Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Side View Mirror Haze, how to remove?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-07, 11:01 AM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Side View Mirror Haze, how to remove?

My right rear view mirror has developed a haze of some sort. It's not exactly a haze though since it seems like its inside the mirror, I'm not sure if that makes sense. It doesn't seem like the haze is on the outside or top of the mirror. I tried stoner invisible glass, vinegar and several passes of soapy mitt during a car wash to no avail. I'll try and post pics if i can.

Any help to get rid of it is appreciated. Would a glass polisher work? Thanks.
Old 08-29-07, 02:42 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Most likely this is surface scratch damage, maybe from using abrasive cleaning rags/sponges, or rubbing it when it had sandy dirt on it.

If this is the case, you would need to work your way up in polishing levels, the worst case starting with rubbing compound, then polishing compound, then a swirl remover, and finally glazing compound.

Lots of work as you need to fully "erase" the previous level of scuffing before you can move up to the next.
Old 08-29-07, 04:22 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

I've only had it for about 12 days and washed it once. Is it posibble to get that problem right away? I've only used one of those wash mitts when I washed the car and used a microfiber towel when I clean it with Stoners. Also, if it was any of those, wouldn't the left side view mirror have the same problem?

Thanks for the help though, I'll try and see what polishing compounds there are for windows/mirrors.
Old 08-29-07, 04:33 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, yeah obviously you'd have to determine the cause first, before you start barreling down the wrong path

I wish I could look at it, I could tell you right away if it's a surface or undersurface problem. But that will be your first step.
Old 08-29-07, 04:37 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

I tried taking pics but it's not coming out well with the reflection and light. It's very difficult to see. I looked at it further though and it does look like micro scratches and I have no clue where it came from. I'll try and take pics againa and see if anything better comes up.

If it is the scratches you mentioned, is it going to be more efficient/cheaper to replace the mirror? Or trying to polish and fix it myself be a better solution?
Old 08-29-07, 08:36 PM
DanozLS430
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It could be the guy you bought it from did not disclose the scratches to you when you got it 12 days ago? Might have been covered up with a wax or glaze to make the scratches invisible. When you wash it and got off some of the cover up wax or glaze, the damage started to show. Could have been there when you bought it and not your car washing fault since this is only your first wash. Just my 2 cents detective work.

DanozLS430....
Old 08-29-07, 08:57 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ Any chance the dealership might buy that excuse? I just don't see the dealership doing something about it without blaming me. You know how dealerships are.
Old 08-30-07, 12:44 AM
DanozLS430
Intermediate

The dealer probably will blame you on everything once it leaves the lot on a used car. They are very good at hiding all the bad things about the car. Usually scratches and things shows up after your first wash as they use paint sealant fillers to hide all the scratches. Also the parts are usually not genuine Lexus replacement parts if they needed to do a quick repair on a used car before selling to save on cost.
Old 08-30-07, 09:28 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by rfx45
My right rear view mirror has developed a haze of some sort. It's not exactly a haze though since it seems like its inside the mirror, I'm not sure if that makes sense. It doesn't seem like the haze is on the outside or top of the mirror. I tried stoner invisible glass, vinegar and several passes of soapy mitt during a car wash to no avail. I'll try and post pics if i can.

Any help to get rid of it is appreciated. Would a glass polisher work? Thanks.
for your IS? I have the same problem....

I told the guy about the mirror when I take it back for the 5K oil change and they are ordering me a new replacement mirror.....

I think most of the IS are having the same problem for the drive side mirror....
Old 08-30-07, 10:07 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DanozLS430
The dealer probably will blame you on everything once it leaves the lot on a used car.
Is this a used car? Am I not reading something? I haven't read anything that said this was a used car.

rfx45, if this is a new car and it is 12 days old, take it back to the dealer and have them look at it. If kickin8 is having the same problem, as he said, it may be an issue that Lexus is well aware of.
Old 08-30-07, 10:50 AM
jewel
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue. Also had major swirls in the mirror that are only visible at night when I get headbeams in the mirror. I had the dealership change out both mirrors
Old 08-30-07, 04:19 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Yes it is a brand new car. It seems like some people are having these problems so hopefully the dealership could help me out.

Another question though, I purchased the car from a dealership that is pretty far so I would like to bring it to the one close to me. Can I bring this car in to any dealership and they would have to be obligated to raplce it? Or does it have to be brought to the dealership I bought the car from?
Old 08-30-07, 04:21 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Originally Posted by tod071
Is this a used car? Am I not reading something? I haven't read anything that said this was a used car.

rfx45, if this is a new car and it is 12 days old, take it back to the dealer and have them look at it. If kickin8 is having the same problem, as he said, it may be an issue that Lexus is well aware of.
If you think it's REALLY annoying, you should take it back now and talk to the guys at service, they will replace them for you for sure.....otherwise you can wait until the 5K oil change........

some members here said it's the same / little improvement after the replacement... I will post here again once it gets replaced.
Old 08-30-07, 07:05 PM
DanozLS430
Intermediate

If it's a NEW car definitely take it back soon or at least call them to let them know the problem. They should cover and replace it under warranty.
Old 09-10-07, 08:34 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Originally Posted by rfx45
Yes it is a brand new car. It seems like some people are having these problems so hopefully the dealership could help me out.

Another question though, I purchased the car from a dealership that is pretty far so I would like to bring it to the one close to me. Can I bring this car in to any dealership and they would have to be obligated to raplce it? Or does it have to be brought to the dealership I bought the car from?
Brought the car in sat for brake pad TSIB and the mirror.

They replaced the mirror and NO MORE swirl marks !

To answer your question: I bought the car in concord,ca and lexus of serramonte replaced my mirror.

You should just take it in the dealer (ASAP if you can't stand it) and they will replace the mirror for you, no questions asked......

hope this helps and keep us posted......

Quick Reply: Side View Mirror Haze, how to remove?