Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How long to wait in between coats of wax/sealant?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-05, 11:19 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How long to wait in between coats of wax/sealant?

I just finished washing and waxing my car using Klasse All-In-One. I'd like to put on a final coating of Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze but how long should I wait for the base coat of wax to cure?
Old 11-06-05, 11:34 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Klasse AIO isn't a wax in the typical sense of the word, it's a cleaner polish with some sealing abilities. You can apply Klasse SG immediately afterwards and continue to layer it almost indefinitely (wait 24 hours in betwee SG layers if you do decide to layer it). Most folks who use AIO use it for it's cleaning abilities more than it's sealing abilities, so they follow with a sealant/wax.

The only reason you wouldn't be able to add SG immediately after AIO is if you put a layer of wax on after the AIO, but I didn't get that impression from your post.
Old 11-06-05, 11:40 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Hmm, I guess their desciption was confusing, saying it's a paint cleaner, polish and synthetic car wax (sealant) in one. No, I didn't add a wax layer after applying the base coat of AIO as I thought it was a wax. Would I still need to add a real wax layer or is AIO like a wax substitute?
Old 11-06-05, 11:46 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

The product itself is a little confusing since it's really three things in one (that description is accurate). You don't have to add a sealant or wax after AIO since it does seal as it cleans and polishes, but like I said most folks do add another layer of either wax or sealant after they use AIO, since it doesn't have the best durabilty. Since you already have SG (I presume?) I'd just put a layer of that over the AIO. After that you can add another layer of SG whenever you feel like it as long as the car is clean.

Cheers.
Old 11-06-05, 12:19 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Thanks for your help and clarification, picus. I just finished putting on a layer of SG and will wait for it to dry before buffing it off.
Old 11-06-05, 12:21 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SGT
Thanks for your help and clarification, picus. I just finished putting on a layer of SG and will wait for it to dry before buffing it off.
Sweet - post pics when you're done!
Old 11-06-05, 02:20 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Wish I could take pics but it was all dark by the time I finished buffing, which took forever b/c for some reason the SG was so much harder to buff out than the AIO. Perhaps it's because the sun was out while I was buffing the AIO and by the time I got to the SG, it was cold and windy. What a workout today has been. I started at 10:30am and finished at 5pm.
Old 11-06-05, 03:01 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SGT
Wish I could take pics but it was all dark by the time I finished buffing, which took forever b/c for some reason the SG was so much harder to buff out than the AIO. Perhaps it's because the sun was out while I was buffing the AIO and by the time I got to the SG, it was cold and windy. What a workout today has been. I started at 10:30am and finished at 5pm.
It wasn't the weather - SG is notoriously difficult to remove, which is probably it's only weakness. You have to apply it very, very, very thin, so thin in fact that it doesn't even look like it's going on, otherwise it's a real bear to buff off. So ya, I wouldn't sweat it, in this case it's the product.
Old 11-06-05, 03:29 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

That explains why my arms were about to fall off. From the looks of the way it went on, I initially thought that it would be a breeze to buff off. Little did I know how wrong I was.