Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: Lexus paint-clearcoat is weak and worthless. Should we unite in a class action suit?
I agree the the weak paint-clearcoat issue, count me in the class action suit against Toyota-Lexus.
46.27%
I don't agree, the paint-clearcoat is absolutely perfect just the way it is!
16.42%
I don't agree, the paint-clearcoat is weak, yes, but it does conforms to the US Federal regulations.
37.31%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus paint-clear coat. Should we unite in a Class Action Suit? POLL INSIDE

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-07, 06:53 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have said this countless times before on the forum. Our cars should have come from the factory with a clearbra on the bumper. After 7000 miles on my Tungsten Pearl IS, I have 8-10 large chips on the bumper. Under each foglight I have 10-20 small chips. My 01 RX300, 00 GS400 never had this problem. This is crazy and has nothing to do with the EPA or any other regulation limiting the paint durability. My biggest regret is not getting a clearbra on the car.

However, there should be another choice for people who agree, but do not want to file a lawsuit. I believe going through the normal Lexus channels of filing a complaint might get us somewhere. Whereas a class action lawsuit will not.
Old 09-14-07, 07:17 AM
NexVision
Rookie

I had a 1990 LS400 (guess what it chipped) I had a 99 GS300 (guess what it chipped) I have a 04 SC430 and 04 GX470 (guess what the SC has chips and the GX doesn't) I think it is solely where u drive and the way you drive as well if your a tailgater and a speeder then guess what your gonna get chips if you follow all the traffic rules (and I mean all) not saying I do by any means then you wont get chips. Should Lexus spend some time working on there paint YES they should but as VIK said sue gimme a break. When are people gonna own up to there own responsibilities.
Old 09-14-07, 07:39 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i agree, complaints should be filed in the hope that it will get lexus' attention like the tsib on the brakes.
Old 09-14-07, 09:07 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

they should do something about the paint....!
Old 09-14-07, 09:30 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd like to see some empirical data regarding the differences in paint between luxury car makers...

paint thickness, hardness, etc...
Old 09-14-07, 11:00 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by warrionex
Apparently I am not that wrong. This win is going to be by way of knock out.
Originally Posted by mitsuguy
I'd like to see some empirical data regarding the differences in paint between luxury car makers...

paint thickness, hardness, etc...
C'mon, who needs that. Isn't the poll above all the evidence you need that fraud has been committed? The fact that there are people complaining on CL and not as much on Bimmerfest already shows you the difference. Get me my lawyer!
Old 09-14-07, 11:15 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Try using the poll as evidence in court. They're going to toss out the case faster than your lexus paint will chip.

You need hard evidence, not an opinionated poll.
Old 09-14-07, 11:33 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by sirkfc
C'mon, who needs that. Isn't the poll above all the evidence you need that fraud has been committed? The fact that there are people complaining on CL and not as much on Bimmerfest already shows you the difference. Get me my lawyer!
lol....
Old 09-14-07, 12:19 PM
rs/ss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by is250gurl
i agree, complaints should be filed in the hope that it will get lexus' attention like the tsib on the brakes.
I agree.
There is no harm in polling the owners to see if there is/are common threads in our experiances both possitive and negitive. Good auto manufacturer want to know be it stronger paint or brake pads that produce less dust.
Old 09-14-07, 12:20 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

This is so retarded.... why buy a car to DRIVE, and then complain about rock chips, that happen when you are DRIVING. EVERY car gets rock chips NO MATTER WHAT. Deal with it. Freaking crybaby. This is just like suing McDonalds because you got fat.
Old 09-14-07, 12:33 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Caoboy
This is so retarded.... why buy a car to DRIVE, and then complain about rock chips, that happen when you are DRIVING. EVERY car gets rock chips NO MATTER WHAT. Deal with it. Freaking crybaby. This is just like suing McDonalds because you got fat.
Well, it's kinda like the brake pad dust issue...

Lexus used good brake pads... too good... too high performance that they dusted...

so the option - get not so good pads that dusted less...

everyone finds something to whine about...
Old 09-14-07, 01:44 PM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Caoboy
Some people turn to offensive words when they are unable to convince others in a civilized manner. I sorry for you and the ones near you. In a democracy the majority always win. Till now, apparently I'm winning. May I ask you to see the poll's results. Very inspiring, isn't it.

Last edited by warrionex; 09-14-07 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-14-07, 02:28 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

My o4 has a couple small chips in the bumper but it's not as bad as prior vehicles I've owned. Maybe we should file a class action suit about the transmission or warping brake rotors, considerably more significant issues, IMO. LOL

You do know that the only winners in class action suits are the lawyers right?
You win this suit and you will wind up with a $1.00 off coupon on a bottle of touch up paint. The lawyers wind up with 90% of the settlement.
Old 09-14-07, 02:50 PM
1BlackM3
Driver School Candidate

The class action lawsuit wouldn't happen but for a luxury car maker has the weakest paint protection there is. I have talk to numerous people who owns the newer model Lexus's and have problems with rock chips.
Old 09-14-07, 03:20 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by warrionex
Some people turn to offensive words when they are unable to convince others in a civilized manner. I sorry for you and the ones near you. In a democracy the majority always win. Till now, apparently I'm winning. May I ask you to see the poll's results. Very inspiring, isn't it.
Uh, you do realize that your "win" here is on a self-fulfilling poll, right? Likely the people voting here are the ones who have a gripe, while others will just ignore it. I just stumbled across it...

Your available choices were somewhat biased too. Definitely a flawed survey from that standpoint. Neither the 2nd and 3rd choices convey the thought that there is no merit for a lawsuit and that no fraud or negligence was perpetuated.

But anyway, fun poll to see what else people can find to complain about.

Quick Reply: Lexus paint-clear coat. Should we unite in a Class Action Suit? POLL INSIDE