Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Where to claybar in Garden Grove, CA?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-05, 12:34 PM
kingkong5
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to claybar in Garden Grove, CA?

I'm interested in getting the claybar treatment on my car, but I'm not sure if it's a do-it-yourself job, or if there exists some detailing place that would do it for me. Any idea on places in Garden Grove (near Disneyland) and approximate cost to claybar my GS400?
Old 06-26-05, 12:39 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ANY detailer will do it for you, but there's really no reason you can't learn to do it yourself. All you need is the clay, some water and car shampoo, and patience.

Read this if you're tempted;

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-clay.html

Best of luck either way.
Old 06-26-05, 12:45 PM
kingkong5
Lead Lap

thanks for the info Guitarman! I'll most likely give it a try, since I don't know any detailers around here. I take the car to the hand carwash place up the street, $6.95 on Tues/Wed. And twice a year I'll have them wax it for $25. But I don't think the carwash place does the clay, so i guess I'll start looking for a real detailer.
Old 06-26-05, 03:34 PM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

Almost any car wash place will have the option for a full detail job that will include claybar step... since it takes a while you just have to make an appt or drop off the car for a while. If you DIY make sure you take your time, it is worth the effort!

My sister in law lives in Tustin and I know she uses a mobile detailer who comes to her home to detail her cars, if you want I will get the name/number for you... he does decent work... also there is a guy in the Long Beach area who does full details with Zaino finishes instead of wax, let me know if you want that name/number too.
Old 06-26-05, 04:55 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

if ur paint is REALLY screwed up like light scratches and such and a detail is gunna be over $100 then juss go down to LMW in monrovia and theyl do a full detail for $140ish and in it theyl WET SAND the whole car. as soon as i get my garage cleaned up so my car fits in il have them do mine and post the results.

-Annant
Old 06-26-05, 05:03 PM
kingkong5
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
if ur paint is REALLY screwed up like light scratches and such and a detail is gunna be over $100 then juss go down to LMW in monrovia and theyl do a full detail for $140ish and in it theyl WET SAND the whole car. as soon as i get my garage cleaned up so my car fits in il have them do mine and post the results.

-Annant

Is this where we're having the SoCal meet in August? I wonder if I can get it done just before or during the meet? thanks for the suggestion
Old 06-26-05, 06:12 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my friend can do a full exterior detail including clay bar if you wish. He can do it in your driveway.

PM , me if you're interested.
Old 06-26-05, 07:05 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

If you are inclined to put in the time and effort I would just do it yourself. It is not very hard to use and the results are very rewarding when you have done the work yourself I use the mothers claybar and it works great for me
Old 06-29-05, 06:29 PM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

i will claybar your car for you.
Old 06-29-05, 10:56 PM
98LexusGS
Driver

Just did both my GS's yesterday. It is definitely worth it. And, it is really easy to do. I bought Mother's claybar with the detail spray. Spray the detail stuff on one panel at a time. Take the bar and rub it back and forth (lightly). You can hear the bar picking up dirt (sounds like when you sand something). Spray some more detail spray and wipe off. I follow this up with a coat of Meguiar's NXT. This stuff is awesome - it's so easy to put on and take off. Just take your time doing it. I clayed both my cars cause I'm taking it to put the Aeroshield film on this Friday. I've heard about using Zaino instead of wax but I'm no expert and that stuff sounds like it's kind of tricky to use.
Old 06-30-05, 09:34 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

check your pm
Old 07-01-05, 04:38 PM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

its been done by me..... very nice member,,,, pleasure to meet, too bad i didnt get a chance to take pics to show everybody the results.............