Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

All about Lexus leather

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-15, 03:39 PM
SebaPR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
The LM Protector doesn't prevent cracking. Cracking is caused by improper hydration, temperature variability and stretching. Leather that is allowed to dry out, shrinks, turns hard and is then prone to cracking. Leather swells when hydrated and shrinks when it dries. When properly hydrated,the leather fibers plump up and the leather feels soft and supple. When dry, the fibers shrink and the leather is hard and unyielding.

Automotive leather is subject to extreme temperatures, easily reaching 160°F on a hot summer day in the sun to as low as -20° or -30°F in the coldest winter in some areas. Leather swells when it is heated and shrinks and hardens when it is cold, making it prone to cracking. The temperature also plays with the hydration levels of the leather.

Leather also undergoes stretching and creasing from body weight applied while sitting on it.

To minimize creasing and cracking, keep your leather properly hydrated. This will reduce the shrinking/swelling cycles. I'm often asked, "Since our leather is coated with a urethane paint to prevent it from absorbing stains and spills, how do I keep it properly hydrated?"

Coated leather absorbs moisture through a process of transpiration. When you wipe down the leather with a wrung out towel, the water film left on the leather surface raises the relative humidity around the leather and this is absorbed by the leather at a molecular level.

The best approach to take in keeping your leather looking good for as long as possible is to weekly vacuum and wipe it down with a wrung out towel. Every few months, do a careful deep cleaning with a leather detergent like LM Leather Cleaner or diluted Woolite (20 parts water to 1 part Woolite). Follow the cleaning with a wrung out towel wipedown to remove all traces of detergent and let dry. When dry, apply a water-based fluorocarbon protector to prevent dye transfer stains and to minimize wear of the topcoat. (I use LM Protection Cream)

Where possible minimize the leathers exposure to extreme temperature variations. Use a sunshade and/or park in a covered garage on the hottest summer days and keep your car in a garage at night during the coldest winter evenings.

Properly cared for, your leather should last 20-30 years, albeit, not without developing some character creases but no cracks should be evident.
This seems helpful but just to make sure i have a 2006 is250 with black leather ventilated seats the seats specially the drivers seat is kind of hard on the sides where the leather is not perforated and seem to be developing "creases" but no cracks just this sort of stress lines on the hard leather. I tried some turtle wax leather conditioner with aloe that is a soft leather cleaner but since its sealed that didn't do anything for the sides i think it made the perforated area a bit softer/hydrated but not much.

From what i read i should dilute the woolite (regular clothes detergent right?) 1 part in 20 parts water clean the leather up and the wipe it down with a humid towel (thats what wrung out means right?).

This should be done in a shady place right? or is the heat better to make the leather expand and absorb more hydration?

I really want to hydrate my interiors since i live in apartment and have no garage and apparently previous owner never did conditioning but seats have barely any scratches or breaks and don't need any repairs so if I can get them to their original soft and clean state they will be nearly flawless.

Thanks!

Last edited by SebaPR; 09-05-15 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-06-15, 04:16 PM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

I prefer the Leather Masters Strong Leather Cleaner. I mix it 50/50 with moderately hot water. I also use the Leather Master Protection Cream after cleaning. I clean and protect 3-4 times a year based on soiling. For weekly maintenance, I vacuum and then use a wrung out cotton towel to wipe down and hydrate the leather. Occasionally, I use Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer in place of the water wipe-down. It has cleaning agents and UV protection. It is also a good cleaner for vinyl, gauges and Navigation screens.
Jfelbab, used your earlier advice on woolite. Went to wally world, there were 4 choices, 3 of them in mega ounces size, so i picked the smallest one. Mixed it 1 to 6 hot water it in a spray bottle. I was amazed with the results. Have tried other products, but this worked best so far on my lexus seats. I have placed an order for Leather Masters protection cream to finish the job.
Attached Thumbnails All about Lexus leather-woolite.jpg  
Old 11-06-15, 04:25 PM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

I prefer the Leather Masters Strong Leather Cleaner. I mix it 50/50 with moderately hot water. I also use the Leather Master Protection Cream after cleaning. I clean and protect 3-4 times a year based on soiling. For weekly maintenance, I vacuum and then use a wrung out cotton towel to wipe down and hydrate the leather. Occasionally, I use Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer in place of the water wipe-down. It has cleaning agents and UV protection. It is also a good cleaner for vinyl, gauges and Navigation screens.
I understand the importance of weekly vacuum. When I was cleaning the seats, the woolite was lifting the dirt and you could feel the grit when I was wiping it clean
Old 11-06-15, 05:53 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SebaPR
This seems helpful but just to make sure i have a 2006 is250 with black leather ventilated seats the seats specially the drivers seat is kind of hard on the sides where the leather is not perforated and seem to be developing "creases" but no cracks just this sort of stress lines on the hard leather. I tried some turtle wax leather conditioner with aloe that is a soft leather cleaner but since its sealed that didn't do anything for the sides i think it made the perforated area a bit softer/hydrated but not much.

From what i read i should dilute the woolite (regular clothes detergent right?) 1 part in 20 parts water clean the leather up and the wipe it down with a humid towel (thats what wrung out means right?).

This should be done in a shady place right? or is the heat better to make the leather expand and absorb more hydration?

I really want to hydrate my interiors since i live in apartment and have no garage and apparently previous owner never did conditioning but seats have barely any scratches or breaks and don't need any repairs so if I can get them to their original soft and clean state they will be nearly flawless.

Thanks!
You can clean the leather in either the sun or the shade. In any case you don't want to let the detergent mix dry on the leather and when you wipe it up, you want to go over the leather with a clean, wrung out cotton towel to remove all traces of the detergent.

To keep your leather properly hydrated you can wipe the leather down with a wrung out towel every week. You don't want to over wet the leather as mold could form but the film of water left by a wrung out towel should be enough to keep the leather plump and soft.
Old 12-12-15, 10:47 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Lots of reading on this thread. So where can you get the clear coat to reclear the leather?
Old 12-13-15, 06:07 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by dicer
Lots of reading on this thread. So where can you get the clear coat to reclear the leather?
http://leathercoatings.com/clear.htm
Old 12-25-15, 09:22 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Clarification

Just making sure. For the new Lexus vehicles with the Nulux leather, one user suggested using only 303 protectant because they cover the leather blend with plastic, so using Leather master is not needed.

Is this correct? Is this all I must do to maintain and keep this type of leather in pristine condition?

I've heard of 3M leather protector but I am not sure what that is.

I know with REAL leather seats, it is recommended to use woolite as well as a damp cloth for hydration and use the Leather Master.

However, the NEW lexus vehicles now contain that Nulux leather. Is it true that only 303 protectant is needed?

Don't want to ruin my seats!
Old 12-26-15, 10:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Nuluxe is not leather, it's a fully synthetic product.
Old 12-27-15, 06:23 AM
jfelbab

Nuluxe is an engineered faux leather. It is designed to feel, look and act like real leather. Like real leather, this material must be kept clean and a mild detergent cleaner like diluted Woolite or Leather Masters cleaner is appropriate. This material is still open to dye transfer staining just like real leather so the use of a fluorocarbon protector like LM protection cream is a good idea. 303 is a good choice for preventing sun fade and premature aging but it does not prevent dye transfer staining. Conditioners are not useful. Nuluxe will not pick up moisture like real leather so hydration is no longer required to maintain the softness. Time will tell just how good this material is. It looks great and is easier to care for than real leather.

One more point. Even of you have opted for real leather in your vehicle it is not all leather. Typically, only the seating and contact facing areas are real leather and the rest is synthetic.

Last edited by jfelbab; 12-27-15 at 06:27 AM.
Old 12-27-15, 11:00 AM
usnftc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is Leather Master "Car Interior Leather Protection Cream" the same as the "Leather Protection Cream"?
Old 12-27-15, 12:38 PM
jfelbab

Leather Master's product listing does not show that name. Do you have a link to it? I buy the Leather Master Protection Cream in the 1 liter bottles. Here is an image of the product. FWIW, I also buy the LM Strong Leather Cleaner by the liter and I dilute it 50/50 with hot water for my cleaning needs.

This same pair works great on furniture leather as well and I have a lot of leather furnishings so this is the most economical size for my needs.

Last edited by jfelbab; 12-27-15 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-27-15, 07:33 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Nuluxe is an engineered faux leather. It is designed to feel, look and act like real leather. Like real leather, this material must be kept clean and a mild detergent cleaner like diluted Woolite or Leather Masters cleaner is appropriate. This material is still open to dye transfer staining just like real leather so the use of a fluorocarbon protector like LM protection cream is a good idea. 303 is a good choice for preventing sun fade and premature aging but it does not prevent dye transfer staining. Conditioners are not useful. Nuluxe will not pick up moisture like real leather so hydration is no longer required to maintain the softness. Time will tell just how good this material is. It looks great and is easier to care for than real leather.

One more point. Even of you have opted for real leather in your vehicle it is not all leather. Typically, only the seating and contact facing areas are real leather and the rest is synthetic.
spoken from the master himself! thank you!!

Here is the link I will buy for the LM:
Amazon.com: Leather Masters 250 ml Leather Protection Cream: Health & Personal Care Amazon.com: Leather Masters 250 ml Leather Protection Cream: Health & Personal Care
Old 12-30-15, 09:44 AM
nelson143
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2015 RCF with Red Leather Interior...I've noticed that possibly my clothes are rubbing off on the leather. Maybe the jeans, any recommendations on how to clean them? And any suggestions on the type and brand of leather conditioner? Thanks.
Old 12-30-15, 10:10 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by nelson143
I have a 2015 RCF with Red Leather Interior...I've noticed that possibly my clothes are rubbing off on the leather. Maybe the jeans, any recommendations on how to clean them? And any suggestions on the type and brand of leather conditioner? Thanks.
I would recommend searching my posts on leather care in this forum for in-depth instructions on how to care for your leather. I'd start by cleaning with Leather Master Strong Leather Cleaner. To prevent future dye transfer, I use a fluorocarbon protector, Leather Masters Protection Cream.

IME, leather conditioners do not prevent dye transfer.
Old 12-30-15, 10:12 AM
nelson143
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you so much Jim!

Quick Reply: All about Lexus leather