Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

All about Lexus leather

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-18, 09:50 PM
danj
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do ya'll find that the perforations in the leather get preservative in them at all? I found that to happen when using Lexol (not knocking them, just what I was using) on an Acura RSX Type S's seats (selling that car next week and picking up our 2016 ES 350!). So, I started using wipes instead and I was really happy with that. The seats on that car are a little bit "hard' (not pliable like when new), but they are in really good condition. Would really like to setup a good program to keep the ES 350's seats in tip-top condition. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-19-18, 05:10 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by danj
Do ya'll find that the perforations in the leather get preservative in them at all? I found that to happen when using Lexol (not knocking them, just what I was using) on an Acura RSX Type S's seats (selling that car next week and picking up our 2016 ES 350!). So, I started using wipes instead and I was really happy with that. The seats on that car are a little bit "hard' (not pliable like when new), but they are in really good condition. Would really like to setup a good program to keep the ES 350's seats in tip-top condition. Thanks in advance.
just use 303 Aerospace spray you have coated leather so 303 will protect it from the sun.
Old 03-24-18, 01:24 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Max707

just use 303 Aerospace spray you have coated leather so 303 will protect it from the sun.
clean up first with a little woolite and water
Old 03-25-18, 03:58 PM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 143 Posts

I agree with Max707. Woolite is great and my 2013 ES manual states to use Woolite.
Old 04-09-18, 10:40 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

Here is some great data for the forum.

I bought my IS 250 AWD new in 2010 and it had the Luxury Package with the semi-aniline leather.

I lived in Oregon for 1 year, Nebraska for 2 years, and Arizona the last 4 years, thus my car has been in all extreme temps and environments.

I clean the leather with water and a microfiber towel at least once every other week.

I used the Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil and Pristine Clean system once a year.

I just sold my IS after 7 years of ownership and 170,000 miles.

Here is the driver's seat. (the other seats looks almost brand-new).

This should clear up any questions about Leatherique and semi-aniline leather.

I sold this car to the first person who looked at it for above market-value. I take extremely good care of my daily drivers as I put 30k miles per year on them, on average.
Old 07-04-18, 07:06 AM
ostneb
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just an fyi, I recently applied leatherique and instead of using the prestine clean, I used diluted Woolite and thought it worked great. No residue and removed a bunch of the dirt and gunk from seats that rejuvenator brought up. Didn’t see a need for prestine clean if woolite worked well.
Old 07-04-18, 10:46 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

I just use arrow 303 works great for Texas weather from the sun works on everything
Old 07-05-18, 07:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I'm always surprised about the love for 303. I don't like it at all...would never use it on leather...
Old 07-05-18, 10:21 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I'm always surprised about the love for 303. I don't like it at all...would never use it on leather...
Most people don't use 303 for the leather, it is for the rest of the car interior. It is very good stuff, has UV protectant, and is not greasy or shiny. I used it on my GS interior plastics since buying it and the interior looked practically new until it was totaled. I don't see any harm using 303 for leather in cars, conditioners are pretty useless for most automotive leathers because most have a polyurethane coating that does not let any of the conditioner penetrate to the leather. Semi analine car leathers are better suited for conditioners.
Old 07-06-18, 06:34 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

While I don't use 303 protectant in my vehicles, it is a well respected product, especially in the marine world, that protects against deterioration due to UV rays. If I were a convertible owner or owned a boat this is probably the product I'd choose.

Their MSDS states:
"Repels dust, soiling & staining. Protects against UV and ozone deterioration. Use on vinyl & leather interiors, vinyl convertible tops, boats seats, clear vinyl & LexanTM windows, spa & pool covers, inflatable boats, canoes, kayaks, car bras, tonneau covers, door and trunk seals, tires, fenders flares, bumpers, trim, lenses, motorcycles, bicycles, ATV ́s, personal watercraft, snow mobiles, wetsuits, diving equipment, latex rubber, plastic furniture. Not for textiles, unfinished leathers or floors."

The product claims to be water soluble and likely is a water-based fluorocarbon polymer similar to Leather Masters Protection Cream. It has a rather pungent odor immediately upon use that dissipates fairly quickly. It is a milky white product so there are some solids in suspension that may build up in some cases depending on the surface texture being treated.
Old 07-06-18, 01:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
Most people don't use 303 for the leather, it is for the rest of the car interior. It is very good stuff, has UV protectant, and is not greasy or shiny. I used it on my GS interior plastics since buying it and the interior looked practically new until it was totaled. I don't see any harm using 303 for leather in cars, conditioners are pretty useless for most automotive leathers because most have a polyurethane coating that does not let any of the conditioner penetrate to the leather. Semi analine car leathers are better suited for conditioners.
See, I just don't like the way it looks on interior materials. To me it is glossy and shiny...I hate the smell too...
Old 07-06-18, 03:22 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

See, I just don't like the way it looks on interior materials. To me it is glossy and shiny...I hate the smell too...
I don't like the smell much either so I stopped using it on interior bits. I've been using this I like it, but it is quite shiny. For a low gloss product I haven't found one I really like. BTW 303 doesn't make all interiors shiny I have a car where I changed the interior colour (SEM Classic Coat) on that it doesn't make the surface shiny. So some cars may not have that issue.
Old 07-06-18, 03:36 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

If you don't use a lot and spread it, it is not bad, normally any mild gloss/shine just fades in a day or two. If you use a lot or put 2 or 3 heavier coats then it will be shiny for longer which is why I use less when I use it. Much much better then armoral or turtle wax crap that is greasy no matter how little you put on and has that terrible cheap look/smell.
Old 07-06-18, 03:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Personally I don't see the need to use any sort of dressing on the interior...
Old 07-06-18, 03:39 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

UV protection, especially on darker interiors. Blue shades are the worst for UV damage I've seen interior pieces turning to powder.

Quick Reply: All about Lexus leather