Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

MERGED THREADS - Cleaning/Caring for microfiber towels

Old 05-04-08, 06:56 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soak the towels in there for a good half hour or so, and then want to wash them by hand with soap and water
what kind of soap?
Old 05-04-08, 07:03 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

2 words...fabric softener...
Old 05-04-08, 07:52 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

Microfiber towels and tools have particular care requirements due to their unusual cleaning properties and composition. As you probably know, microfiber is excellent for dusting and scrubbing because of the static-charged, woven fibers. The combination of polyamide and polyester is incredibly strong and soft, and microfiber towels absorb 7 times their weight in moisture!

For such a technologically advanced fabric, proper care is surprisingly easy. No fabric softener, no bleach, no heat - that’s all you have to remember!

Wash your microfiber in the washing machine with detergent only. Tumble them dry on low heat or no heat. High heat will literally melt the fibers while fabric softener and bleach will eliminate the electric charge that makes microfiber so effective. Avoid those three laundry habits, and your microfiber will last indefinitely.

You might be wondering which detergent is best. Almost any detergent is suitable, but some are better than others. The primary concern is detergent residue; you want a detergent that is clean-rinsing. Powder laundry detergent very often leaves a soapy residue in fabric, and many liquid detergents contain strong perfumes and fabric softeners right inside the detergent. That’s great for clothes, but bad for microfiber.
i just found this so i thought this might be helpful if you don't know how to clean the towels like me.
Old 05-05-08, 09:46 AM
ExclusiveAutoDetail
Former Sponsor

I use regular Tide. No fabric softener no bleach on warm water/delicate

Then I air dry them
Old 05-05-08, 05:58 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ThoLe
i just found this so i thought this might be helpful if you don't know how to clean the towels like me.
Cool info. Thanks! That is essentially what I've been doing, washing in cold water, mild detergent, low heat dryer, and nothing else. The microfiber towels come out perfect everytime.
Old 05-06-08, 12:44 AM
Karyl
Driver School Candidate

Wash your microfiber in the washing machine with detergent only. Tumble them dry on low heat or no heat. High heat will literally melt the fibers while fabric softener and bleach will eliminate the electric charge that makes microfiber so effective. Avoid those three laundry habits, and your microfiber will last indefinitely.

You might be wondering which detergent is best. Almost any detergent is suitable, but some are better than others. The primary concern is detergent residue; you want a detergent that is clean-rinsing. Powder laundry detergent very often leaves a soapy residue in fabric, and many liquid detergents contain strong perfumes and fabric softeners right inside the detergent. That’s great for clothes, but bad for microfiber.

Old 06-04-08, 01:46 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i googled this subjects long time ago.. and wanted to share that most car detailers will wash them with no soap.or.. very small amt of mild liquid soap detergent..
Old 06-04-08, 06:08 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I wash mine in a front loader washing machine with a small amount of TideHE. I add a few ounces of white vinegar to the rinse cycle. I wash them in hot water with a warm rinse. They go in the dryer on gentle cycle.
Old 06-04-08, 06:44 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll take the detailer's advice. Hehe.
Old 06-05-08, 04:51 AM
TRDANB
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Karyl

KARYL!! Couldn't have said it better myself. Just washed over 200 microfibers the other day =P i actually tested out tides 2x ultra "FREE" it has no dyes or perfumes in it and i believe it works well although you do use less detergent with this one then others so do not over do it and dump more then stated or else your gunna need an extra rinse cycle =/ (thats what i get for leaving others in charge of things) all in all they came out clean tumble dried no heat n felt like new didn't notice any residue nor damaged fibers or roughness to them these towels are on there 10th wash n i would still use them on a brand new car with fresh paint =P
Old 06-05-08, 07:02 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a new one each time... I dump the old one
Old 06-05-08, 08:32 AM
TRDANB
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by darkdream
I use a new one each time... I dump the old one
Wow really what if it was simply used to wipe wax off or lightly dust. I'd agree if they were heavily soiled or particles get stuck in them then I toss those asap. Probably should've mentioned that =P
Old 06-08-08, 08:35 PM
Premier
Pit Crew

Old 07-06-08, 08:37 AM
MATEOGS
Driver

Default re-use microfiber cloths?

what do you guys think? I've never reused them but it says you can wash them and reuse?
Old 07-06-08, 08:46 AM
gatorcb
Driver

yes you can machine wash/dry your MF towels without any problems

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MERGED THREADS - Cleaning/Caring for microfiber towels