Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Bird Dropping on Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-06, 02:11 PM
Bengalfang
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bird Dropping on Clear Bra

So I found bird poop on my clear bra today. It was on there up to 9 hrs. Not really sure since I didn't see the car for that long. Anyway I wiped it off with the Quik Detailer but I still see the splotch where the bird poop was. Did the poop eat thru the wax or did it actually hurt my clear bra?

Thanks
Old 06-15-06, 02:24 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

Poorboys makes an effective Bird ****** Remover. Steve may have some clearance bottles in fact.

http://www.detailcity.org/forums/poo...ntinues-8.html
Old 06-15-06, 03:49 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bengalfang
So I found bird poop on my clear bra today. It was on there up to 9 hrs. Not really sure since I didn't see the car for that long. Anyway I wiped it off with the Quik Detailer but I still see the splotch where the bird poop was. Did the poop eat thru the wax or did it actually hurt my clear bra?

Thanks
It probably stained or etched the material. The clear bra is great for preventing chips but it does have some drawbacks; it will stain, scratch and in time the edges will start to show wear. I have removed it from my cars bacause of these reasons.
Old 06-15-06, 03:56 PM
smoothLEX
Driver

Thanks
Be glad the bra was there to protect the paint. As far as I'm concerned, the bra is there to protect the paint. Any damage to the bra only proves to me it's doing it's job.
Old 06-16-06, 05:58 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smoothLEX
Be glad the bra was there to protect the paint. As far as I'm concerned, the bra is there to protect the paint. Any damage to the bra only proves to me it's doing it's job.
I agree, after it starts to look bad just replace it. I have stains from bugs on mine, just the way it is. I have been told the sun will bleach them out but mine is always garaged both at home and work so it is not outside very often. The summer is the worst with the bugs but there is not much you can do. Overall, it has saved me quite a few rock chips, and the same for my wife's car - they are worth it!
Old 06-16-06, 06:05 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks
I have a clear bra on top of the blizzard pearl. if bug guts or bird poop sets on the bra too long, you can definitely see a stain after you wash the GX. however, my buddy has a darker color with the bra and you can't see the stain.

CV
Old 06-16-06, 09:05 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
I have a clear bra on top of the blizzard pearl. if bug guts or bird poop sets on the bra too long, you can definitely see a stain after you wash the GX. however, my buddy has a darker color with the bra and you can't see the stain.
CV
True, my wife's X5 is Sapphire Black and you cannot see any stains on the bra, but my Blizzard Pearl shows it all.
Old 06-16-06, 09:54 AM
Bengalfang
Driver

Weird, I can see stains on my bra and I have Smokey Granite Mica (the dark dark charcoal color).

These stains aren't covered by the warranty for the bras are they?
Old 06-16-06, 01:04 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Weird, I can see stains on my bra and I have Smokey Granite Mica (the dark dark charcoal color).

The installer who did mine would call it "Owner Neglect". What a Douche Bag!!!!!!!
Old 06-16-06, 01:29 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

You should check with the dealer. My dealer said they would replace the bra in that event.
Old 06-16-06, 02:30 PM
smoothLEX
Driver

I don't believe it is covered by warranty. I was instructed to wax the bra quite often to prevent stains and such. I did have a few bug stains before on another car, and it did bleach out in the sun after a while. We just have to keep in mind that the bra is there to protect the paint. Without the bra, any damage, stains, ect. would be on the paint and not the bra.

If I left the bra sitting outside and left bird dropping on the bra to bake in the sun, I wouldn't bother considering it being something that is covered under warranty. It's probably my own fault that I didn't notice it or that I should have taken it out earlier. In the same manner, I wouldn't go complain to the manufacturer if I had stains or chips on my paint. In the past month, the bra has already saved me from many chips on my new GS. I wouldn't get another car without it.

Last edited by smoothLEX; 06-16-06 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-17-06, 11:33 PM
UAL
Rookie

Funny to see how everyone's expectations are fairly diverse here. Some 15 years ago I had a tire and wheel store before becoming a pilot. Almost every month, I would have a customer come to us and ask us to fix a flat or to replace a tire because a nail would get embedded onto the sidewall. When we tell the customer it is not part of our warranty, they would throw a fit and ask about warranty. I even had one customer at a time who wanted new tires because they wore out rather quickly within the year and it was apparent that his springs were cut and the camber completely off. This person reminded me a lot with the comment lkirchner made.
Old 06-19-06, 06:02 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lkirchner
The installer who did mine would call it "Owner Neglect". What a Douche Bag!!!!!!!
Yeah, I guess when you drive cross country over two days, you should stop every hour or so and get your ride detailed to prevent the stains.

CV