Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Headlight cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-01, 05:10 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember seeing a post somewhere about this stuff (i think from Meguiars) that cleans the plastic on ur headlights and makes them look brand new. Anyone know where this post is or what i am talking about???
I would like to just clean the outside of the headlights b/c it sounds like it is a lot of trouble to clean the inside and then reseal them. Also, does anyone know how to take out the high beams (center oval lights)?

Old 05-13-01, 08:29 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Exclamation

MyLexus,

It was Plexi Polish by .... uh I forgot, it's in the garage... please don't make me get it now. I got it from Auotzone for $3.99 it is recommended for plexig glass, convertible back glass, any plastic type lens. I also use it for my rear lens, corner lights, high beam covers, etc..

I'll edit this reply tomorrow once I go and get the bottle... Just for you.
Old 05-14-01, 08:49 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Heres what you need-

Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Cleaner #17 (M-1708)
and
Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Polish #10 (M-1008)

They come in 8 oz bottles.

This stuff works like gold. I was this close to dropping down a few bills to get new lenses for my headlights and high beams. Thank God I didn't. I didn't even have to remove them and pop them in the oven like a frozen pizza as stated in the Supra Forum. I left those sum'******es right on the car and hit them with a buffer. Less than 10 minutes later, they looked crystal clear and mine were pretty bad! Now they look BRAND F'N NEW!!!!! W/O a buffer it might take a little elbow grease, but who cares. The end result is simply soooooo worth it. Good luck.

Keith
Old 05-14-01, 07:12 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a three inch scratch on one of my GS headlights. I think some jerk had fun with his keys. Would this stuff get it out?

Thanks,

Brian
Old 05-14-01, 07:44 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Lightbulb Steel Wool

Originally posted by Brian S
I've got a three inch scratch on one of my GS headlights. I think some jerk had fun with his keys. Would this stuff get it out?

Thanks,

Brian
I haven't tried this, but I've read that you can use very fine steel wool (like 0000 or more zeros) to take down the scratch -- then use the Meguiar's.
You should be able to get the steel wool at a building supply or an auto parts or glass store.
It may not totally remove the scratch, but it can make it much less noticeable.
Old 05-14-01, 08:14 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Hmmmm, steel wool?? :eek: I'd think that might put more, fine, scatches in the plexi.

Brian
Old 05-14-01, 08:26 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

That's why it has to be very fine steel wool. This is much finer than the steel wool used in the kitchen. Think of it more as a polishing tool. If you used it on dull metal it would shine it up.

It will leave small fine scratches, but it will take out larger ones. Then use the polish to remove the small scratches from the steel wool.
Old 05-14-01, 08:46 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Okay, I'll keep that in mind when I get back to the mainland next month. I really want to get rid of that scratch.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 05-15-01, 03:19 AM
sc400nos

Ok, think about it, a scratch is a removal of a material. You cannot take away something that has been taken away. The only hope you have is to hide it, crappy, or buy a new headlight.
Old 05-15-01, 06:09 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

sc400nos,

You're right. If I knew of a material that could fill the scratch and make the repair invisable I'd jump on that in a second. If someone knows of such a material and how to apply it I'd love to learn about it. It would be the perfect solution. (I've heard you can use clear epoxy or Krazy Glue.)

If the material around the scratch is thick enough, you can lower the surrounding material to make the scratch less noticable...and virtually hide it except for a close inspection.

Also, if the scratch is not too deep you can bring the surrounding material down to the lowest part of the scratch and "disappear" it.

Clearly, the best repair is to replace it. But, this technique may salvage the light and save $ and time.

(BTW, I've seen classic car demonstrations where they use the fine steel wool on taillights, etc to get off the grunge and powdering that happens over time. They say you should put a coat of wax on the plastic after using the steel wool to keep the shine.)
Old 05-15-01, 01:27 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

I'm curious how the Plexi-Scratch remover works. I'm thinking it's some type of acidy stuff that eats away and blends the scratches into the light. Is the stuff permenant, or is it like a wax that must be continually applied?

Thanks,

Brian
Old 05-15-01, 07:09 PM
GS3-Kid858
Driver

where do u guys buy the pexi-glass cleaner for $3.99?? i just bought it for $6.99 help please