ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Care & Detailing (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing-122/)
-   -   All about Lexus leather (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing/115497-all-about-lexus-leather.html)

jfelbab 10-13-09 09:01 AM

I'd try using Leather Master Strong Leather Cleaner. Apply with a foam applicator pad and agitate the area. Let the foam dwell for a minute or two then wipe with a white cotton towel. You might need to repeat the process a few times. the stain from the belt may also have penetrated the urethane so deeply that removal is not possible. This is why it is important to use a protectant on your leather. A protectant would prevent the oils in your belt from transferring to the urethane. I use Leather Masters Protection Cream to avoid these types of dye transfers. You might also consider wearing a different belt.

MoeMistry 10-13-09 09:51 AM

In my experience, Lexus leather is one of a few leathers that this type of dye-to-dye transfer happens. I don't see it on any other makes. Things like the dye from your jeans, suit, etc. transfer on the leather in a Lexus. I'm curious as to the process that other manufacturers do that prevents this. Anyone know?

jfelbab 10-13-09 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by MoeMistry (Post 4922240)
In my experience, Lexus leather is one of a few leathers that this type of dye-to-dye transfer happens. I don't see it on any other makes. Things like the dye from your jeans, suit, etc. transfer on the leather in a Lexus. I'm curious as to the process that other manufacturers do that prevents this. Anyone know?

I've come across it on GM, Toyota, Honda, Ford and Nissan. Actually most of the leather in autos comes from a very few manufacturers. Take a peek at GST Autoleather for example. http://www.gstautoleather.com/automo...r_showroom.asp

They supply the leather for many of the major nameplates. The dye transfer happens on them all.

DaveJ 10-14-09 06:03 AM

I had that happen several years ago on on RX300. My wife's new black leather jacket bled into the seat cushion. I never did get the stain out entirely.

You might want to try Leatherique's rejuvenating oil and Pristine Clean. I'm a big fan of the stuff and have been using it for several years. They're also pretty good to talk so just give them a call and ask for their advice.
http://www.leatherique.com/

nisenku 10-16-09 10:01 AM

Thanks guys! I will work on it this weekend and take some pics and see how it comes out.

Jim,
As for a different belt...You may be right. My black belt doesn't do it just the brown one..Huh?!? Weird...

Blueshark 12-28-09 08:43 PM

I'm in the process of cleaning the leather in my new car used car and it is winter here, i will place it in a warm area, but should i use a blow dryer to warm up the leather before cleaning the seats and conditionning it ? or it work as good on cold seats.

Blueshark 01-05-10 06:09 PM

After deep cleaning the leather and conditioning it, what do you recommend to protect the leather from stains and UV and uplifting the black color of it ?

Amskeptic 01-21-10 12:03 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I strongly recommend reconditioning the leather with Leatherique® . This is an 18 year-old original interior.
Attachment 437669

It is an organic witch's brew with eye of newt and frog spit or something, but it really does work. You can tell, because you can feel its effects on your hands, it plumps up your own skin cells. And that's the thing with leather. Any petroleum or silicone based substance is not going to actually help the dermatology of your dead cow draped all inside your Lexus, at least the earlier ones that haven't been sealed away under urethanes.
Attachment 437670

First you apply with your hands and fingers, the Rejuvenator Oil that penetrates the dye and the leather itself. Close the car up and park it in the sun. This sauce will find the pores and it "sweats out" the dirt.
Attachment 437671

Then you immerse a fresh terrycloth hand towel with the Prestine Clean, and wipe down all the treated leather. This juice cuts through the oils and picks up the filth that you just can't believe came out of what you thought was perfectly clean looking leather. Buff with a dry cloth, no sticky, no shiny, no stinky.
Colin
Attachment 437672

Neil4Speed 02-08-10 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Amskeptic (Post 5158176)
I strongly recommend reconditioning the leather with Leatherique® . This is an 18 year-old original interior.
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...rior401-10.jpg....
[/IMG]

wonderful detailing Job! You have me convinced for sure, this summer the SC is getting Leatherique treatment.

You even got the "vacuum lines"! :thumbup:

chippern73 02-26-10 03:47 PM

Problem with hard Leather

1 Attachment(s)
I have a '93 LS400 with chocolate brown leather interior. Lucky for me, there is only one little issue with the leather: the passenger side seat has hard feeling leather, almost feels like vinyl. If I use the Leatherique® will this help soften it? Or is it too far damaged at this point? Sadly due to a cramped garage, I leave the car outdoors about 60% of the time.

I have attached a copy of Neil4Speed's photo with added arrows showing the areas I am talking about (hopefully Neil4Speed doesn't mind). The center part of the seat is okay.

The back seat and the driver seats are okay.

JhonSmith 03-25-10 11:21 PM

Excellent detailing job. It is an organic witch's brew with eye of newt and frog spit or something like that.

Fog Light

mxis350 03-26-10 07:57 AM

hey i have the same problem as Chippern73.

I have used LEXOL cleaner and conditioner. But the cleaner hardly cleans and the conditioner has made my leather feel like vinyl.. My leather is also starting to crack in one area.
I have no garage and the NM sun just burns even if its not hot.

Please guys help me out. Please tell me what to do and a link to what to buy.

MoeMistry 03-26-10 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by mxis350 (Post 5347127)
hey i have the same problem as Chippern73.

I have used LEXOL cleaner and conditioner. But the cleaner hardly cleans and the conditioner has made my leather feel like vinyl.. My leather is also starting to crack in one area.
I have no garage and the NM sun just burns even if its not hot.

Please guys help me out. Please tell me what to do and a link to what to buy.

Real simple...as you saw, Leatherique can do wonders for both new and old leather.

Here's a link to our site:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...que/Categories

Blanco 03-27-10 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by chippern73 (Post 5265493)
I have a '93 LS400 with chocolate brown leather interior. Lucky for me, there is only one little issue with the leather: the passenger side seat has hard feeling leather, almost feels like vinyl. If I use the Leatherique® will this help soften it? Or is it too far damaged at this point? Sadly due to a cramped garage, I leave the car outdoors about 60% of the time.

I have attached a copy of Neil4Speed's photo with added arrows showing the areas I am talking about (hopefully Neil4Speed doesn't mind). The center part of the seat is okay.

The back seat and the driver seats are okay.

The leatherique instructions actually say that if you have "cardboard" hard leather that more than one treatment might be necessary, but that it will soften.

"Step 1. Vacuum the surface of the upholstered piece or interior well or use a soft brush to remove large particles of dirt, paying particular attention to seams, folds, and cracks.

Step 2. Apply the Rejuvenator Oil liberally (about 4 oz. per seat) with your hands; massaging the oil well into all the surfaces and natural folds of the leather, this puts natural ingredients, not harsh cleaner, back into the leather and forces out dirt. You may also use a soft sea sponge, or a soft paint type brush. One of our Rolls Royce friends, Chuck Hull of Simi Valley, California suggests a spray bottle, which can be purchased at the local home center. Also apply the Rejuvenator Oil liberally nearer the stitched areas as the conditioner will be able to migrate laterally well into the hide. Park the car in the sun with the windows rolled up to create a “steam room” for as long as practical, several hours or a day. In cooler weather, or for long-term storage in a garage, cover the seats with plastic wrap, and “warm” with a hair dryer. Or one of our Ferrari friends, Paul Hammer, suggests covering seats with large plastic garbage bags to be able to sit in the car and move it if necessary. (Allow the oil to be absorbed into the fibrous side of the leather before putting the top down in a convertible.) Direct sun is the worst enemy of any automobile interior or home upholstery. Do not place home or office leather upholstery in direct sun. For “cardboard hard” leather, several applications will be necessary. Patience will be rewarded with good results.

Step 3. After the ph correct proteins and collagens from the Rejuvenator Oil have permeated back into the pours and fibers of the leather, strengthening and nourishing them, the surface may be tacky, sticky, gritty, or have a white haze. This is simply the dirt, grime, air pollution, perspiration, salts and other toxins that have floated out of the leather to the surface. Apply Prestine Clean by putting it in a Spray Bottle then wipe off with a SOFT lint free cloth. For tough dirt or vinyl or vinyl tops, brush the cleaner into the grain of the leather or vinyl with a soft bath brush or toothbrush. Let stand for a few minutes, usually by the time you are done with the next piece, and wipe the surface with a soft, damp cloth Rinse the soft cloth in warm clean water, ring dry, wipe again. Then, after all the dirt has been removed, gently buff to a luxurious finish with a clean, dry, soft cloth. Your car or upholstered leather piece will appreciate the “face lift” and will have the new leather smell restored. Prestine Clean will not remove the conditioner permeated into the leather. This process may be used on MB Tex vinyl areas to soften and condition. Even flexibility on rubber window trim can be maintained with Prestine Clean."

I'm actually in the middle of doing my wife's 4runner today. The oil's got several more hours to sit before I get after it with the PC. I can't wait!!:bigok:

chippern73 03-27-10 10:19 PM

Leather Seats Restored

Thanks Blanco. I'll try out Leatherique® and if necessary do two or three treatments.

Then once I get it back to where I feel it should be, I'll keep the leather treated. What do you suggest as a monthly treatment? I heard that Hide Care (use to be called Hide Food) is a good product. :woot:

chip