Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Review: Leatherique System on a 2003 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-09, 03:16 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Review: Leatherique System on a 2003 350Z

Greg at DetailedImage.com had a special on Leatherique last month. A friend of mine has a 2003 350Z that was in desperate need of some attention on the leather. If I had to guess, the leather had never been cleaned. I finally convinced him to get the product right before the sale ended and got the products this week. Here are some before shots of the leather:

Drivers Side:

Passenger Side:

The seats were filty and dry and in desperate need of something. I applied the Rujevantor Oil liberally by hand. I made sure every square inch was saturated with this stuff. However, I would not recommend doing this by hand as it was really messy. The tutorial on Detailed Image says to use a foam applicator and to pour some of the oil in a cup. I will definitely do this next time around. Once the seats were covered in the oil, they were wrapped in black garbage bags and the oil was left on for a 24 hour period:

The 24 hour period went by and this is what the seats looked like once the bags were removed:

You can see the the oil on there and needs to be removed. I did not have a leather brush to clean with, but I did have a brush with some stiff bristles that I used along with the Leatherique Pristine Cleaner. I put a spray nozzle on top of the bottle for easier application and began scrubbing away at the leather with the cleaner, and man, it was amazing.The amount of dirt that was coming loose was unbelievable. I scrubbed both seats with the cleaner and left it on there to penetrate for about a 1/2 hour. After both seats were scrubbed clean, I took a few cotton towels and some water in a bucket to remove the residue left on the seat and this picture (water used to wipe the passenger seat clean) says it all:

What you see is the amount of dirt that was removed from the less soiled seat. Pretty AMAZING! I repeated the process for the drivers seat with another towel and then used a third towel to give both seats a final wipe down. I finished these seats off with some 303 Aerospace Protectant and here are the final results:

Drivers Seat (pic does absolutely no justice as there was no lighting):

Passenger Seat:

This process was done over a 24 hour period. Applying the oil took approx. 45 mins and the cleaning took about 1.5 hours the next day. My overall impression of this product can be summed up in 2 words, AMAZING and WOW. I am always skeptical about products because usually, "results are not typical" but in this instance, the results were great. The light color of the interior helps show the difference. I do not know how much this will help or show on newer vehicles but if you have an older vehicle and the leather needs some attention, this is the product to get. Thanks to Greg @ DI
Old 06-07-09, 03:40 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

nice. i should wait 24 hours instead of 6 hours for the rejuv oil... hah.. oh well
Old 06-07-09, 04:20 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write-up. Thanks for posting your application, photos and results. It does truly look amazing! Nice work. Did your friend supply beverages for all your hard work? Greg and DI
Old 06-07-09, 08:11 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, I use my hands when I use the rejuvinator oil. It's easier to work into the seats and seams with your hands than with a pad or rag, IMO.
Old 06-08-09, 09:32 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
FWIW, I use my hands when I use the rejuvinator oil. It's easier to work into the seats and seams with your hands than with a pad or rag, IMO.
2nd. I too apply it by hand and recommend that method.
Seats turned out nice! Great job!
Old 06-09-09, 12:51 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

I've got to try this stuff for my seats.
Old 06-09-09, 01:23 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Maybe because the thinner it is the better?
Old 06-09-09, 03:55 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, I gotta use this again on the RX pretty soon. I wish it would get hot again in SoCal again haha. Great review bud
Old 06-09-09, 05:48 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Awesome review and documentation of your work. I appreciate you sharing your experience with the Lexus community. Very nicely done!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-15-09, 10:53 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the results of this stuff!! I am thinking about using this stuff on my old merc. The leather has no rips its just 37 years old and showing age.... Is theyre any chance of damaging the leather?
Old 06-16-09, 06:09 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bad co
I really like the results of this stuff!! I am thinking about using this stuff on my old merc. The leather has no rips its just 37 years old and showing age.... Is theyre any chance of damaging the leather?
I don't forsee any possible problems with the leather. I've used it on many older and classic cars. With any new product on a new surface I always test it in a small less visible area. If you want to be sure you can even e-mail leatherique directly. They have very good customer service as well.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-29-09, 01:18 PM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

I would also give a big thumbs up to this product. Try using latex gloves when applying by hand and I highly recommend doing this when you can leave the car outside with the windows rolled up in 90+ temperatures......the hotter the better.
Old 12-27-10, 10:13 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by varcity64
Greg at DetailedImage.com had a special on Leatherique last month. A friend of mine has a 2003 350Z that was in desperate need of some attention on the leather. If I had to guess, the leather had never been cleaned. I finally convinced him to get the product right before the sale ended and got the products this week. Here are some before shots of the leather:

Drivers Side:

Passenger Side:

The seats were filty and dry and in desperate need of something. I applied the Rujevantor Oil liberally by hand. I made sure every square inch was saturated with this stuff. However, I would not recommend doing this by hand as it was really messy. The tutorial on Detailed Image says to use a foam applicator and to pour some of the oil in a cup. I will definitely do this next time around. Once the seats were covered in the oil, they were wrapped in black garbage bags and the oil was left on for a 24 hour period:

The 24 hour period went by and this is what the seats looked like once the bags were removed:

You can see the the oil on there and needs to be removed. I did not have a leather brush to clean with, but I did have a brush with some stiff bristles that I used along with the Leatherique Pristine Cleaner. I put a spray nozzle on top of the bottle for easier application and began scrubbing away at the leather with the cleaner, and man, it was amazing.The amount of dirt that was coming loose was unbelievable. I scrubbed both seats with the cleaner and left it on there to penetrate for about a 1/2 hour. After both seats were scrubbed clean, I took a few cotton towels and some water in a bucket to remove the residue left on the seat and this picture (water used to wipe the passenger seat clean) says it all:

What you see is the amount of dirt that was removed from the less soiled seat. Pretty AMAZING! I repeated the process for the drivers seat with another towel and then used a third towel to give both seats a final wipe down. I finished these seats off with some 303 Aerospace Protectant and here are the final results:

Drivers Seat (pic does absolutely no justice as there was no lighting):

Passenger Seat:

This process was done over a 24 hour period. Applying the oil took approx. 45 mins and the cleaning took about 1.5 hours the next day. My overall impression of this product can be summed up in 2 words, AMAZING and WOW. I am always skeptical about products because usually, "results are not typical" but in this instance, the results were great. The light color of the interior helps show the difference. I do not know how much this will help or show on newer vehicles but if you have an older vehicle and the leather needs some attention, this is the product to get. Thanks to Greg @ DI

wait- so you use oil BEFORE cleaning? I would like to try this. I currently use the zaino system. spray cleaner and leather in a bottle. my seats are black, so dirt really doesn't show through. my seats look like new, with no shine. simply looks like new. however, Im all for even more suppleness. I also have a bunch of tanners preserve that I need to finish off too.
Old 12-27-10, 10:59 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
wait- so you use oil BEFORE cleaning? I would like to try this. I currently use the zaino system. spray cleaner and leather in a bottle. my seats are black, so dirt really doesn't show through. my seats look like new, with no shine. simply looks like new. however, Im all for even more suppleness. I also have a bunch of tanners preserve that I need to finish off too.
correct. you use the conditioner before the cleaner. seems backwards, but it works.
Old 12-27-10, 05:37 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

For the best results we recommend using the Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil first followed by the Leatherique Prestine Clean. We have a specific section of our detailing guide that has directions just for Leatherique in our leather care section. We are currently offering 20% off on the Rejuvenator Oil through 12/31 and we still have our regular discount of 10% off with the coupon code 10offCL (not applicable to packages, tools and sale items). If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Greg

Quick Reply: Review: Leatherique System on a 2003 350Z