Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Windows tinting newb question

Old 07-30-06, 08:15 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windows tinting newb question

Hi guys. Does tinting require disassemble the door? I'm planning to get my IS350 tinted, but I'm worry the doors and power windows won't work properly afterward.
Old 07-30-06, 11:24 PM
islandsnow
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorttt
Hi guys. Does tinting require disassemble the door? I'm planning to get my IS350 tinted, but I'm worry the doors and power windows won't work properly afterward.
i think if you want the job done right, you have to have the tinter remove the door panel. my first tint job was terrible because he didn't remove the panels, and had a heck of a time getting the tint into the area near the front tweaters. i went to another tinter who has done some IS's and he said that you have to take out the panels if you want to do it right. make sure you check out the tinter first to make sure that they've done the new IS's
Old 07-31-06, 12:59 PM
MVis350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by islandsnow
i think if you want the job done right, you have to have the tinter remove the door panel. my first tint job was terrible because he didn't remove the panels, and had a heck of a time getting the tint into the area near the front tweaters. i went to another tinter who has done some IS's and he said that you have to take out the panels if you want to do it right. make sure you check out the tinter first to make sure that they've done the new IS's
o man, now im pretty scared that they mite mess up my doors...this blows
Old 07-31-06, 04:48 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

thanks for the info dude..very helpful!

I guess I will get it tinted at a lexus dealer..this way, I will be insured of everything.
Old 08-01-06, 06:51 PM
islandsnow
Driver

thanks for the info dude..very helpful!

I guess I will get it tinted at a lexus dealer..this way, I will be insured of everything.
its probably a lot more expensive, but yes at least you have a peace of mind. unless you can get recommendations from here in your area.
Old 08-03-06, 09:29 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

If you go to a good tint shop they will remove your door panels, and that's what you want for a professional tint job. The guy I used has been doing it for 15 years and also does power window / door lock conversions, he's probably pulled more door panels than any dealership has.
Old 08-04-06, 03:15 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is tinting windows properly now a difficult thing? Must be an east coast issue because here in LA there's a tint shop on every corner and I haven't heard of anyone getting a poor tint job in years upon years upon years. It really ain't that hard....
Old 08-04-06, 08:29 PM
islandsnow
Driver

have any of them tinted the new IS? maybe they only tint honda's or saturn's

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
is tinting windows properly now a difficult thing? Must be an east coast issue because here in LA there's a tint shop on every corner and I haven't heard of anyone getting a poor tint job in years upon years upon years. It really ain't that hard....
Old 08-05-06, 07:09 AM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

I scheduled with my local Lexus dealer to get it done......feel more confident doing it there.
Old 08-06-06, 03:10 PM
UAL
Rookie

I had mine done by STM over in LA and also had good results with Wintech in OC
Old 08-06-06, 03:12 PM
3m ta3
Lead Lap

I scheduled with my local Lexus dealer to get it done......feel more confident doing it there.
How much does the dealer charge?
Old 08-06-06, 05:04 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

$275.. I know i know it's overpriced, but if something happens, I know they will fix it.
Old 08-06-06, 07:00 PM
UAL
Rookie

I paid a tad under $500 for Huper Optic from Wintech
Old 08-08-06, 07:20 PM
Oum'sIS
Rookie

I dont understand why there are so many shops taking off the door panels for the install. I watched the guys do my 250 and they seemed to do it without any problem. Whats goin on?
Old 08-10-06, 02:44 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Oum'sIS
I dont understand why there are so many shops taking off the door panels for the install. I watched the guys do my 250 and they seemed to do it without any problem. Whats goin on?
exactly i have never had the door panels taken off i have 2 layers of tint on my gs and no dissasembly of the doors in any way where do you guys have your tinting done anyway ?? my guy has also been doing it for 15 years and has tinted about 10 of my cars no matter how hard it was he never had to take off the door panels they have tools that reach the tint further down in the door ...........

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windows tinting newb question