Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

P21s 100% Carnauba Review >>>

Old 07-09-08, 01:40 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P21s 100% Carnauba Review >>>

Since I've already had a few members inquire about the P21s 100% carnauba wax, I wanted to make this post to maybe help answer some of those questions

I want to first take a second to thank Todd Helme of Bella Macchina for granting me permission to repost his opinion (and his work) with regard to this product. For those who may not be familiar with Todd, he is probably the top guy in the detailing industry right now. If anyone here is looking to have work done in the south florida area, I would absolutely recommend him over anyone. You'll see why in these pictures. I can certainly give anyone his contact info if they want it. Anyway on to the post:

For reference, here is the product being referred to in this post:
P21s 100% Carnauba Wax

and some of the other products he used underneath it:
EZ Creme Glaze
Red Moose Machine GLaze
Optimum PoliSeal

IMO, P21s 100% is the best boutique wax I have ever used. In the last 8 weeks, on clients cars that request wax, I have found myself grabbing for P21% more and more. I have used it "over" every pre-cleaner or glaze I have in order to tweak the look for my tastes.

Product: P21s 100%
Cost: 50-60 USD
Compared to: Pinnacle Souveran, PS21 (original), Zymol Ital, Zymol Vintage, Zymol Royal, SwissVax Onyx
Used over: CG EzCreme, ClearKote Red MooseMachine Glaze, Meguiar's #7, P21s Body Cleansing Lotion, Optimum Poli-Seal, Zaino Z5pro, Zymol HD-Cleanse

Pro's: Amazingly sharp, wet, and deep shine. Compared to other waxes that produce similar results, very cost effective. The easiest wax I have ever removed. Gives those that brag about carnauba content the ultimate advantage (100 percent of the wax is nuba)

Con's: Application feels a little sterile compared to the buttery smoothness of Souveran and the hand applied love of Ital, Royal, and Vintage. Gives those who care more about price then performance nothing to brag about.

Conclusion: IMO Only, the best looking wax on the market.

Brian and I first used 100% on a 328 Ferrari. Then we applied to a black Maserati. Both times we kept commenting on how much better the car looked to us after the wax application. We could actually see a difference in the paint after application.

Later that week we detailed a GT2. We did half of the car with owner supplied Ital and the other half with P21s 100% (this would be the first of many comparisons). All three of us (owner, Brian, and myself) agreed that the PS21 side was both sharper and deeper.

Since then that I day, I found myself grabbing PS21 over any other wax I had. I became addicted to its use.

We where at a client's house (whose brother had Zymol Royale!). There was a party that night and Brian and I where working in the four car garage getting various Ferrari's concours level details for the Cavallinio show.

As worked on that night, we finished a 348 Ferrari. On one third we used Royale (on the front only) on the second third we applied Souveran, and on the last third we applied P21s. (I cannot begin to tell you how disappointed I was with Royale but that is another story). So of the people in the party came out and we asked there opinion on the hood.

4 people choose P21s as the best looking side, 2 people choose Souveran. (Nobody picked Royale).

The look of P21s 100% is kind of different then some of the other waxes. Where as Souveran appears very warm and deep, P21s trades some of the warmth for incredable sharpness and clarity. However it is easily just as "deep" looking, and maybe even wetter.

Compared to Onyx (the only Swissvax product I have any experience with) it wasn't even close. Onyx is more comparable to a 6 dollar OTC wax (IMO) and P21s blows it away. Better on all fronts.

Compared to Vintage, I would say that this is the closest one. Vintage is has a little more shimmer but a little less depth. Both are very wet so it comes down to preferance. I prefer the super deep clarity of P21s, so I would choose it. Again very close, but the fact that Vintage costs about 37 times also says a lot. (Prior to P21s 100 percent, Vintage was my personal favorite looking wax).

Compared to Ital, P21s is so much better its not even funny. Ital sucks to put on, remove, and does nothing for the paint. 100% is easy to apply, wipes away easier than any other product out there, and looks great. Easy win.

Compared to Royale, 100% again wins on all fronts. I found Royale hard to apply, difficult to remove completely (it would wipe away then smear. Then need to be re wiped, etc, etc...) I also found the look Royale to be okay. I really was expecting something great, and in the end it looked bright and shiney, but not warm or deep.

I have several favorite "bases" for P21s.

Red Moose Machine Glaze- Because RMG seems to sharpens the paint (and amplify the wetness) it really works good with P21s. Both products seem to have the same strengths, and when combined, the affect is cumlitave. RMG is probably my favorite base. Amazing on super dark colors such as Black or Navy.

Optimum Poli-Seal- Another great choice for P21s. Will add some protection to the paint and increase the wetness. Great for meduim colors such as blue or red.

Werkstatt Twins- For a great protective base and the ultimate in clarity and sharpness. Great on whites and silvers.

Durablity of this product is limited. I have seen about 6-8 weeks out of it tops. It does hold its look longer then some of the boutiques, but it is not revolutionary.

Okay, so lets see some pictures..

Over RMG on a black Maserati.

Old 07-09-08, 01:40 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Old 07-09-08, 02:28 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Thank you very much for this review!! Very helpful. I always drooled over the clarity of the expensive Zymol products. But if this product can deliver that at a fraction of the cost, I will definitely be trying it very shortly.
Old 07-09-08, 02:52 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've known about P21S for some time now. I've always used polymers due to the durability, but these pictures might convert me to caranuba.

What was the process to apply and remove the wax by Todd? Machine? Hand?
Old 07-09-08, 07:31 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GFerg
Thank you very much for this review!! Very helpful. I always drooled over the clarity of the expensive Zymol products. But if this product can deliver that at a fraction of the cost, I will definitely be trying it very shortly.
Glad it helped out

Originally Posted by shern
I've known about P21S for some time now. I've always used polymers due to the durability, but these pictures might convert me to caranuba.

What was the process to apply and remove the wax by Todd? Machine? Hand?
99% sure it was by hand. I'll double check with him though just to be sure
If durability is a concern for you, you can lay down a sealant first, then top with p21s 100%
Old 07-09-08, 08:31 PM
SpecC
Rookie

How's the durability on this product? It looks great!
Old 07-10-08, 09:34 AM
vassey50
Pole Position

...I've been using the P21S for awhile with amazing results as well. Underneath I use the Klasse All In One and Klasse Sealant Glaze. What amazes me most about this group of products is how easy and fast it can be to do a premium wax job. Some people will spend hours with absolutely garbage wax, but these I would classify as easy to apply and buff.

One question for you though, I also use the P21S close cousin, the S100 that the Harley Davidson shops sell. I was put onto it from another member on here or Autopia, and the products are very similar. Yet the S100 comes in at less than half the price of the P21S. Do you have an idea of the differences in Carnauba content of the two? Just curious. B/c of the cost of the P21S, unless I am NOT in a rush to do a nice wax job, I find myself finishing the car with the S100 and saving the P21S as a treat to put on when I have more time.

Cheers,
V
Old 07-10-08, 09:45 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vassey50
...I've been using the P21S for awhile with amazing results as well. Underneath I use the Klasse All In One and Klasse Sealant Glaze. What amazes me most about this group of products is how easy and fast it can be to do a premium wax job. Some people will spend hours with absolutely garbage wax, but these I would classify as easy to apply and buff.
Ah, you answered my next question. I'm an avid Klasse AIO and Sealant user on top of an IP polish. However, I just bought the Menzerna Acrylic Jacket to replace the AIO. I'll have to run the P21S with the AJ next. Good stuff.
Old 07-10-08, 09:45 PM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

I've used both S100 and P21S and they both are very identical products, it's practically the same for a fraction of the cost. P21S is very good caranuba wax for it's price, since caranuba's are typically somewhat expensive.

I would say a good layer with some sealant underneath, the wax can last you probably 4-6 weeks in the summertime, depending on if its outdoor or indoor of course. Caranuba's are great in the summer time due to shine, but I'd use something of a synthetic wax or sometihng with polymers in the wintertime for protection. I've recently switched over to some Pinnacle products, but I still carry the P21S.
Old 07-10-08, 09:59 PM
LexFather

Great review plus car ****=outstanding thread!!
Old 07-11-08, 05:46 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Spec, durability is 6-8 weeks. Typical for most carnaubas imo.

vassey, I'm not very familiar w/ the makeup of s100, but it is my understanding that it is identical to the standard p21s, however, differs from the 100%

Thanks 1sickgoat
Old 07-14-08, 02:55 PM
AoshichanX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
Spec, durability is 6-8 weeks. Typical for most carnaubas imo.

vassey, I'm not very familiar w/ the makeup of s100, but it is my understanding that it is identical to the standard p21s, however, differs from the 100%

Thanks 1sickgoat
Great pictures! Absolutely jaw dropping and drool worthy

Another interesting note is that the P21S in the US can be considered "fake". What happened is that there is a P21S in Germany! However, this "real" P21S in Germany cannot sell anything in the US because the P21S in the US has trademarked the name! This US P21S has formulated its own version of the German counterparts and works just as well.

P21S (car) = S100 (motorcycle) = R222 (in Germany, cause obviously they can't use P21S in Germany hahahaha)

I have tried the all the P21S and S100 (conveniently located at Harley Davidson) products to verify that they were the same EXCEPT for this new wax and the metal soap polish. The old P21S blue top carnauba wax lastest maybe 2 days at most...kinda like souveran.

After these amazing pictures, now I will have to try it for sure!!