Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Black onyx & non-clearcoat database info needed from all

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-04, 05:06 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Black onyx & non-clearcoat database info needed from all (update)

This thread; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=25419

has prompted me to start a database on which years and models had single stage paint, and which did not. The answers we have all gotten from lexus dealers and bodyshops has been sometimes contradictive. I ask all of you with any model & year Lexus with ORIGINAL black paint that is willing to do the "test" ( see below on how) to post back here so we can complete this database for future reference.

THE TEST ; If you already know whether your year and model black onyx is base/clear or single stage, please post it. If you DO NOT KNOW, try this;

Use any cleaner wax product (Turtle Wax, NuFinish, Meguiar's Cleaner wax etc. or ANY swirl remover polish) with a WHITE cotton towel or cloth, and rub a little into your paint with light to medium pressure, do a few swipes like that in a small area. If the white cloth shows the color of your paint afterwords, you have SINGLE STAGE paint. If your cloth just shows some dirt but NO paint color, you have CLEARCOAT paint.

Those of you with red paint may want to also chime in, so we can notate that too.

EXAMPLE; A simple reply of " My car is a 1999 SC400 with original paint, black, it does not have clearcoat " will work. I will compile a list. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Guitarman; 03-14-04 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-08-04, 04:55 AM
1ton
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2002 SC430 (black onyx) and used the 3M Swirl Mark Remover before using any of the Zaino products. The Swirl Mark Remover was dark gray in color. After using Dawn on my car, I took a white towel and used the swirl mark remover. The towel turned dark gray...which is the color of the swirl mark remover. I did not notice it getting any darker. I do not believe any of the black from my car came off but it is difficult to tell.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-08-04, 05:44 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

1995 sc 400(black onyx) does have clearcoat .
Old 01-08-04, 06:05 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

My previous 1996 ES300 (Black Onyx) has the single-stage paint.

My current 2001 ES300 (Black Onyx) also has the single-stage paint.

The 3M Swirl Mark Remover and Meguiar's Carnuaba(sp?) Wax tests proved the basis of the paint.
Old 01-08-04, 06:11 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure if my previous owner repainted or not but my 93 sc400 black has clearcoat.
Old 01-08-04, 08:22 AM
Guitarman

Thanks to everyone so far for getting the ball rolling here. I will notate everything in a MS word document and when I get a fair amout of data, I'll post it sticky. It may take quite some time to get a complete model/year database, but it should finally put to rest which cars got what. Keep it comin'

Last edited by Guitarman; 01-08-04 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-08-04, 10:20 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

1999 Black Onyx GS400--original paint. No clearcoat (been waxing my car quite a bit, and the applicator pads are quite dark now after a few uses).
Old 01-12-04, 01:01 PM
aznxguy714
Pole Position

well according to 2 service managers at the lexus of westminster this is what one replied me with on the question of clear coat or not ::::In response to your question about about your car the answer is yes. As oneof the last processes at the factory your car was clearcoated. Thanks for contacting
Lexus of Westminster. well another manager responded with just a yes that black onyx is clear coated. i'm still waiting for a response from tustin lexus. so if these service managers are correct than my 2003 black gs is clearcoated
Old 01-12-04, 05:44 PM
ripe911
Pole Position

2000 Black Gs400

Turtle wax - No paint on towel
Maguires Paint cleaner - No paint on Towel
Maguires Polish- No paint on Towel
Mothers Caranuba wax - No paint on Towel
Mothers Claybar- No paint on bar

Conclusion - Must have clearcoat
Old 01-13-04, 12:26 AM
Dai Ca GQ
Driver

I have a 1998 GS400 black onyx and I used the Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover and the paint got on my towel. Kinda freaked me out a little but in conclusion: No Clearcoat
Old 01-13-04, 12:50 AM
aznxguy714
Pole Position

i'm assuming my black gs300 does have a clear coat. i have used various waxes and polish and have not seen any paint on the terry towels that i use. so i'm assuming it is but just wanted to see what other people have experienced that own a black colored car. like i mentioned in a previous thread. i'm just not for sure because i seen peeps saying that they have seen paint on their towels and peeps saying they haven't. just trying out weather they started clearcoating black after a certain year or wat. from ripe911 his results were that he had no paint residue on his towels and his conclusion was must be clear coated. i read somewhere that someone had posted that after 1999 they started clearcoating black. wonder if this is true?????????/ oh well my conclusion is my car is clearcoated. never seen paint residue on my towels using different waxes and polish.
Old 01-13-04, 04:44 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Great thread Guitar, I have been wondering this for a while now! I think single stage is a better way to put it, because it still has clearcoat, its just mixed directly into the paint!! (that is the way I understand it)

Imagine if those black cars had NO clear coat
Old 01-13-04, 07:37 AM
Guitarman

Keep it coming fellas.

Initial observations seem to indicate the year 2000 is when the change to clearcoat occurred, at least for the GS300/400 models.There is at least one person so far with a single stage 1999, and if we happen to see a few '99's with clear, it's possible that there was a running change mid year through 1999. But it's too soon to put results up, and we'll need as much feedback from others with black Lexus' as we can get.
Old 01-14-04, 01:46 PM
aznxguy714
Pole Position

well i just got 2 more responses about clearcoat and they said Yes your car is clear coated and our service department uses Mcguires gold series coating.and i got longo lexus service managers responding with yes the car is clearcoated. so 3 dealerships telling me my 03 black gs300 is clearcoated
Old 01-20-04, 01:40 PM
MickeyLex
Rookie

Default Yes clearcoat

2000 GS 300 - Original paint, Black, Yes clearcoat

Quick Reply: Black onyx & non-clearcoat database info needed from all