Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best for drying car???

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-09, 06:31 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Best for drying car???

First off I hate chameois (spelling ?)! I am currently using the "California Water Blade" initially (which works great) then use the inside of an old t-shirt to get the rest of the drips.

Can anyone recommend a better drying technique or drying towel and where I could buy? I feel like the damn t-shirt is making hair-like scratches in the paint after I use it. I tried using softer clothes but I noticed that when they are too soft they don't absorb any water at all = frusturating.

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-29-09, 08:04 AM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a water blade along with an absorber. Then finish with a big blue sonus der wunder waffle weave microfiber towel. Works well for me.
Old 07-29-09, 08:30 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

absorber...good investment. i heard of the water blade actually scratching the car cause it could pick up dirt and etc and as u brush it off the car, it scratches the paint with it.
Old 07-29-09, 08:38 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

My preferred method... Leaf blower and then followup with quick detail (QD) spray and a quality microfiber towel
Old 07-29-09, 08:47 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
My preferred method... Leaf blower and then followup with quick detail (QD) spray and a quality microfiber towel
lol...I was actually thinking of this but didn't really think many did this.

My brother-in-law owns a landscaping business and one day when I was done washing my car while he was doing my lawn he walked by and turned his gas blower on high and dried my entire car in under a minute! It was pretty funny actually...then he mentioned that he does it all the time with his Zo6.
Old 07-29-09, 08:52 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

leaf blower for wheels then absorber for body.
Old 07-29-09, 09:16 AM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leaf blower and a waffle weave.
Old 07-29-09, 09:21 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For drying, this 24x36 waffle weave drying towel is awesome. You can even give a real quick misting with Spray n Wipe right after you finish washing and prior to using the towel It'll help prevent any water spots and also give a little extra boost in the finish
Old 07-29-09, 11:02 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
For drying, this 24x36 waffle weave drying towel is awesome. You can even give a real quick misting with Spray n Wipe right after you finish washing and prior to using the towel It'll help prevent any water spots and also give a little extra boost in the finish
I just might check out that waffle weave towel! Thanks!

Thanks to all for the advice...I think I know what to do now.
Old 07-29-09, 05:45 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Using the blot drying technique is really important to safe drying which you can read about in our Detailing Guide. I also recommend using a large microfiber waffle weave drying towel for this step. They are super absorbent with paint safe threading and silk edges.

Let me know if you have any questions about these towels or any part of the drying process. Also don't forget we are offering 15% off and Free S/H on orders over $99 through 7/31 with the coupon code Summer2009 if you are interested.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 07-29-09, 07:01 PM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use a waffle weave towel on my car and it comes out great no water spots i have a silver car and the black must b a pain in the a** you have to get it. it saves so much time you can do half the car on one dry towel and just ring it out and do the other half. And no more water spot on the glass
Old 07-29-09, 07:21 PM
Lynn Matthews
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by DonCorleone
I use a water blade along with an absorber. Then finish with a big blue sonus der wunder waffle weave microfiber towel. Works well for me.
Yes, the shirt can for sure scratch just as even the softest terrycloth towels can scratch too. I just use the Sonus Der Wunder Drying Towel. I find it faster than using multiple things and I need to dry quick because it is hot where I live and my black SUV dries quick! The other thing I like about the microfiber drying towels is that I have a few so I always have a fresh clean towel to dry with.

Lynn
Old 07-29-09, 08:59 PM
mocheen
Rookie

I use a water blade and a large waffle weave towel. I am always afraid of the blade scratching my paint up. The waffle towel is great and I am actually thinking about buying a second one. It helps to get rid of the water spots on the black GX.
Old 07-29-09, 09:04 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I built a DI water filter system to reduce water spot. I still dry my car with a waffle weave to dry the rest in case dust gets a chance to settle in the water droplets.

I then blast the creaks and crevices with compressed air.
Old 07-29-09, 10:41 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) California Water Blade
2) Big Blue III Drying Towel x2
3) Pressurized air with blow tip from compressor

AZ hard water is brutal. I have drying down to a science. The air compressor is key.

Quick Reply: Best for drying car???