Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How to clean up that old leather

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-08, 08:15 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to clean up that old leather

This interior has 154k on it, and it was smoked in..

Disclaimer-
Use saddle soap at your own discretion. You can alway's use Lexol leather cleaner $6.99
http://www.autogeek.net/8ozlelecl.html

Thanks,
Ryan

This is what I used.
Glycerine Saddle Soap
Lexol leather conditioner $10-20
small brush
elbow grease ***hardest part to find

This process can literally turn back time, and remove those big unsightly lines. Basically creases with dirt in them. The dirt eventually tears through the leather creating a crack.

All you have to do is apply the saddlesoap, and scrub. It brings the dirt to the surface, then you wipe clean with a towell. Apply Lexol conditioner when your done.

Only the top square has been done here. Yes, those big creases on the left went all the way across the seat.

You don't want to put your arm on that gunk, do you?

Two middle panels, and a small part of the side panel has been cleaned here.

Here you can really see the difference it makes. I did the bottom right side of the driver seat. Also part of the driver side upper and lower left bolsters.
Part of the armrest.

Last edited by RyanV; 03-22-08 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-22-08, 09:20 AM
IonFeright
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW!! what a difference. Im assuming this stuff works on black leather also...correct??
Old 03-22-08, 09:26 AM
UTSC300
Lead Lap

holy crap, thats a huge difference, I spent a good portion of yesterday trying to clean my seat that I got from ALIGA with meguiars stuff. your stuff worked much better. guess I'm gonna have to find me a leather shop.
Old 03-22-08, 09:36 AM
powerjunky
Pole Position

looks great, i just cleaned mine.......didnt have anything fancy used amonina and water, works great also.

going to get the conditioner now
Old 03-22-08, 10:06 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IonFeright
WOW!! what a difference. Im assuming this stuff works on black leather also...correct??
Wow, you got a nice car there! 97' 5spd blk/blk

It'll definitely will work on any leather! Saddle soap is what does the work here, along with soft bristled brush. You don't really have to scrub that hard either.

You can scrub it, then wipe the dirt away. Then repeat in the same spot, and it will look even better.

I didn't use the Lexol conditioner in these pics, btw. Won't do that until it's completely cleaned up.

Ryan
Old 03-22-08, 10:33 AM
rawdil49
Pole Position

awesome. i didnt realize that just cleaning the leather could make that much of a difference. im going to buy some of that stuff this weekend. i wish it could fix the tear in my driver's seat.

Last edited by rawdil49; 03-22-08 at 01:13 PM. Reason: i cant spell
Old 03-22-08, 10:54 AM
IonFeright
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RyanV
Wow, you got a nice car there! 97' 5spd blk/blk

It'll definitely will work on any leather! Saddle soap is what does the work here, along with soft bristled brush. You don't really have to scrub that hard either.

You can scrub it, then wipe the dirt away. Then repeat in the same spot, and it will look even better.

I didn't use the Lexol conditioner in these pics, btw. Won't do that until it's completely cleaned up.

Ryan

thx. I hear its a rare car

Im gonna try this stuff out. My front passenger seat looks as though its never been sat in, and the drivers seat is pretty close but Id like them to match.
Old 03-22-08, 11:12 AM
LEXpert
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that looks awesome!
someone told me never to use saddle soap on automotive leather (can't remember why)
but that looks too good to pass up.

how does it smell after?
Old 03-22-08, 11:14 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Smells great, and the Lexol smells like new leather. Too bad this car was smoked in. It's going to take some work to get it smelling new in there.

I included a blurb about using saddle soap or any off the shelf cleaners. Try a small spot somewhere first. Sometimes cleaners may stain certain leathers apparently.

I think it worked like a charm. The guy in the store recommended it to me especially for automotive leather use.

Use some good leather conditioner soon as your done. Good conditioner like Lexol will absorb into the lather rather than sit on top of it.

Last edited by RyanV; 03-22-08 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-25-08, 10:20 AM
mwbuck
Driver

where can you buy the saddle soap?
Old 03-25-08, 12:58 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by powerjunky
looks great, i just cleaned mine.......didnt have anything fancy used amonina and water, works great also.

going to get the conditioner now
That mixture is actually what the guy who repaired my leather said was what he used. He's been doing leather (interior) repairs/cleaning/conditioning/installation etc,.. for 20 years. I was amazed that something so simple was the best solution.

Now a conditioner is important,.. but it doesn't have to be done nearly as often as some people.

Also the 'all in one' products aren't recommended. Cleaning with one product then conditioning with JUST a conditioner is the best way to go about it.

But, yeah -- Those are fantastic before and after .. or side by side comparison of some rediculously uncared for seats. Apparently they never got a wipe down , ever!
Old 03-25-08, 01:02 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbuck
where can you buy the saddle soap?
Any equine (horse) shop/store you can find. If you can't find any,.. just order it online.

http://www.premierpetsupplies.com/st...-1-c-1425.html

Is a good spot, with different varieties.
Old 03-25-08, 05:58 PM
jgtile
Driver

Wow what a difference! I am going to try the Sonus cockpit cleaners from autopia and see how they work....but my car is newer and not like this! Phew, you must be happy!!!
Old 03-25-08, 09:07 PM
myculito
Lead Lap

Please post pics of the finished work! I'm interested in seeing how it turned out.
Old 03-26-08, 05:48 AM
mwbuck
Driver

Anyone know the proper ratio of ammonia to water?

Quick Reply: How to clean up that old leather