Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Scratches by door handle

Old 10-28-09, 02:37 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For you guys, this would be a perfect reason to open the car door for the woman in your life when she steps in & out. She'll think your being a gentlemen while your just doing it to protect the paint under the door handles.
Old 06-13-16, 02:59 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Sorry for bringing back an old thread. But, I just bought the ScratchX 2.0, and is going to apply it behind my door handles.

There seems to be a good amount of fingernail scratches, will this product actually remove the scratches?

I've read some reviews, and after a wash the scratches will reappear...
Old 06-13-16, 03:38 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
Sorry for bringing back an old thread. But, I just bought the ScratchX 2.0, and is going to apply it behind my door handles.

There seems to be a good amount of fingernail scratches, will this product actually remove the scratches?

I've read some reviews, and after a wash the scratches will reappear...
Thank you for reviving an existing thread instead of starting a new one

ScratchX is a lighter to moderate polish that will in fact remove material to level scratches, however deeper scratches will require more work. I recommend applying a small amount to a microfiber towel that is wrapped around two fingers. Slide the towel behind the door handle and rub vigorously. Wipe away the residue and examine your results, repeat as needed until the majority of defects have been removed. I typically use a heavier cutting compound for this task as it is much quicker, but scratch x should make a solid improvement.
Old 06-13-16, 04:01 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I've notice some improvements. But, overtime & washing the car. Will the scratches resurface?

I mean, they are really just fingernail scratches. I once used water and a micro cloth and rubbed some out.
Old 06-13-16, 06:47 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

The paint will become scratched again by fingernails, but the scratches you removed will not magically reappear.

A polish (like scratch x) is a liquid which contains micro abrasives in it, and when this abrasive liquid is rubbed against your paint, it removes a fine layer of paint which physically removes the scratch as the scratch is just an uneven surface.

The only way the same scratch would reappear over time is if the product being used contained fillers that help to hide the defects. I do not believe scratch x contains fillers.

-Zach
Old 06-13-16, 07:28 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
The paint will become scratched again by fingernails, but the scratches you removed will not magically reappear.

A polish (like scratch x) is a liquid which contains micro abrasives in it, and when this abrasive liquid is rubbed against your paint, it removes a fine layer of paint which physically removes the scratch as the scratch is just an uneven surface.

The only way the same scratch would reappear over time is if the product being used contained fillers that help to hide the defects. I do not believe scratch x contains fillers.

-Zach
Ahh, okay. Sounds good. As long as it doesn't reappear thats fine. Once, I get it all buffed out, I'm gonna look for some protective films for the handles.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.