RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lexys RX real wood?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-14, 10:43 AM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
In the winter at the crazy cold temps -15C and colder, it's firmer and on the side of being a touch "bumpy" on rough roads but that's also due to the tires being harder... Above freezing temps, it's "perfect" - firm over rough roads but still smooth over less rough and flat roads. But this is all relative.

What car do you have I can help give a comparison...
I have a '11 Lexus RX350 with Ultra Premium 1 Package.
Old 02-16-14, 12:24 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

For more videos on how Lexus vehicles are made and the attention to detail, check out their advertising videos from a few years back, all titled "The Hard Way"

Im sure some of it is advertising bologna but its still interesting to watch.

There are more you can find on youtube

Last edited by RXSF; 02-16-14 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-16-14, 04:39 PM
PeteInGilr
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the "Engine Scrutiny" video. Never knew Lexus was that meticulous.
Old 02-16-14, 06:50 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by dat dude
I have a '11 Lexus RX350 with Ultra Premium 1 Package.
Ah, easy then for you to relate. You have the 19" wheels and should be with Michelin Latitudes like on the F-Sport. So driving on a straight line over bumps, if you were to put your tires down to 30 psi, that's your RX, now bump the tires to 40 psi on your car, that's about the F-Sport in comfort for the initial impact over the bump. I say "initial" because after that, your springs/shocks are a little softer than the F-Sport, but teh above gives you an idea in the firmer nature of the F-Sport.

Originally Posted by PeteInGilr
I like the "Engine Scrutiny" video. Never knew Lexus was that meticulous.
Now you know and why Lexus is in another league of its own in the car industry when it comes to dependability.
Old 02-16-14, 07:31 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

The question is whether or not other car makers do the same things that are shown here.
Old 02-17-14, 06:21 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

If you saw the NASCAR race at Daytona it looks like Chevy may need some Lexus engineering help as their pace car started of fire. Didn't make me want to run right out and buy a Chevy.

Impressive attention to detail in those videos.
Old 02-17-14, 07:31 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
If you saw the NASCAR race at Daytona it looks like Chevy may need some Lexus engineering help as their pace car started of fire. Didn't make me want to run right out and buy a Chevy.

Impressive attention to detail in those videos.
Jim; you could be a little more professional about that statement; it is a 99% chance it was in the wiring hurriedly done for strobe lights, flashing lights on top and radio equipment installed!! Not Chevy's fault!
Old 02-17-14, 08:56 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by dctex99
Jim; you could be a little more professional about that statement; it is a 99% chance it was in the wiring hurriedly done for strobe lights, flashing lights on top and radio equipment installed!! Not Chevy's fault!
I suspect the cause will ultimately point to something like that. Sadly, this is right on the heels of a Feb 13th., ¾ million car recall announcement and adds to a perception that sticks in the mind of the viewers.

I've owned 14 new GM cars, 9 of which were Chevys and while I clearly like Chevys, I immediately thought that this is about the worst possible marketing for them. There is no doubt, Chevy's management team is not pleased with the imagery of their pace care going up in flames and I hope that they are not considering cutting their support for NASCAR over this. If I was putting a pace car in the show I think I'd have someone overseeing the installation of this equipment or my own people would be performing the installation. Images like this don't help to sell cars. Probably less than 10% of the viewers will ever know the cause but they will remember seeing the car on fire.

Sorry you found my comment unprofessional.
Old 02-17-14, 09:18 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I suspect the cause will ultimately point to something like that. Sadly, this is right on the heels of a Feb 13th., ¾ million car recall announcement and adds to a perception that sticks in the mind of the viewers.

I've owned 14 new GM cars, 9 of which were Chevys and while I clearly like Chevys, I immediately thought that this is about the worst possible marketing for them. There is no doubt, Chevy's management team is not pleased with the imagery of their pace care going up in flames and I hope that they are not considering cutting their support for NASCAR over this. If I was putting a pace car in the show I think I'd have someone overseeing the installation of this equipment or my own people would be performing the installation. Images like this don't help to sell cars. Probably less than 10% of the viewers will ever know the cause but they will remember seeing the car on fire.

Sorry you found my comment unprofessional.
Part of GM's statement made this morning..
The pace car experienced a fire in the trunk area, which contains a purpose-built auxiliary electrical kit to operate the numerous caution lights during the race,” the statement read. “The pace car driver and passenger safely exited the vehicle. An assessment is underway.”

Remind me how perfect our MUCH more expensive Lexus' are when I take it in for the recall, along with my sister taking in her Prius and my cousin her RAV$!!
GM is doing fine!
Old 02-17-14, 12:57 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Really? My mom's new Chevy truck had a higher MSRP than my RX. This isn't about vehicle cost or brand, it is about public perception and a car catching fire in such a public fashion is going to result in a negative perception. Some people will dig for press releases to see if there was an explanation, but I suspect more people will simply draw their own conclusions.

I think the JD power and consumer report surveys are a better guideline on vehicle reliability than an isolated incident at a racetrack anyway. It is clear this touched a nerve but there was probably a collective chuckle on many forums except for Chevrolet, just as would be the case if a Lexus vehicle caught fire at a racetrack. Surely you must know Chevy forums would get a good laugh at that.

I can't recall a family dinner that the Ford guys weren't razzing the Chevy guys or vice-versa. Let's not dance on eggshells here for fear of offending another brand. Please feel free to trash-talk Lexus, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Dodge or Ford on the GM forums.

Doug
Old 02-17-14, 01:52 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Ah, easy then for you to relate. You have the 19" wheels and should be with Michelin Latitudes like on the F-Sport. So driving on a straight line over bumps, if you were to put your tires down to 30 psi, that's your RX, now bump the tires to 40 psi on your car, that's about the F-Sport in comfort for the initial impact over the bump. I say "initial" because after that, your springs/shocks are a little softer than the F-Sport, but teh above gives you an idea in the firmer nature of the F-Sport.

Now you know and why Lexus is in another league of its own in the car industry when it comes to dependability.
I appreciate your response Corrado, but I feel that my Lexus might have something wrong. It just jumps way to much, especially on the Gardiner Expressway which is riddled with potholes. My dads old first gen Lexus never jumped like this does.
Old 02-17-14, 04:34 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^ The only way to truly know if there's a problem is the next time you take it in for servicing, ask them for feedback on the ride after they do their mandatory test drive.

BUT, so you're aware, the 3rd gen RX is firmer than the 1st and 2nd gen since they moved to a double-wishbone suspension at the rear which basically has less travel than the old strut version (it's why the wheel wells protrude far less into the trunk in Gen 3).