Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Clay Bar and Dishwashing soap use

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-09, 09:30 AM
mcamson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clay Bar and Dishwashing soap use

Questions:
1) If I wax my car every two months, is it necessary to use a dishwashing soap to remove old wax? What are the benefits of removing old wax?

2) My Meguire's clay bar instructions don't say to wash the car after using the clay bar. It says to go directly into a cleaner wax. Why do some people wash their cars again after the clay bar? Is this necessary?

3) Do you get a shinier car if you claybar before you wax your car?
Old 08-09-09, 09:38 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

1) by stripping old wax, u get a nice fresh start and it makes polishing alot easier.

2) i wash my car because sometimes the contaminants get into the lube and it dries up on the car.

3) yep, claybar makes the paint more smooth also for an easier application for wax.
Old 08-09-09, 09:39 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You do not need to re-wash car after clay bar. It is not necessary if you already wiped down the car with a clean MF towel and QD or clay lube. It is a matter of perference. I perfer to re-wash a car after polishing, lots of dust everywhere after polishing with a PC.

Surface contaminants compromise the finish of any paint surface. If there are surface contaminants, the paint will appear dull and lack depth. After claying, the paint will look deeper especially when you are using a quality quick detailer as a lube. So yes, claying will help with paint dept and clarity.

Last edited by One HoT; 08-09-09 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-09-09, 09:43 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mcamson
Questions:
1) If I wax my car every two months, is it necessary to use a dishwashing soap to remove old wax? What are the benefits of removing old wax?

2) My Meguire's clay bar instructions don't say to wash the car after using the clay bar. It says to go directly into a cleaner wax. Why do some people wash their cars again after the clay bar? Is this necessary?

3) Do you get a shinier car if you claybar before you wax your car?
1. No. The more layers you have, the better. But most OTC products will remove the old stuff as they go.

2. Meguiars is an excellent clay, however, it leaves little streaks of residue behind if you arent careful. In order to ensure a flawless finish, I always wash again after claying.

3. YES YES AND YES. Your finish will look and feel 100X better after you clay. It will literally make you want to touch your car. Clay, polish, glaze, wax and seal. This will guarantee a stunning finish. The best part is, If you maintain your finish, you will only have to completely clay your car once a year, if even that much. The rest of the time, you can just spot clay. I wash 2x a week, wax/seal once a month, clay once every 6 months, polish and glaze every 90 days or so.
Old 08-10-09, 02:42 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by OCDetailer
1. No. The more layers you have, the better. But most OTC products will remove the old stuff as they go.

2. Meguiars is an excellent clay, however, it leaves little streaks of residue behind if you arent careful. In order to ensure a flawless finish, I always wash again after claying.

3. YES YES AND YES. Your finish will look and feel 100X better after you clay. It will literally make you want to touch your car. Clay, polish, glaze, wax and seal. This will guarantee a stunning finish. The best part is, If you maintain your finish, you will only have to completely clay your car once a year, if even that much. The rest of the time, you can just spot clay. I wash 2x a week, wax/seal once a month, clay once every 6 months, polish and glaze every 90 days or so.
you sound like me except I get the car washed only once a week. I love driving an immaculately clean car
Old 08-10-09, 06:30 PM
DoktorYes
Rookie

OCDetailer You are my Hero! I agree 100 percent with your reply!!!
Old 08-10-09, 08:31 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Basically - wash,clay,polish,glaze (optional),lsp. The End.
Old 08-10-09, 08:59 PM
Motil10108
Driver

1) No, you don't NEED the dishwash soap to strip off all the old stuff, but it does help. I was detailing today and i used some dawn to clean everything off first and it gives a great surface to start off with for a quick wash and wax.

2) As a normal Meguiar's Clay user myself, i don't wash after clay. Reason being, i do a pretty good job with wiping off all the excess Q.D. (or whatever lubricant you choose) and the contaminants left on the car. A wash after clay couldn't hurt but it's not necessary if you did a good follow up on the clay.

3)OMG YES, Like others have said and i have experienced first hand myself, the clay makes a huge difference before applying wax. After you clay, touch the paint and it will feel like glass (nice clean surface with no contaminants). This sets up the perfect foundation to continue with wax and other detailing steps if you so choose.

I usually use Meg's Gold class to wax and the the car looks downright AMAZING after clay and wax. Plus, the water just beads like crazy. The extra time with the clay is worth it.