Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

water spots...:(

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-06, 06:49 PM
nighthawk
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water spots...:(

I used the Mr. Clear autodry today and it left a lot of water spots......then I can't get them off. I tried the cleaner wax, detail spray, clay bar,....its on the windows too.

Most of it came off but I still have a little outline of the spot that will not come off. If I put my fingernail over it then I can feel it but I can't seem to scratch it off with my nail.

I don't see how a couple of hours can make this happen

Old 06-18-06, 07:04 PM
IS-Jim
Driver

I bought one of those when they first came out and I didn't like it at all. The water pressure was to low when you had it on spot free and it took forever to go over my entire car. (evo 8) And.. it still left waterspots. I just use one of those synthetic absorbers from wal-mart (9.99) it is quick and easy.
Old 06-18-06, 07:35 PM
Style2k6
Pole Position

I think you also have to take into consideration the water. Is your water softened if not that could cause spots also.
Old 06-18-06, 07:36 PM
nighthawk
Pole Position

okay but how do I get them out???
Old 06-18-06, 07:44 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Style2k6
I think you also have to take into consideration the water. Is your water softened if not that could cause spots also.

I bought it when it first came out too... its junk. some people swear by it... My house already has a water softener system AND using the stupid Mr. Clean filter still left water spots... I never used it again.

Plus their "soap" I think strips a lot more than they say it does... have you noticed... your wash mitt becomes BLACK! No matter what... Theres somthing in that dangerous soap of theirs...
Old 06-18-06, 07:47 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nighthawk
okay but how do I get them out???
Ummm I can only suggest this... I found it to get rid of the most stubborn bird poop stains and most water spots that i've had left on my cars...

Meguiars 3 step Deep Crystal System... it works for my problems... so thats all i can say. Might have to repeat the steps a few times...

3. Then finish off with a wax of your choice. They recommend this but I use my own stuff.. either NXT Generation Tech Wax or Rejex.

1 and 2 should get that stain out. Keep repeating steps 1 and 2 and it''ll come out. act quick. dont let it sit in there too long.
Old 06-18-06, 07:47 PM
Dj Rando
Pole Position

Sorry my friend. It happened to me also. I took it to my local car wash, and the dude got it out with buff and wax. 130bucks. But from now on, just take it to you car wash to get it washed. They use soft water, and heck, they do all the work for you for around 10$ plus tip. Can't beat it.
Old 06-18-06, 07:48 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Use a claybar and then follow-up with polish and wax. You should have good results with this combination.
Old 06-18-06, 07:51 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Folks there is a detailing forum for questions like this please... moving this thread there ....

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-18-06 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-18-06, 08:04 PM
Style2k6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
I bought it when it first came out too... its junk. some people swear by it... My house already has a water softener system AND using the stupid Mr. Clean filter still left water spots... I never used it again.

Plus their "soap" I think strips a lot more than they say it does... have you noticed... your wash mitt becomes BLACK! No matter what... Theres somthing in that dangerous soap of theirs...

Most water softners only soften the hot water I believe. Are you using cold water to rinse?
Might need a trip to the detailer to get them out or they may just fade with time.
Old 06-18-06, 08:20 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Style2k6
Most water softners only soften the hot water I believe. Are you using cold water to rinse?
Might need a trip to the detailer to get them out or they may just fade with time.
Yes I use cold water to rise the car...

Most... but ours run from the main water line through the softener then out to the house and into the hot water tank. So all water going through the house is softened besides one outlet thats taped off for the gardening hose... and no i'm not using that one to wash the car... The soft water has been tested by the company and its within "soft" tolerance... so its not the softener isnt working... I get about the same amount of water spots with and without the Mr. Clean Brita filter... maybe a little bit less water spots wtih the brita filter but its junk to me I dont like the whole system.
Old 06-19-06, 06:23 PM
nighthawk
Pole Position

well....I have tried everything...now I am making an appt. with the dealer and going to see if they can help...I don't think something should hurt the paint this easy and I only had the car lik 3 weeks...just doens't seem right so maybe they will be able to get them out....
Old 06-20-06, 01:07 AM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

wash with distilled vinegar, let it sit for a couple mins (iirc), then rinse and wash with car soap. Clay bar will not work.
Old 06-20-06, 06:06 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Vinegar may work but clay for sure will remove those mineral deposits. After either you will need to rewax.

I've used the Mr. Clean and it didn't leave water spots for me but your water may contain more minerals than mine. I'd suggest you make sure the surface is cool when you wash and wash in the shade. I don't use the Mr. Clean any longer as it was a POS, IMO. I now final rinse with the hose nozzle removed to sheet off the majority of the water then I use a couple Meg's Water Magnets to finish it off.
Old 06-23-06, 09:40 PM
UAL
Rookie

I thought Mr.cleanis not supposed to leave watermarks?

Quick Reply: water spots...:(