Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

MERGED THREADS - Cleaning/Caring for microfiber towels

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-08, 08:52 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

of course you can reuse them if you wash....
Old 07-06-08, 09:35 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure you can! Avoid using any bleach or fabric softeners and try not to mix the microfiber w/ other fabrics in the machine.
I recommend using microrestore in your washing machine on hot. You can also dry on hot as well. Standard household machines cant get hot enough to damage the mf.
Hope this helps
Old 07-06-08, 09:42 AM
aristo2369
Lead Lap

Default .

Originally Posted by MATEOGS
what do you guys think? I've never reused them but it says you can wash them and reuse?
why wouldn't you wash it and re used it?
Old 07-06-08, 12:04 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can safely wash MFs in the washing machine. Use liquid detergent and some microfiber detergent additive. If you use the dryer, try to Air dry instead of using heat. This extends the longevity of the MF cloth.
Old 07-07-08, 04:53 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tod071
You can safely wash MFs in the washing machine. Use liquid detergent and some microfiber detergent additive. If you use the dryer, try to Air dry instead of using heat. This extends the longevity of the MF cloth.
I air dry them as well and they come out great. One question, where could I get this "microfiber detergent additive" ?

thanks.
Old 07-07-08, 07:34 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup I wash and dry them, once I washed them with regular clothes and when they came out they felt - different
Old 07-07-08, 07:47 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I wash mine with whatever is in the washer at the time, and dry on lowest setting without ever having a problem.
Old 07-07-08, 11:24 AM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Originally Posted by BounceNY
I air dry them as well and they come out great. One question, where could I get this "microfiber detergent additive" ?

thanks.
http://www.detailersdomain.com/index...ROD&ProdID=283
Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
Yup I wash and dry them, once I washed them with regular clothes and when they came out they felt - different
Thats because MF towels pick up anything thats in the washer/dryer at the time. So all that lint that you usually throw away after you are done washing something gets transferred to the towel and makes it feel funny. Thats why everyone recommends separating them and drying on low or air. If you use the fabric softener sheets in the dryer and dry it on hot whatever is left on the drum itself (even if its just towels) may have a chance of melting off and transferring to your towel and hinder its performance
Old 07-07-08, 04:58 PM
TrendyTodd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BounceNY

thanks.
I was waiting for my approval as a new CL vendor. I'm still tod071, but use this as a vendor. Here are the detergents. Simply follow the instructions, add 1-2oz of detergent to your normal laundry load.

Chemical Guys Micro Rejuvenator

Micro Restore Detergent
Old 07-07-08, 05:07 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Here ya go bounce! Feel free to apply the forum discount too
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/mide.html

fwiw, if anyone has any real bad microfiber towels, you can also boil them! Of course, the wife/girlfriend might get a little upset if you use her favorite cooking pot, but it really works, and brings them back to life!!
Old 07-13-08, 07:59 AM
rated///m
Driver School Candidate

it would get kinda $$$ to buy new ones every time...
Old 07-13-08, 09:53 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I buy new ones instead of wash them.... but i buy in bulk
Old 07-13-08, 11:16 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdream
wow... so what do you do with the 1 time use old ones when your done? throw them away? take them to a church and donate them? *hopefully*
Old 07-13-08, 05:40 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Originally Posted by darkdream
Yo, send me them when you are done using them. I'll gladly take them off your hands
Old 07-14-08, 02:30 PM
AoshichanX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tod071
Yes, cou can safely wash MFs, but I would definitely not wash it with the clothes. Most of the time, my MFs are filled with residue...you don't want that mixing with your clothes.

My suggestion
  1. Get cheap Costco yellow MFs for interior and wheels.
  2. Use the more expensive MFs you buy from the vendors on this forum for your paint ONLY.
  3. Get two buckets for a presoak. Pour 2 ounces of detergent per 5 gallons and toss your MFs in the bucket as your use them. This will prevent the MFs from staining.
  4. DO NOT use fabric softner or softner sheets. This will reduce the effectiveness of your MFs, especially the absorption qualities.
  5. If you must use your home washing machine, be sure to wipe off the layer of residue that remains afterward and best if you run another cycle and let it wash out before you put your clothes in

Originally Posted by CLHawaii
I was waiting for my approval as a new CL vendor. I'm still tod071, but use this as a vendor. Here are the detergents. Simply follow the instructions, add 1-2oz of detergent to your normal laundry load.

Chemical Guys Micro Rejuvenator

Micro Restore Detergent
Micro Restore and Chemical Guys both great detergents. I would lean towards CG cause it is a lot cheaper, especially so if you purchase by the gallon. However, my MFs a ever slightly more fluffy with Micro Restore. Again, the difference is minimal...like comparing $500 swissvax mystery to divine.

Then again, some detailers use Woolite that you can in bulk from Costco

Quick Reply: MERGED THREADS - Cleaning/Caring for microfiber towels