfiber Towel

and either:

Supreme Shine Protectant

or

Natural Shine Protectant

The Best Products!
Old 07-07-09, 06:11 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Everyone,

Thanks for the input. I'm looking just to maintain the look it has now, which is more of a natural look. Megafast13, I appreciate the input. I have used Meguiars Products and I have been generally impressed. Thanks for the link. I have not tried the wipes as rx300mm mentioned, but will look for it. I have been using a damp cloth so far as garsarno mentioned (good point about possible glare). Much appreciated.
Old 07-08-09, 07:39 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been using Aerospace 303 protectant on my ES's dash for the past 2.5 years. It protects against UV rays. It doesn't make the dash shiny. It just keeps it clean and protects against sun damage. I use this product for all the plastic and vinyl on my cars. It does a great job.
Old 07-12-09, 04:52 PM
bone215
Driver School Candidate

what is wrong with armor all? I used it and it works fine on my dash, not shiney at all.
Old 07-13-09, 08:09 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Armor all is too shiny....for my taste...I don't want anything more shinier than the original look....
Old 07-13-09, 10:50 PM
love_lexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexPaul
Has anyone found any good products for keeping the dash clean and shiny.
Please be cautious of making it shine in summer time, it could glare your eye constantly on the road.
Old 07-20-09, 11:47 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Thanks...for the words of caution Love_Lexus....I don't want a gloss...just a natural black look as it is now.....just trying to maintain the original beauty.....I guess I shouldn't have used the word 'shiny'..
Old 07-20-09, 11:52 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

I'm going to try Aerospace 303 as mentioned above..... It has excellent reviews...seems to be what I'm looking for....Thanks to all....
Old 07-21-09, 12:30 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Please, for the love of all things holy, do NOT make your dash shiny. This is an old trend stemming from the 1970's that one must put Armor-all or something greasy on the dash to prevent it from cracking. Maybe a good idea for the cheap plastics back then, but with today's modern cars, one does not need any sort of sealant on the dash. Adding something slimy and greasy creates hazardous glare, attracts dust, hair, dirt, breaks down the plastic, fades, and generally makes things dirtier over time and destroys the finish. Not to mention it looks very cheesy and cheap. Today's modern expensive cars come with low-glass interior finishes. (You will also see a trend of low gloss wood coming soon too).
All one needs to do to clean the dash is use a clean, damp rag/cloth and gently wipe it down on a regular basis. The water in the rag will not damage anything and it will pick up all dust and scuff marks nicely. This is the method I've done for over twenty years and my dashes always look brand new. I've never tried the McGuires wipes, but they sound like they do the same thing (save your $).

Good luck and happy detailing.
Old 08-21-09, 06:13 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will just go with a damp micro-towel and perhaps try the McGuires wipes. Although, Aerospace 303 seems like it would also be a viable option, but I definitely don't want a 'cheap' shiny look.
Old 08-21-09, 06:57 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexPaul
Thanks for all the replies. I think I will just go with a damp micro-towel and perhaps try the McGuires wipes. Although, Aerospace 303 seems like it would also be a viable option, but I definitely don't want a 'cheap' shiny look.
dont do water. as im sure it will do a great job cleaning the dust off the dash, it will not offer any UV protection. Personally, i use 303 Aerospace and absolutely love it. there is no cheesy shine and attracts no dirt. the look is absolutely stunning as well. i am certain you will not be able to obtain this look with just water. in the end, its your money and your car. im sure you will do what is best for you
Old 08-21-09, 06:58 PM
jlt23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Poorboy's Natural Look. Love the smell too.

Quick Reply: Cleaning/Maintaining Dashboard