Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

MERGED THREADS - Cleaning/Caring for microfiber towels

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-09, 04:08 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent123
I have tide at home but its not HE, does it matter? I might try it out since I already have it.
Most low-sudsing liquid detergents will work well if you cut the amount used in half and rinse with white vinegar.

I wash in hot and rinse in cold water and pop the MF's in the dryer. I have MF towels that are still very nice after 4-5 years of heavy use.

It is important to segregate the towels. Those that remove wax/sealant should be washed and used separately. I mark them with a permanent marker. All the others used for polishing get washed alone and are as absorbant as when they were new. I must have nearly a hundred towels, LOL When they start to fray at the edges I use them for engine, tires and other grungy work.
Old 02-11-09, 10:05 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didnt get a chance to try my chemical guys mf detergent yet, but while I was waiting for the detergent to arrive I threw my towels in the wash and used oxi clean. The towels came out great, took out 98% of the stains.
Old 02-11-09, 10:06 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Now, does it matter that I used a powder detergent, since most of you guys are recommending liquid.
Old 02-12-09, 05:33 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent123
Now, does it matter that I used a powder detergent, since most of you guys are recommending liquid.
I believe it does. Powered detergents have fillers that sometimes don't fully dissolve. I'd run the MFs through a liquid wash and heavy hot rinse before using to be sure to release any captured bits of filler that might not have dissolved.
Old 02-12-09, 07:38 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I believe it does. Powered detergents have fillers that sometimes don't fully dissolve. I'd run the MFs through a liquid wash and heavy hot rinse before using to be sure to release any captured bits of filler that might not have dissolved.
correct. try to avoid powder detergents.
Old 02-15-09, 02:53 PM
MyfirstES
Driver

I too use microrestore and like it a lot. It usually takes out all stains. The only problem I'm starting to have is that the towels aren't as absorbent as they were a year ago.
Old 02-15-09, 05:41 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by MyfirstES
I too use microrestore and like it a lot. It usually takes out all stains. The only problem I'm starting to have is that the towels aren't as absorbent as they were a year ago.
Are you using a fabric softener either in the detergent, as an additive, or in dryer sheets? If so, that's the problem. You're coating the fibers of the microfiber towel with polymer. Wash them twice in hot, rinse with vinegar, and do not use fabric softener no mo!

Big Mack
Old 02-15-09, 06:12 PM
MyfirstES
Driver

No, not using fabric softner or dryer sheets. I know they are a no-no. But I will try the vinegar. According to the bottle, the microrestore is supposed to rinse out in the rinse cycle.

Thanks for the reply and vinegar tip!
Old 02-15-09, 06:22 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

MicroRestore works. You have to remember that pretty much everything dies at a certain point. Even high quality towels have a dead point in their life
Old 02-15-09, 06:22 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

I just washed my wash mitts in the same load with my MF towels... was that a huge mistake??
Old 02-15-09, 07:55 PM
MyfirstES
Driver

Originally Posted by JKA.nyc
I just washed my wash mitts in the same load with my MF towels... was that a huge mistake??
Not if the mitts were microfiber as well(?)
Old 02-15-09, 08:11 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

one was sheepskin the other was MF, my concern though is if grit shaken loose from the mitts while washing might get lodged on/in the MF towels though?
Old 02-15-09, 08:19 PM
MyfirstES
Driver

From everything I read on Microfiber on the net, one thing was a constant: never wash anything non-microfiber with microfiber. If I were you, I'd rewash your micro-cloths to be on the safe side. That's just my opinion.
Old 02-15-09, 08:20 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by eyezack87
MicroRestore works. You have to remember that pretty much everything dies at a certain point. Even high quality towels have a dead point in their life
Very true, Isaac. I think a year is a bit early, though, for a casual user. We used to have them for at least a few years before they were just beat down and done, and they were well used by that point.

Big Mack
Old 02-15-09, 11:33 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Very true, Isaac. I think a year is a bit early, though, for a casual user. We used to have them for at least a few years before they were just beat down and done, and they were well used by that point.

Big Mack
Mine are 1/2 dead from all the cars I've been using them on haha. I guess I'm not in the "casual" category though

I think OP should try boiling it with vinegar (I think that was the recommendation) or just write to the manufacturer. Of course, for all we know the water quality may also have an impact on the absorbing power or something

Quick Reply: MERGED THREADS - Cleaning/Caring for microfiber towels