Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

automatic car wash?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-09, 10:54 AM
HiKneeKen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default automatic car wash?

i was thinking about opening a automatic/diy carwash. is there anything i should know or do? i dont know anything about this and figure this would be a good place to start. thanks
Old 05-07-09, 03:38 PM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

well.... i think you should go to a auto diy carwash place, and check the place out, look at the type of equipment they are running and go from there.
The guys here are not very fond of auto car washes, but more into the major detailing stuff. Good luck on your business if you decided to go through with it though.
Old 05-07-09, 03:39 PM
TinCan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NEVER!!!!!
Old 05-07-09, 08:57 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I generally wash my own car but will need to go to a car wash when I feel lazy or when its very cold outside. If you decide to go forth in opening one, make sure the length of time that your car is driving through wash is more than just a minute. A new car wash opened up recently in my area and is very modernized. The owner has four waiting lanes available with a computerized touchscreen menu system that is also audible where you can select your wash and other options such as Rain-X. There is also a touchless wash bay available too. There are many bays available after your car is washed equipped with vacuums that are available free of charge. Unlike his other car wash business, the owner decided to not include the self-serv wash bays. I don't know of the machinery used at this new place but it is great. Even the dry-vac at the end of the wash is so good that almost all of the water is blown off my car. It takes only one small microfiber drying towel to remove any remaining water off my car.
Old 05-07-09, 09:21 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HiKneeKen
i was thinking about opening a automatic/diy carwash. is there anything i should know or do? i dont know anything about this and figure this would be a good place to start. thanks
If you find any helpful information, let me know as I am looking into the same believe it or not. By me there is only 1 diy car wash that is always busy and that I know of NO touchless car washes.
Old 05-09-09, 08:25 AM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
I generally wash my own car but will need to go to a car wash when I feel lazy or when its very cold outside. If you decide to go forth in opening one, make sure the length of time that your car is driving through wash is more than just a minute. A new car wash opened up recently in my area and is very modernized. The owner has four waiting lanes available with a computerized touchscreen menu system that is also audible where you can select your wash and other options such as Rain-X. There is also a touchless wash bay available too. There are many bays available after your car is washed equipped with vacuums that are available free of charge. Unlike his other car wash business, the owner decided to not include the self-serv wash bays. I don't know of the machinery used at this new place but it is great. Even the dry-vac at the end of the wash is so good that almost all of the water is blown off my car. It takes only one small microfiber drying towel to remove any remaining water off my car.
oh very interesting.... a guy near my house opened one up just as you described the one near your place.... i wonder if this is the same company.
Old 05-23-09, 03:53 PM
greg0723
Lead Lap

how much does it cost to start one of those?
Old 05-24-09, 06:08 AM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

A few years ago I seriously considered buying an existing car wash (with gas and LOF service). Of course more elaborate then a DIY, but you have to start somewhere, so... http://www.carwash.org/Pages/default.aspx

BTW, a full service wash is lucrative. Start up cost will vary but I can't imagine starting a DIY without a minimum $100,000 investment. Usually better to buy an existing business.
Old 05-24-09, 06:11 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

If you're looking for profit margins do not open a touchless; you'll have backed up cars; and are very limited on the amount of cars you can do an hour. As opposed to a lambswool drive though.