Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Does Leather Dye exsist for autos?

Old 09-22-04, 12:17 PM
CLutch9000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Leather Dye exsist for autos?

Hi guys...... I was wondering if there is a leather dye available for automobiles? I have black leather in my GS 300 and want to make them darker. I think they have lightened a little over the years. If there is dye available please let me know wear to purchase. Thanks
Old 09-22-04, 10:13 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=134214

The above thread further down on this forum page asks a similar question, and I give some choices.

I've used SEM and DuPont dyes and they work excellent if you do the prep properly, and that involves some attention to detail and the correct cleaners and prepping solvents. You'd need a spray gun or air brush to apply them, they can't be brushed on with good results.

Outside that, you can buy the Auto Zone variety shaker cans, but as I mentioned in the above post, they likely wouldn't match the lexus dye...of course if you want a darker black anyway then it might be what you want. They also sell a clear polyurethane topcoat just like oem applies, to seal them.

If you are going to re-do the whole interior, be aware, the first time you do it there is a learning curve and the result will be leather that doesn't look or "feel" quite as good as oem leather. They are primarily engineered for touch up work, I suggest you consult a professional unless you're really feeling lucky.