Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

All about Lexus leather

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-15, 05:57 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I would recommend searching my posts on leather care in this forum for in-depth instructions on how to care for your leather. I'd start by cleaning with Leather Master Strong Leather Cleaner. To prevent future dye transfer, I use a fluorocarbon protector, Leather Masters Protection Cream.

IME, leather conditioners do not prevent dye transfer.
Hello! To others as well as the leather master himself,

have you heard of or tried using Opticoat?

http://opti-coat.net/content/53/opti...r_coating.html

It's supposed to apply a film over the leather and protect it that way. How does this affect the heated leather seats? And would it degrade the quality?
Old 12-31-15, 11:04 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Opti-Guard is the product you are referring to.. Opti-Coat is for paint.

Opti-Guard is one of several options for a leather coating that will help to provide protection. It is not bullet proof, it is not maintenance free, but it will help make maintenance easier and resist staining longer than more traditional fabric protectants. It will not degrade the look or feel of the leather when applied properly.
Old 01-04-16, 04:47 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Opti-Guard is the product you are referring to.. Opti-Coat is for paint.

Opti-Guard is one of several options for a leather coating that will help to provide protection. It is not bullet proof, it is not maintenance free, but it will help make maintenance easier and resist staining longer than more traditional fabric protectants. It will not degrade the look or feel of the leather when applied properly.
ah got it! Optiguard. Planning on getting a coat for the nulux to be safe.
Old 01-26-16, 11:46 AM
spw11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the same coated leathers used on the dash... Door panels..etc.?

What products are best to use on interior surfaces BESIDES the seats?
Old 01-26-16, 01:14 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by spw11
Are the same coated leathers used on the dash... Door panels..etc.?

What products are best to use on interior surfaces BESIDES the seats?
Aside from the leather seats, most everything is either vinyl or plastic. I use Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer for everything on the interior including LCD displays and gauges. It does have UV protection and yet leaves no gloss.

If I need a more aggressive cleaner (i.e. on door sills) I use Meguiar's M39 Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner. For the rubber trim I use Meguiar's M40 Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner/conditioner.

These last two are my old school products that have been around for years but I like the way they work and smell so I am not looking to explore replacements.
Old 01-26-16, 01:20 PM
spw11
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much Jim. I've been filling an Amazon cart with your suggestions. I really appreciate the time you've taken to educate here.
Old 02-06-16, 10:00 PM
AShamsi
Driver School Candidate

Hi Guys i recently joined CL and I've recently bought a 2011 LS 460 SWB with a black interior and a 2008 Toyota Avalon Ivory interior, what is the best product to use on the LS's black interior, setting aside the Avalon ill follow that up with the LS cleaning product (a few recommends wouldn't hurt), but The LS's interior Leather is pretty shiny and i want that matte fresh feel.

Thanks for the replies in advance!
Old 02-07-16, 03:45 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just got some Aerspace 303 and applied everywhere inside, seats, dash, trim.

Can't really comment how it will work as it's the first time I'm using it, but it is better than other protectants from a greasy, slippery and glossy-finish perspective. So far so good.

Also used it on some exterior plastic and rubber trim and the engine bay cover, but got it primarily to protect the leather seats from UV breakdown.
Old 02-07-16, 06:19 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by AShamsi
Hi Guys i recently joined CL and I've recently bought a 2011 LS 460 SWB with a black interior and a 2008 Toyota Avalon Ivory interior, what is the best product to use on the LS's black interior, setting aside the Avalon ill follow that up with the LS cleaning product (a few recommends wouldn't hurt), but The LS's interior Leather is pretty shiny and i want that matte fresh feel.

Thanks for the replies in advance!
Welcome to CL.

I've done several posts in the Automotive Care & Detailing forum in the thread "All about Lexus Leather" thread that should get you on the right track.

The single most important thing you can do for automotive leather to insure a long life and good looks is to keep it clean. This entails a regular vacuum and periodic deep cleaning along with a wipe down with a wrung out cotton towel every week or two to maintain the proper hydration and hence the original softness.

If you want to return the leather to it's natural appearance, I'd recommend a deep cleaning every 2-3 months. I personally use Leather Masters Strong Leather Cleaner mixed 50/50 with hot water but Original Woolite mixed 1 part to /10 parts hot water also works well. Read my posts for the detailed process.

If you want to protect your leather and maintain the original patina, I'd suggest using Leather Masters Protection Cream and skip the conditioners. This LM protection cream is one of the few leather products that can actually prevent dye transfer stains from jeans and belts.

Again, welcome to the forum.
Old 02-07-16, 02:16 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Anyone try Connolly leather cleaner and conditioner on Lexus leather?

I haven't been around the forums or your typical detailing websites in a while, but don't ever remember this product? Now I see it on Autogeek with alot of good reviews.

Curious if the cleaner and conditioner is good? How do the seats feel after the conditioner is applied?

I've always used the Leatherique twins before and love those products.
Old 02-10-16, 09:36 PM
veez81
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Is the 2015 GS350 Nuluxe leather or real leather? Is Leather Master the preferred way to care for it?
Old 02-11-16, 05:55 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by jvm0685
Is the 2015 GS350 Nuluxe leather or real leather? Is Leather Master the preferred way to care for it?
It is available with either. The NuLuxe is standard and real leather is an option I believe.

Leather Master's Cleaners will work well with either as will the Leather Masters Protection Cream.
Old 02-11-16, 07:17 PM
pampas
Driver School Candidate

Default leather

I have a 2013 es 350 touring package and I don't know if my seats are leather or synthetic leather
Old 02-12-16, 06:13 AM
jfelbab

Whether it is real leather or NuLuxe (faux leather), it should be treated the same. Regular cleaning and apply a fluorocarbon protector to prevent dye transfer. The only basic treatment difference is that NuLuxe does not need regular hydration to keep it soft and to minimize creasing and cracking. NuLuxe is new so we don't know how it will hold up over time but I suspect it will do better than real leather.
Old 02-12-16, 05:43 PM
veez81
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
It is available with either. The NuLuxe is standard and real leather is an option I believe.

Leather Master's Cleaners will work well with either as will the Leather Masters Protection Cream.
just ordered both per your recommendations! thank you for all your help!

in between deep cleaning and use of the masters protection cream, would you recommend using 303 on the seats as well?

Quick Reply: All about Lexus leather