Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Dash marring / color rubbing off - Fix?

Old 02-07-07, 01:34 PM
OBXTucker
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash marring / color rubbing off - Fix?

Trying to find something to restore the finish of the area around my Nav. It was like this from the previous owner and it the only thing keeping it from being a PERFECT interior. Any recommendations are appreciated! This is a photo I borrowed here, but mine is almost identical (but slightly less rubbing - NO scratches) TIA

Last edited by OBXTucker; 02-07-07 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-07-07, 03:11 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On smooth plastic like that, you can use a polishing compound, even a rubbing compound if needed, and then a very fine polish if you need to bring up the gloss or match the patina.

You can't really hurt it unless it's acolor dyed/sprayed part, and then the "hurt" is merely that you run the possibility of removing the color.

*Most* of those parts are color impregnated plastics though, where the color runs throughout.

In the event it IS a painted part and you rub the color off, you'd simply have to locate a can of spray color and repaint it.

My guess is you'll be able to polish away. Best of luck.
Old 02-08-07, 05:43 AM
cino135
Driver

if polish doesnt work, repainting can be quite simple. if a more glossy appearance s desired, also purchase clear in a can. have done this for my trim pieces i scarred with a small flathead when removing for stereo install. was very pleased with the result (although before comlete drying, i wasnt so pleased)
Old 02-08-07, 12:41 PM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

I've used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to remove marring on the dash area. Tried everything else and it was the only thing that worked.

Test a very small area first and rub LIGHTLY (don't forget to moisten it first)

Let us know how it goes!
Old 02-08-07, 06:13 PM
OBXTucker
Driver

Thanks for the ideas/recommendations. I'll work on it this weekend and report back.
Old 02-10-07, 05:47 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt that the color coat for the dash plastic is uniform. Theres the metallic finish on it thats painted.
You could buy a new from from the dealor, or I was wondering if the dealor sold spraycans of the dash paint.