ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Care & Detailing (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing-122/)
-   -   White GS Paint problems! (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing/14322-white-gs-paint-problems.html)

gs4to4 05-08-01 09:03 AM

I have a 98 GS4 in white. On the sides of the car, the lower panels, are fading and turning into an ugly yellowish color. I talked to lexus and they said it is a common problem and told me that they would repaint it. I don't want my car touched by a bodyshop. Is there another cure to this? Anyone else experiencing this problem? Maybe there is a chemical that can atleast get some of the yellowing out. Please help
Thanks

Manaray 05-08-01 09:12 AM

Well if the paint is changing color, there's nothing you can do but repaint it...what's wrong with taking it to a bodyshop?

It is possible that your CLEAR COAT is what changed colors and it MIGHT be fixable with wax and a buffer. You could also try colorsanding but I'm pretty sure it's the paint, which is UNDER the clearcoat so applying any type of chemical would only affect the clearcoat.

I'm not 100% sure but I think there are clearcoats with UV protection to prevent discoloration. So if you get it repainted, you can have them use this type of clearcoat to prevent future discoloration....but I also remember hearing that White Pearl will almost always turn yellowish after a while. I'm heading over to my buddy's bodyshop today, I'll ask him and his painters about this (all my cars have been silver or dark colors so I've never run into this problem) unless someone else knows...

gs4to4 05-08-01 09:29 AM

Thanks for the advice manaray.
You guys think that using the Claybar will help?

geodesic 05-08-01 11:04 AM

The claybar will only remove contaminates which have adhered to the surface of the paint. Sounds like your discoloration is a problem with the paint and not something which has gotten stuck to the car's surface.

Good luck.

HI98GS 05-08-01 04:45 PM

I complained to my lexus dealer and service writers. Since they are very good guys, they decided that it didn't look too bad. I did state that most of the problems that have been reported were fixed by repainting. The service writers contacted Toyota in Japan and found that people have had many complaints but they do not know exactly what the color change is since they have never seen any of the panels. Pictures don't do to well. My dealer decided to order all brand new factory painted panels, front and rear bumpers were also ordered (these needed to be painted at the shop) just so they can see the difference in the colors. To our surprise even all the new panels were of a different shade of white. Not only from the color of the car itself but also between panels. The final decision was to paint all the panels. They were nice about this since they thought that ordering new panels for me would do the trick. I was kinda lucky since my front lip and side skirts were in at the time of painting, they painted this with the same batch of paint. Car looks really clean now. Paint is matched almost perfectly, the panels are just a shade brighter than the body. Total cost to me was only 200. since they painted the side skirts and front lip for me. not bad to have all the panels and bumper looking all one color. total cost to dealer over 2500. to order parts and labor. Good luck with yours, just get it painted is my final recomendation, but see if they will pay for it

aloha from hawaii
ricky

HI98GS 05-08-01 04:49 PM

one more thing

just one more thing. If you do get the panels painted, make sure that the rubber portion on the bottom of the panel is not painted or make sure they use a good mixture for this part. The reason is there is a lot of flex additive in this part, you can bend it quite a bit and it won't crack. This is so it makes a good seal with the side skirt. I don't recomend you bending it now since it is kinda old, but when i had my old ones replaced, we bent it over 90 degrees and the paint shop was so impressed that it didn't crack that they did not want to paint the brand new ones.

laterz
ricky

babyGS3 05-09-01 04:53 AM

Ricky....

you from hawaii?? I'm heading down to UHM to take a physics class. hei... do you have any recommendations as to how to find a place for me to rent for 3 months in hawaii?

anyway.. about the panels.... they painted my panels for free... under warranty.... but they ruined my chrome panels... our bodyshop is not alll that good down here in Guam... as I said... they left swirlmarks all over the car using a dirty buffer... (even the windows)...
My advice.... Get it painted under warranty... it should be covered. My panels have not faded since the repaint. The panels are thought to fade because of the irregular bond between the paint and the polyurethane material in the panels... when you repaint the panels, they will paint over the paint (the old paint acting as a shield) preventing reaction of the new layer of paint and the polyurethane panel...and preventing the yellowing/fading...

XbulldogOLD 05-09-01 09:23 AM

Hey I have the same problem with my 99 GS400. As a matter of fact when I first took delivery of my car, the dealer had detailed it and put tire dressing on. After I drove away, I stopped, and got out of the car to just look at it, and I noticed that the tire dressing had kicked up all over the lower side panels. I tried to wipe it off, but nothing would come off. I drove back to the dealership, and they tried to wash it again, but still, the panels had all the juice on 'em. They were totally stained. The dealer replaced all the panels with those on an identical car on their lot. A week later I was back with the same issue; stained lower panels. Since then I never put anything on my tires except for a silicone-only tire spray. Now my car is 2 years old with 19,000 miles on it, and I have the same problem as you GS4to4, my lower panels are looking quite yellow...what I would like to know is if the dealer is who you contacted about repainting, or was it Lexus Customer Service? I want mine to be redone, but knowing it is a common problem, it would make it easier for me to go about fixing it the same way you did....let me know!

XbulldogOLD 05-09-01 10:04 AM

Scratch That Post!!!!

I just called my dealership and they are aware of the problem and are replacing all the lower panels and repainting the bumpers on my car this Monday. They said it will take approx. 3 days. Man, that was easy!!! I'll let you know if the problem returns...

gsfour 05-09-01 01:55 PM

I wonder if the crystal white will fade too? That color started in 2000. I've had my car since Feb2000 and no fading yet...keeping my fingers crossed.

2000 GS400 Plat. Ed. Weds Farmas/Bilstein/Eibach/Nitto 555

Kajukenbo 05-09-01 06:23 PM

I think that's why they discontinued the pearl white color. Crystal white is the only white that they offered from 2000 and up.

I sure hope they fixed the problem when they changed to crystal white. ;)

Grush 05-09-01 11:08 PM

I had the same problem with my 99GS300. Remember, it's also the door handles, mirror panels and rear license plate light panel. they all yellow!!!!

Way too much painting of a new car for me (50%). I just saw the chance of new paint chipping/peeling in time, and opted to trade it in for a new one (different color). My body shop agreed with my choice.