Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Show Prep / Detailing Guide & Definitions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-10, 01:12 AM
BongAdvent
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

learn alot off this thread.... thanks!
Old 05-18-11, 05:42 PM
john1click
Driver School Candidate

great info
Old 08-04-11, 04:56 PM
Tastefully
Driver School Candidate

quite the extensive list their OP, very useful info
Old 08-04-11, 05:07 PM
Tastefully
Driver School Candidate

^^ that website has take hours of my life, lol. so much good stuff on there, the cars in the gallery are so clean they look like toys
Old 09-26-11, 10:40 AM
Nuckingfut
Driver

Great write-up! I have a few quick questions about the process:

1) Is the PC 7424XP ok to use in place of the 7424 (which is almost twice the cost of the xp)?

2) When using the polisher, are you going say front to back on the hood in straight rows or some other pattern? In other words are you letting the polisher do all the circular motions while you guide the polisher in a straight line run?

3) If the condition of my paint is overall still pretty good, should I just stick with 'polishing' pads and not use 'cutting' pads

4) About how many polishing pads & finishing pads will I need to complete an entire job on one car (IS250)?

Thanks for helping me put together my shopping list!
Old 09-26-11, 11:37 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuckingfut
Great write-up! I have a few quick questions about the process:

1) Is the PC 7424XP ok to use in place of the 7424 (which is almost twice the cost of the xp)?

2) When using the polisher, are you going say front to back on the hood in straight rows or some other pattern? In other words are you letting the polisher do all the circular motions while you guide the polisher in a straight line run?

3) If the condition of my paint is overall still pretty good, should I just stick with 'polishing' pads and not use 'cutting' pads

4) About how many polishing pads & finishing pads will I need to complete an entire job on one car (IS250)?

Thanks for helping me put together my shopping list!
1. The 7424XP is the latest Porter-Cable product replacing the older 7424 model. The XP has more power and is likely a better machine but the older 7424 buffers were made in the US and the new XP models are made in China, so only time will tell if the new models are as durable as the old. My PC is now 16 years old and has seen over a thousand vehicles. It still works as good today as when I bought it.

2. Move the pad in front to back overlapping strokes then side to side, again in overlapping strokes. Repeat and wipe up the residue. Inspect to see that the defects have been removed then move on if you are satisfied. Try to limit your work area to something like 2'x2' at a time and move the pad at the rate of about 1" a second. Nice and slow. Pay attention to keeping the pad flat on the paint and that the pad keeps rotating. No rotation = no cut. I mark my pad with a permanent marker to it is easy to see the rotation. If you're not seeing rotation, less pressure should be applied. Its a good idea to do a test spot to see if the pad and polish combo is doing what you expect it to. Also learn how to properly prime the pad. Once primed, only add two or three pea sized drops of polish to the pad to work the paint. You actually use a lot of polish to prime the pad but then polishing uses very little.

3. I'd sure start with the polishing pad. Like I mentioned, check a test spot to see that your choice of pad and polish is delivering the results you want. The idea is to level the paint but you don't want to remove any more paint than needed so start with mild pads and polishes. If its not cutting it move up to a stronger polish, still not cutting it step up to a more aggressive pad. On some paints the use of aggressive pads and polishes will leave hazing and require going over the car with a mild polish and finishing pad to remove it.

4. You should be able to get it done with a couple of each. This assumes you are cleaning the pads after every panel. You can clean the pad by folding a cotton towel and pressing it against the pad and turning the buffer on. Refold the towel and repeat after each panel. This is a key to effectively polishing the paint. As the pad gets saturated with spent polish, lubricating oils and removed paint it will no longer cut well. Its imperative to clean the pads to keep them working effectively.

Last edited by jfelbab; 09-26-11 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-26-11, 01:22 PM
Nuckingfut
Driver

I appreciate the lengthy reply, great info!
Old 12-22-11, 04:29 AM
LexUser85
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little late but this information is priceless! Definitely answered a lot of questions I had!! Thanks!!
Old 04-26-12, 03:58 AM
ditch2
Driver School Candidate

thanks, very detailed
Old 07-09-13, 03:12 PM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I do not recommend any use of power tools touching the paint. Anything done to the paint can be done by hand and there is no concern about burning the edge or meeting your primer.
Old 07-09-13, 06:05 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Autoplak
I do not recommend any use of power tools touching the paint. Anything done to the paint can be done by hand and there is no concern about burning the edge or meeting your primer.
The PC 7424XP is a safe tool and can deliver results that just cannot be accomplished by hand.

Check out this pair of videos if you want more info on just how safe the PC7424Xp is.

Here is another:

About the only way to damage paint with the PC 7424XP is by dropping it on the paint.
Old 07-10-13, 06:16 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Autoplak
Sure, anything can be done by hand... but why would you?

Especially when there are safe tools like DA polishers. Rotary machines are becoming a thing of the past, while DA machines are the go to product for paint correction/restoration. These DA machines are extremely safe, even in the hands of a beginner. The risk of burning through paint is slim to none (unless you are completely incompetent).

Here is part 1 (of many) that shows how to safely use a DA polisher, and it is even featuring a Lexus IS as the sample vehicle.

In my professional opinion, every car owner would be doing themselves a huge favor if they were to purchase and learn to use a DA polisher. They are great for annual touch ups, and for applying sealant and/or wax on a regular basis.

-Zach
Old 01-10-14, 11:39 AM
rustyd
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lots of good information and product choices here....
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/
Old 06-14-14, 11:58 AM
Doublelift
Driver School Candidate

Lexus dealership offered me $170 to do a complete interior+exterior detail. Think it's worth it?
Old 06-14-14, 01:49 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublelift
Lexus dealership offered me $170 to do a complete interior+exterior detail. Think it's worth it?
Do you think it's worth it?

Do you know if they do it in house or send the car to a detailer?

Quick Reply: Show Prep / Detailing Guide & Definitions