ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Care & Detailing (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing-122/)
-   -   Waxing A Black 98 GS400 (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing/14639-waxing-a-black-98-gs400.html)

kuruption213 05-15-01 08:25 AM

whats up all,
i just got a 98 Black GS400 and want to know what I should wax with. I looked at all the archives of past postings and I've decided to try Zaino Bros but I had heard that I should use the Z-3 for normal finishes on the Black because it is not a clear coated finish like the others. Does anyone know if this is true or should I use the Z-2 (for clear coated finish)

mkilty 05-15-01 08:42 AM

That is a good question. I happen to use Z-2 since that is what I have but I've heard as well that the black paint has no clear coat.

If anyone knows let us in on the secret. :)

Mean Gene 05-15-01 08:50 AM

Interchangable

I use the Z-3 on my GS4 because when I pulled off the side skirts to install the L-Sportline ones, I wet-sanded a small area & observed no clear coat ( it would have been visible as a milky residue, based on my years of bodyworking ). I ordered the Z-2 on my first order ( thinking all Lexus cars were cleared ) but I e-beamed Sal Zaino & he said that it would be OK to use up the Z-2 & then switch over to Z-3. He said the only difference between the two was that he added some ingredients that would help preserve non-cleared finishes in lieu of the clear coat. The optics are the same between them - be sure & use multiple coats of the Z-5 to reduce the swirls so obvious on a black finish!;)

400DGRZ 05-15-01 09:17 AM

Where can I purchase these Zaino products and for about how much? Thanks.:)

disc108 05-15-01 09:42 AM

http://www.zainobros.com/

nanotech 05-15-01 05:50 PM

WATCH OUT with those black gs's !!!

I remember when my cuz waxed/polished/buffed my friend's 98 black gs4 sometime last year he messed it all up !

He put it on and couldn't get it off, he tried a lot of buffers and machines and stuff, nothing worked, my friend's black gs is all milky and looks awfull !

But for some reason he doesn't care about his car (rarely ever washes, first time buffed by my cuz who messed it up).

He already got an LX470 now and wants to sell his gs4 now (60g miles, loaded), I think for around $22g, really cheap, but probably needs to be professionally cleaned up and buffed/waxed first. Last time I talked to him he said he was gonna put it up on ebay for $22g.

biggie27 05-15-01 08:45 PM

yes lexus does not offer a clear coat on there black cars thats what they told me when I first purchased my car they said that the black is the only color that doesnt have a clear coat

Bruce 05-16-01 04:20 AM

I thought almost all new car today have clear coats. Was the color code for your black GS #202? (Find manufacturers label which has scan bar on it which should be located on driver door. Look for letters; C/TR on label. "C" is for color/ "TR" is for trim.) It should be a two stage paint using a Black base and a Clear coat. An easy way to tell is to use any cleaner type wax and rub a small section (that has original paint) If you see black on the pad then there is no clear coat; If there is NO black on the pad then it has a clear coat.I like to use 3M Swirl Mark Remover (AKA; Ebony Liquid) which is made for dark colored cars as cleaner/prep. Meguiar's #2 and/or #9 is also a good prep. Then finish with quality Carnuba wax such Meguiar's #26. BTW; When washing don't use dish soap it because other than being too harsh, it also pulls the oil out of the paint. :)

lexus808 05-18-01 09:00 AM

hmm.. does anyone know why the black GS has no clearcoat? that seems odd to me. is it just the older models or do the 2001's have no clearcoat as well?

TheWorm 05-18-01 09:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a '00 GS black, and can confirm NO clearcoat. Sal Zaino was fairly certain and I confirmed using some polish on the door jamb and got residue.

No clear is faily common on flat/solid color cars (esp luxury) with no metallic.

I've done a few coats of z5/z3 (3 z5, 2 z3) on mine and it looks exceptional -- esp since the car hadn't been waxed since I got it 1.5 yrs ago. Check it out!
FWIW I did the dawn/clay/dawn before the z1/5/3 with coats of z6 in between.

This is the trunk...

TheWorm 05-18-01 09:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the side. Wicked, methinks :)

Francis K 05-18-01 11:57 AM

Wait...

What about my Black LX450? I went to go pick up my new center caps and I asked if I had a clearcoat, his response was "well it must have to somthing to make it that shiny"? Okay?

one more thing, should I or should I not strip all the wax off my Lex with dish soap before I do a complete wax over it?

Johnny Mo 05-18-01 12:07 PM

Why no clear coat

I heard the reason you don't clear coat black is because it will show swirls 10 times worse than straight paint. Plus the clear gives off a glare that makes the paint look wavy.

TheWorm 05-18-01 12:12 PM

Re: Why no clear coat

Originally posted by Johnny Mo
I heard the reason you don't clear coat black is because it will show swirls 10 times worse than straight paint. Plus the clear gives off a glare that makes the paint look wavy.
Black's tough insofar as swirls, with or without clearcoat. My wife's Acura MDX is black w/clearcoat. What a royal pain in the a**. I can't get it to look half as good as the 1.5-year-wax-neglected GS without clear, and hers is BRAND NEW. Swirls galore and WAY more spiderwebbing.

Mean Gene 05-18-01 12:30 PM

No Clear

Hey Worm - Outstanding job on your hood ( whatta reflection!! ):eek: The word I get from my dealer is that Lexus doesn't clear-coat ANY of their black paint jobs, regardless of model. It's got something to do with the wavy situation that Johnny said, plus it supposedly dulls the shine!?:confused: Always thought that clear was supposed to enhance the shine as well as protect - why can't Lexus get that right? Glad I found Zaino!!;)