Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

The ULTIMATE Tinting Guide

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-11, 06:57 PM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope this has not already been coverd in here......i have a 2011 IS250....does the factory window already have a bit of a tinted glass to it?

I'm thinking of getting 50% all around, windshield as well. I had this on my S2000 with a hard top, because of the cabin being so small.

Everyone says 50% is throwing money away....but I feel with my black interior it will look just fine.
Old 05-07-11, 02:51 PM
philboyj
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a 20% tint on the front and back. Prefer the front and back windows to look the same. I also did not tint the rear windshield since we have the motorized curtain.

Car looks more sleek now - black tint on a black car. Love the look and increased protection/ less heat for the car interior. Plus no driving difference in terms of looking ahead or in the rear view mirror.
Old 05-09-11, 11:47 AM
Kymber317
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by Stylnhonda
Hope this has not already been coverd in here......i have a 2011 IS250....does the factory window already have a bit of a tinted glass to it?

I'm thinking of getting 50% all around, windshield as well. I had this on my S2000 with a hard top, because of the cabin being so small.

Everyone says 50% is throwing money away....but I feel with my black interior it will look just fine.
I would recommend going with 35% all around with 50% on the windshield. 50% won't offer enough protection from the heat since it's a bigger car. If you decide to stick with 50% all around, Huper Optik makes tint that offers the same heat rejection as 5%, except it's not as dark.
Old 05-11-11, 01:16 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

I got 5% on my rear windows and 15% on the 2 front ones about 2 months ago. I was going to get 5% all around but didn't want to get pulled for it. I still gotta keep an eye out when I'm not on the freeway so I can let the front windows down if there's a cop around.
Old 05-12-11, 06:42 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Anyone know of a good source for pictures of tinted cars?

I'd like to see 35% and 40% from a couple of angles. Thanks.
Old 06-30-11, 09:13 AM
FranchiseB
Rookie

I have 20% on the sides and 35% on the back. BUT, I had to peel off the front window tint to pass inspection
My question is, if the tint has been on the car for about 2 years, can re-tint the front windows only? OR does the sun fade a window tint over time? will the new 20% tint be darker than the old existing rear 20% from sun fade?
Im trying to aviod re tinting the whole car if possible.
Thanks!
Old 07-29-11, 05:13 AM
itr206
Rookie

Originally Posted by FranchiseB
I have 20% on the sides and 35% on the back. BUT, I had to peel off the front window tint to pass inspection
My question is, if the tint has been on the car for about 2 years, can re-tint the front windows only? OR does the sun fade a window tint over time? will the new 20% tint be darker than the old existing rear 20% from sun fade?
Im trying to aviod re tinting the whole car if possible.
Thanks!
I just did this yesterday actually and I dont know if its just the tint brands are different, but you can see plain as day inside the car that the fronts are darker inside than the rears.
Outside it is very hard to notice because of reflectivity, but its enough that I will get my rears redone soon.

If you go to the same shop with the same tint, chances are it will match better though.
Old 07-30-11, 08:30 PM
ohface
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is my 35% all around. 50% did not look the windows had anything on it. I have black interior so it is actually not this dark. Just thought I would share
Attached Thumbnails The ULTIMATE Tinting Guide-005.jpg   The ULTIMATE Tinting Guide-006.jpg  
Old 08-01-11, 09:17 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

That looks really dark for 35%. May just be the angles. I have the same black interior, so I'm hoping it won't be to dark with 35% on the sides and rear and 50% on the windshield.
Old 08-01-11, 09:57 PM
ohface
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stylnhonda
That looks really dark for 35%. May just be the angles. I have the same black interior, so I'm hoping it won't be to dark with 35% on the sides and rear and 50% on the windshield.
Now that i look at this pic more it is the angle for sure cause that looks hella dark. But all other angles you can see in without any trouble. I will take some more in a few days
Old 08-02-11, 06:01 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ohface
Now that i look at this pic more it is the angle for sure cause that looks hella dark. But all other angles you can see in without any trouble. I will take some more in a few days
Looks really good! What color interior do you have?
Old 08-02-11, 07:02 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Cool, more pics would be nice.

I know people think I'm nuts, but I like a even look. I had 55% on my s2k with the windshield, sides and hardtop done. Looked perfect IMO.

Since my car is a darker blue, and I have black interior. I think 50% on all windows including the windshield may look pretty good. Not as light as others may think.

I'm getting either 50% all around or 35% all around with 50% on the windshield. Yet it won't all be the same

Very hard to tell in pics....lighting is always different. Here is 55% on my s2k on all windows.

Lighter looking here:

Then it looks really light here...
Old 09-16-11, 02:50 PM
fluffybear
Driver School Candidate

ceramic tint is the best...huper optik is what i go with
Old 01-05-12, 09:19 AM
cda023
Driver School Candidate

hoping for some insight here.

I am in Austin, TX and looking to get my '08 is250(blk/blk) tinted. It has normal glass, not tinted glass. I've done my best in trying to shop around the local tint locations and here is what I've received.

shop a - Pinnacle F1 - 399 out the door
shop a - Llumar Ceramatrix - 299
shop b - SolarGard Ultra Performance - 319 + tax
Lexus of Austin - PermaPlate Ceramic (never heard of it / can't find any information) - 279 + tax

any help is greatly appreciated
Old 01-11-12, 08:14 PM
ms2619
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tinting our front 2 windows is sucha pita cuz of the tweeters location, I got 35% all around and looks amazing, not too light..not too dark and each shop has their own % because the first shops 35% looked like 50% and the one I have now is like a inbetween 20 and 35% lol im satisfied

Quick Reply: The ULTIMATE Tinting Guide