Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How to get rid of water marks/spots on my obsidian black IS??

Old 04-28-11, 08:38 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nothing I havent come accross in my many years of washing my car. just rewash with soap and water and it goes away. i dont know what the big deal is
Old 04-30-11, 12:28 PM
kamikaze04
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how would i get this off? i tired wax, polish, clay bar, qd, dish washing deg. nothing still the same result.
Old 04-30-11, 12:54 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by kamikaze04

how would i get this off? i tired wax, polish, clay bar, qd, dish washing deg. nothing still the same result.
Two things pass as waterspots. One is dried mineral deposits and dust drying on the paint. These are usually relatively easy to remove, even when left for a while. Soaking with 50/50 white vinegar and water will usually dissolve the mineral deposits. An AIO would dissolve and remove them as well. So would clay and a mild polish.

The second type is really not a water spot but paint etching. It looks much like a waterspot but is more severe paint damage. This requires a strong polish to level the paint. This paint etching is common around coal fired power plants and large metro areas. The water that gets on the paint is highly acidic (acid rain) and as the water evaporates the acid concentration gets stronger and stronger, hence the paint damage. I'd suggest that the only way to effectively remove this damage is with machine polishing.

Sounds like you may have this latter condition.

BTW, I hope you and yours survived the tragic weather.

Last edited by jfelbab; 04-30-11 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-30-11, 02:38 PM
kamikaze04
Driver

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Two things pass as waterspots. One is dried mineral deposits and dust drying on the paint. These are usually relatively easy to remove, even when left for a while. Soaking with 50/50 white vinegar and water will usually dissolve the mineral deposits. An AIO would dissolve and remove them as well. So would clay and a mild polish.

The second type is really not a water spot but paint etching. It looks much like a waterspot but is more severe paint damage. This requires a strong polish to level the paint. This paint etching is common around coal fired power plants and large metro areas. The water that gets on the paint is highly acidic (acid rain) and as the water evaporates the acid concentration gets stronger and stronger, hence the paint damage. I'd suggest that the only way to effectively remove this damage is with machine polishing.

Sounds like you may have this latter condition.

BTW, I hope you and yours survived the tragic weather.
thanks for the input. i will try that when i get a chance.

the tornado didn't even hit the part of ga that i am from. it passed over us. but i hope everyone else is okay
Old 05-03-11, 03:29 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ABROPOK
How to get rid of water marks/spots on my obsidian black IS?? As i was washing my car i left it in the garage, but the back of my car was still sticking out and the sun caused it to dry real quick and ONLY the back has water spots. My front, sides roof are all great bcuz it was in the shade. What can i do? I do not want to order things online, if i can buy it at like autozone/pepboys can anyone recommend and tell me what i can do?/ thx
Here is what I use on my Obsidian black.

Microfiber Towel

+

Klasse AIO

No more water spots.

After that I applied our very own BFWD and water does not create any spots even if I wipe it after few days.

Old 05-05-11, 01:03 AM
b3njam1n
Driver

Did you try wiping it with the absorber that you can buy at kragen? it works pretty good on my car