Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How to fix small chips on edge of hood and trunk lid

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-06, 08:25 AM
rra640
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to fix small chips on edge of hood and trunk lid

I did a lot of searching and also talked the folks at Lanka and still don't know what to do about these two problem areas... My car came from the mid-west. It was never really in weather or snow, but does have some very small rust areas. I live in Arizona now, so rust is really not a big issue.

'98 GS400 46k miles. Gold.

1) On the edge of the trunk lid I have 2 very small chips in the paint. They are on the edge of the lid under the license plate, not on the flat surface. They have a small amount of rust color in the chips although the car sees no weather of any type. I think touch up paint will do the trick, but how do I remove the rust so that it doesn't give any future problems? This one is in an area that is not really noticable, so as long as it doesn't rust... I won't mind.

2) On the edge of the hood, visable from sitting in the drivers seat, there is a 2" long area where the paint has chipped. It looks like it has been repaired with touchup paint, but I think there is a small amount of rust under it since it is bubbled a bit. It needs to be smoothed out a little to put touch-up paint on. Although not very visable now, i'm afraid that the rust will just ruin the paint if I don't remove it. Again, rust is not a huge issue in Arizona, but I do want to remove it. I am more concered about how this one looks as it is visable from driving the car.

Lanka mentioned a sanding pen that they sell, but I'm afraid that I won't be able to build up the paint to match the existing.

Thanks!
Old 10-26-06, 11:13 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...g35+paint+chip

Maybe that will help. Depending on how many chips you have though, it might be easier to just repaint it...?
Old 10-28-06, 09:50 AM
raysay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint chip solution

I use a product from a Washington company called Langka. My Lexus is pearl white, my wife's BMW is black, and we have a gray Saab. Just get a touch-up paint kit from your dealer, and go to www.langka.com and order the Paint Chip Repair kit. The secret, as I understand it, is Langka's stuff reacts to the chemistry in the touch up paint, not on the OEM paint, so the "bubble" of excess paint you always wind up with after touch up is eliminated, giving you a much better touch up result. I have even used it on small scratches. They have directions on their web site showing you how. Very cool stuff. Tell them you are from Club Lexus, and they will usually give you a 10% discount