Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Razor marks from a clear bra install

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-16, 12:08 PM
dlpowered
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Razor marks from a clear bra install

Hi guys,

I recently purchased brand new NX and had one of the shop to install clear bra for my vehicle. I was happy with the installation at the time but I found some razor cuts on edges and corners while performing work on my own. The install involved using 1/2 precut & 1/2 custom kit so I was aware the film required some cutting, but I'm unsure whether all installers make razor cuts which ultimately leave marks on the vehicle.

Obviously this particular installer was careless and exerted more pressure than needed to cut the film, but I want to find out and see if seeking another installer will yield a cut-free result.

Some of the cuts:

Last edited by dlpowered; 07-25-16 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-25-16, 12:27 PM
SonicMotor
Lexus Champion

You shouldn't have any razor cuts.

I'm also a vinyl installer, and cuts in the paint are one of the items to be avoided when doing so. They make certain products called "knifeless-tape" so you can prevent the issue.
Old 07-25-16, 12:28 PM
dlpowered
Driver School Candidate

Bumper was pre-cut, but hood, and fender was custom because I opted for a full coverage.

How do you use the tape on an area where the panel meets another?
Old 07-25-16, 12:48 PM
SonicMotor
Lexus Champion

Just run the tape across the seam. The tape when properly done is very tight. When you rip up the edge of the thread to have it follow the cut, it will still have it's same cutting properties when travelling across the seam between panels. The tape is installed first, then the product over it so it can be properly cut.

To view what product I'm speaking of -
http://www.knifelesstechsystems.com/

Old 07-25-16, 01:22 PM
dlpowered
Driver School Candidate

I guess the installer chose to cut it with a razor as the seam is round. Anyway, what is your take on my next course of action? I am unsure whether I should get it repainted as original paint is always superior than a repaint
Old 07-25-16, 04:51 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dlpowered
I guess the installer chose to cut it with a razor as the seam is round. Anyway, what is your take on my next course of action? I am unsure whether I should get it repainted as original paint is always superior than a repaint
I very much agree with this statement... if the cuts are not "that bad", I would simply badger the installer and try to get some or all of your money back for the hassle. You may even go as far as to get an estimate on repairing the damage from a local body shop and have them pay you for the potential total, but I wouldn't consider it grounds for repaint unless they are very visible. Make sure you leave a review for the company so others are aware of the type of work to be expected. This should not be acceptable from a quality installer.
Old 07-25-16, 05:15 PM
dlpowered
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
I very much agree with this statement... if the cuts are not "that bad", I would simply badger the installer and try to get some or all of your money back for the hassle. You may even go as far as to get an estimate on repairing the damage from a local body shop and have them pay you for the potential total, but I wouldn't consider it grounds for repaint unless they are very visible. Make sure you leave a review for the company so others are aware of the type of work to be expected. This should not be acceptable from a quality installer.
I have made every attempt to ensure I was dealing with the right installer but it seems like online reviews cannot be trusted. This particular person was affiliated with numerous exotic dealers in California (Porsche, McLaren) and they all left a positive remarks on yelp and he was listed as one of the recommended dealer to contact on the xpel's website. I am unsure whether these dealers understand that the reason we spend outrageous amount of money upfront is to have our expensive vehicles protected. It kind of feels like I paid lump of cash to have people inflict my car.

As for the mark, I am glad most of cuts are hidden behind the black plastic mold. My biggest worry is that it might start to rust if deeper cuts are exposed to rain.
Old 07-26-16, 12:07 PM
SonicMotor
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dlpowered
Well knifeless tape is actually like thin masking tape, it can be used on contours, laid in curves etc.

As said, I would speak with the installer. Let them know what had happened. If the cuts aren't too deep, you might be able to have them polished out.
Old 07-29-16, 12:23 PM
LifesizTim
Driver School Candidate

I agree with SonicMotor. I am also a vinyl installer and we use knifeless on a daily basis. Maybe in days gone by you could get away with a minor scratch here and there, but with the advent of knifeless tape, those days are gone...
Old 12-20-19, 09:30 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Good installers use templates to cut the material using CAD. What was the installer doing with razor blade? I am up in Alberta.
Usually it costs ~700.00. All frontal, rear view mirrors, half hood, fenders, and frontal above wind shield coverage. Takes
about a half a day from start to finish. I always have it done when I take a delivery of new vehicle. Dealers over charge usually.

Body shop can take care of such damage without using paint. They use heat gun to make the cut disappear and finish with clear coat.