Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How much to pay for professional detailing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-08, 09:56 AM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much to pay for professional detailing?

So when i bought my new car I promised my car that I would get it professional detailed once a year. But how much is too much to pay. I called a place and they want around $350. They claim they could remove most swirl marks. What do you guys think. Too much?
Old 07-31-08, 10:13 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$350 is a bit on the higher side...If they do immaculate job then I wouldn't mind paying that much to remove all, if not most, of the swirls....Swirl removal jobs take the whole day (est 6-7 hours of polishing) so 350 sounds about right especially when you're working on a black car....I would ask for pics..Check out their work on site and if you do get your car done over there...Recheck their work in direct sunlight to see if the swirls are actually removed and also check if they left any marring (buffer trails) on the paint...

The whole car should look swirl free when finished in direct sunlight..Free of any buffer trails or swirls...etc...

Heres a pic of the buffer trails or marring and swirls I was talking about in sunlight...

Double check work in sunlight to verify they do good work!
Good luck...
Old 07-31-08, 12:07 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are talking about someone who is going to polish the car and knows what they are doing, that doesn't sound like a bad price especially if they are going to detail the interior as well. If they don't know what they are doing, any price is too much.
Old 07-31-08, 01:32 PM
TSC17
Driver School Candidate

I would be more concerned if they say they can do a full correction for only 100~150, and only take a few hours. Especially when dealing with black, it needs to be done properly with multiple steps to get it both swirl and hologram free. Good detailers get $30~65/hour, but their work is definitely worth it.
Old 08-01-08, 07:54 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TSC17
I would be more concerned if they say they can do a full correction for only 100~150, and only take a few hours. Especially when dealing with black, it needs to be done properly with multiple steps to get it both swirl and hologram free. Good detailers get $30~65/hour, but their work is definitely worth it.
Hi, what do you guys mean by swirl marks? Where do they come from? Can hand washing cause them? Sorry for the lamo questions...
Old 08-01-08, 08:05 PM
Stokdgs
Driver

Default Anytime you touch the car there is the chance to

introduce swirl marks, if you wash, wipe, etc, it in circular motions. Thats why especially on dark colors actually all colors, everything should be done in a straight forward and back, on horizontal and up and down on vertical surfaces. Any marks you leave hopefully wont be as noticeable... A car can look really shiny and all but looked at under high power halogens or in direct sunlight, you can see what it REALLY looks like. It can be alarming.
A good detailer will be able to get all marks out and leave a crystal clear finish with no marks at all. The next time you wash it, you start leaving a few marks, depending on your process. Anytime someone leans on it, rubs across it with their hands, etc, drops the computer bag onthe back of the trunk, etc., they are leaving a mark on it pretty much all the time. You have to decide how much you are going to worry/stress/etc., over this or not. If you just try to maintain it a couple of times a year or more, it will be fine, again depends on how much you want it to be perfect.. I see really nice cars going down the road with swirls all down the sides and wonder, how do they not see it?? I talked to a guy with a black Lexus RX300 I think and it was all swirled from the Dealer detailer and he thought they were supposed to look like that. Funny.. Good luck with your project ! DanF
Old 08-01-08, 08:13 PM
Stokdgs
Driver

Default To further answer your question, swirl marks are also

Introduced by people using rotary buffers and not finishing the job, using the wrong products, or just basically screwing up the paint for you. What you want to see after using a machine is clear, clean paint with no marks, swirls, etc. This is very much dependant on the operator, the pad, and the product being used. This is why alot of people went to the Porter Cable 7424, etc, machine which are not rotary but random orbital and are less likely to leave marks in the paint, but they too can if not, again, used correctly with the right pads and product.
I personally think its a huge waste of time to have to go through levels of product to eventually get a smooth swirl free finish. When I used to work in a Paint Shop we used only 2 products, the first to put the gloss back on a freshly wet sanded finish, and the 2nd, to remove any scratches still in the paint from the first product, and bring out the smooth, swirl,mark,etc., free gloss. Good luck. DanF
Old 08-01-08, 09:57 PM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

regular in & out would be $12.wax would be 45. shampoo would be 60. polish which includes wax would be 120. thats the going rate in miami.
Old 08-02-08, 09:21 AM
SpecC
Rookie

350 sounds pretty reasonable. it's nearly impossible to remove ALL swirls, but removing 95% of them is already pretty damn good. If I were you, I'd rather pay more to have my problems solved rather than skip pay and have a detailer create more problems.

If 350 is for a full interior, exterior and engine bay, that is already a pretty good deal. The amount of work put into detailing is pretty insane when you actually try or watch it.
Old 08-02-08, 09:25 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

2nd. 350 might be a touch on the high side, but for the most part is reasonable if they can eliminate 90+% of the swirls w/o masking them w/ crazy amounts of fillers.
Old 08-02-08, 09:37 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Peter_Klim
Hi, what do you guys mean by swirl marks? Where do they come from? Can hand washing cause them? Sorry for the lamo questions...
Heres a couple pics to illustrate some swirl marks. In the second pic, you can see how they're eliminated after some polishing. The 3rd pic shows them completely gone.

You can definitely introduce swirls to your paint by simply washing improperly. For washing, I always recommend a sheepskin wash mitt, a grit guard, and quality wash soap. example car wash kit:
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/carwashkit.html
Old 08-02-08, 09:38 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

forgot the 3rd pic

Old 08-02-08, 10:06 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Check out these hardcore swirls on a LS430..Pretty much went to automatic car wash since day 1....Stay away from automatic car washes!!

Old 08-02-08, 06:57 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

it's $100 for detailing here and they do a great job.

from what i can remember it includes a hand wash and dry, cut compound to remove swirls, polish and wax for paint. they also lift up your car to clean out the underside and the wheel housing. not sure exactly what they do for rims. i know when i picked up the car it looked great and my dad saw it when i came home and said it looked like i bought a new car.

the service is great too. you set up an appointment, they call you back a day before your appointment to remind you then you drop it off the next day at 8am, pick it up at 5pm.
Old 08-02-08, 07:27 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

If they do all of that for 100, they're out of their minds imo, lol.

Quick Reply: How much to pay for professional detailing?