Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How to remove water spots on B-pillar??

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-13, 10:21 PM
xMJx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove water spots on B-pillar??

I just bought an '08 GS and it has water spots on the B-pillar, between the front and rear windows. Its starfire pearl and having water spots on the only black part of the car is driving me nuts. Anyone know how to get rid of them completely? I think the previous owner parked the car next to a sprinkler head.

Last edited by xMJx; 10-14-13 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-15-13, 12:40 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was in target, in the food section no less, when i saw someone had left a bottle of this on the counter.
i love meguir (as well as mothers) products, never seen it before.
give it a try and let us know
Old 10-15-13, 05:56 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Machine polishing (or maybe even hand polishing if they are not too severe) will remove them... if the owner did in fact park next to a sprinkler, I can assure you there will be water spots on more than just your B-Pillar. The fact that they are the only black areas simply makes them stand out.

I know this is the inner B-Pillar and you are referring to the outside, but the process is still the same. These water spots had lightly etched into the paint because the owner had never dried this area after washing. I was able to remove them quite easily by hand polishing with Meguiar's M105.

You can find Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish at most auto parts stores/sections... these are consumer based (rather than professional) products but work very well and are cheap! These should take care of your water spots, or at least help reduce them. If they are too severe, you will either need to learn to machine polish or take your vehicle to a trusted professional.
Old 10-15-13, 08:42 AM
xMJx
Driver School Candidate

Are the B-pillar on these cars painted? or is it just glossy plastic? I was thinking of doing some sort of hand polishing with a polishing compound but thought I'd ask first just in case its plastic. I've used vinegar+water on my cars before but saw minimal results with that.

I might give the Meguiars water spot remover a try.
Old 10-15-13, 08:55 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

B-Pillars are typically painted on nicer cars... but even if it is plastic, it can still be polished (think about headlights/taillights)

Here is an example from an Audi S4 (polished with M105/205 if I remember correctly)... not perfect, but a heck of a lot better:
Old 10-15-13, 01:21 PM
Bryan@Autogeek
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on how bad they are I would recommend trying Wolfgang Uber Compound and that should remove them.
Old 10-26-13, 11:14 AM
katherin1
Driver School Candidate

You can use Meguiars water spot remover.
Old 10-26-13, 09:54 PM
xMJx
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but I used the 3M Rubbing Compound. I was restoring the headlights on the car when I noticed on the bottle it said it could be used to remove water spots. I gave it a go and it worked. First two pics show the before (left side, rear door) and after (right side, front door). The last pic is after wax. Not too shabby the 3M stuff.
Attached Thumbnails How to remove water spots on B-pillar??-image-2273177300.jpg   How to remove water spots on B-pillar??-image-1070524141.jpg   How to remove water spots on B-pillar??-image-941158746.jpg  
Old 10-28-13, 08:04 PM
Piraiba
Rookie

Be careful about polishing those gloss black pillars. The paint Lexus uses on those areas are stupid soft and thin. Very easy to cause irreversible damage if you don't know what you're doing.
Old 10-28-13, 08:11 PM
thekhmer
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

diluted vingar mix then rewash n wax/seal after. and i second that one the black pillars they scratch way to easy when i get my roof wrapped im going to have those wrapped also. at least they wernt like mitsubishi they just put some cheap *** vinyl there end up peeling off and getting all warped from heat
Old 11-02-13, 12:11 PM
xMJx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Piraiba
Be careful about polishing those gloss black pillars. The paint Lexus uses on those areas are stupid soft and thin. Very easy to cause irreversible damage if you don't know what you're doing.
Yeah, it is really soft. I noticed some darkish residue on the polishing towel I was using. It couldn't have been dirt as I had just washed the car. I was real careful after that.