Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

All about Lexus leather

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-17, 05:11 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by AUGuy21
Pictures as requested on passenger side

Passenger before Lexol

Passenger after Lexol

Those results are simply AMAZING! I've been using Leather Master's Strong Cleaner and the Protection Cream and feel it doesn't actually make much of a difference before and after -- then again, the leather on our 430 doesn't really show any cracks or wrinkles as it is. I was turned off by claims that Lexol is greasy but those photos look simply amazing, the after photos look brand new! I may have to try out some of this Lexol stuff.
Old 01-04-17, 05:03 PM
jincuteguy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about AMMO Lather Interior Cleanser? is it safe to use this on Lexus leather? I have a IS200T Fsport Red Leather.
Old 01-04-17, 05:19 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by jincuteguy
What about AMMO Lather Interior Cleanser? is it safe to use this on Lexus leather? I have a IS200T Fsport Red Leather.
You do not need to use any real cleaners on your new Lexus leather. Just get a new microfiber towel, soak it in warm water, wring it out some and go over the seats with nothing more than a damp warm cloth. Use a second cloth to wipe dry.

Very easy to ruin the materiel if you use the wrong cleaner, wrong technique, not wipe off all residual product, etc. So best to play it safe. In my experience, the new Lexus leather is not the best they've had and nowhere near the best in the industry. I would not risk it with trying a bunch of chemicals. Once the material is gone or compromised, there is no going back.

If you use your car alot and it will get dirty seats, just do a thorough Leatherique treatment on it every 2 years on a weekend when the car isn't being used. Those products do not require heavy agitation so you're not risking ruining the material of the seats and other leather surfaces. Everybody and their momma has an interior and leather cleaner these days and they will all tell you theirs is the best, etc. Just go with what's been proven a hundred times.
Old 01-20-17, 12:02 PM
allendsup2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought a 2013 RX350 with saddle tan interior. Driver seat leather seems hard and has some scuff marks too. Is leatherique good option to clean the leather seats? I do not want to ruin them so a little bit cautious.
Old 01-21-17, 03:14 PM
jincuteguy
Driver

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
You do not need to use any real cleaners on your new Lexus leather. Just get a new microfiber towel, soak it in warm water, wring it out some and go over the seats with nothing more than a damp warm cloth. Use a second cloth to wipe dry.

Very easy to ruin the materiel if you use the wrong cleaner, wrong technique, not wipe off all residual product, etc. So best to play it safe. In my experience, the new Lexus leather is not the best they've had and nowhere near the best in the industry. I would not risk it with trying a bunch of chemicals. Once the material is gone or compromised, there is no going back.

If you use your car alot and it will get dirty seats, just do a thorough Leatherique treatment on it every 2 years on a weekend when the car isn't being used. Those products do not require heavy agitation so you're not risking ruining the material of the seats and other leather surfaces. Everybody and their momma has an interior and leather cleaner these days and they will all tell you theirs is the best, etc. Just go with what's been proven a hundred times.
You sure with just Warm water and good microfiber cloths can clean good on Leather? Warm water won't harm the leather?
Old 01-21-17, 03:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Does warm water harm your skin?
Old 01-21-17, 05:36 PM
jincuteguy
Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Does warm water harm your skin?
I dont know, does it harm your skin?
Old 01-21-17, 05:40 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

A wrung out towel will not damage your leather, real or synthetic. Over wetting your leather (real leather) could cause damage so just be sure to wring out the towel to remove most of the water before wiping the leather down. The leather in your car is coated with a urethane paint so the water should not be absorbed directly anyway. The resulting wet film left on the leather will evaporate and be absorbed by the leather on a molecular level (transpiration) which will keep the leather plump and soft. This will not only clean your leather by removing loose dust and dirt but it will promote hydration and thus reduce creasing and potentially cracking. Depending on how soiled your leather gets, you should resort to a deep cleaning periodically. Keeping your leather clean is vital to its longevity. I'd also suggest using a water-based fluorocarbon protectant after each deep cleaning to prevent dye transfer damage especially on lighter colored leather.
Old 03-11-17, 05:50 PM
DoYuEvenSc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone i really dont want to be flamed on here or step on toes but im really new to interior care and i see everyone is talking about high end heavy duty stuff and was wondering what you guy think of the standard meguiars gold class leather cleaner/conditioner?
Old 04-10-17, 04:32 PM
vital
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What should I use to clean and protect my 2014 IS250 F-Sport red leather?
Old 04-10-17, 04:48 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by vital
What should I use to clean and protect my 2014 IS250 F-Sport red leather?
There are several good cleaners available. I prefer Leather Masters Strong Leather Cleaner mixed 50/50 with mildly hot water. I use this about every quarter and follow with Leather Masters Protection Cream. For weekly care, I wipe down the leather with a wrung our cotton towel or I use Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer.

I've posted several leather care threads so do a search if you want to dig deeper into leather care.
Old 04-11-17, 08:35 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I've owned 4 BMWs, and my current Lexus is the second one I've owned. I have always had good results with Lexol. If used on a regular basis you should never have to worry about the seats getting too dirty. If you let them go for a while then I'd recommend a Leatherique treatment.
Old 04-23-17, 09:44 PM
vital
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it true that the discontinued Lexus Genuine Leather Cleaner and Protectant is the same product made by Mothers? I was told that it was by a Lexus sales rep at the Parts dept..
Old 05-22-17, 10:24 PM
evchao
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been using the Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer for the past year and since my last remaining bit is running out, was thinking of trying something new since they are all roughly the same price where I'm at $12-15 for 17oz. I have Nuluxe interior.

Anyone have opinions on the following - Lexol Vinylex vs NextZett Cockpit Premium vs 303 Protectant. I know 303 is a popular item but I heard there's a shine to it.
Old 05-23-17, 05:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

None of those products are a replacement for the Meguiars QID, they're heavier cleaners, and 303 is a dressing not a cleaner.

Quick Reply: All about Lexus leather