RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lexys RX real wood?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-14, 09:20 AM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexys RX real wood?

I've been told by a source that the Lexus RX's that feature a wood steering wheel have real wood, while the wood trim on the center console etc is "fake". Can anyone confirm this?
Old 02-15-14, 11:14 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

wood in every lexus vehicle is real. No matter how thin they slice the wood and put layer after layer of lacquer, its still real.
Old 02-15-14, 01:17 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Yep. ALL Lexus vehicles use REAL wood, some more exotic species and finishing processes than others, (i.e. LS vs ES).

Some past Infinitis and Acuras have "wood trim" = fake.
Old 02-15-14, 05:32 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dat dude
I've been told by a source that the Lexus RX's that feature a wood steering wheel have real wood, while the wood trim on the center console etc is "fake". Can anyone confirm this?
Yes it's real wood.
My " termite guy" said so.
Old 02-15-14, 06:12 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

[QUOTE=markrivers;8382596]Yes it's real wood.
My " termite guy" said so. [/QUOTE
HAHA thanks for the reply!
Old 02-15-14, 06:13 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Yep. ALL Lexus vehicles use REAL wood, some more exotic species and finishing processes than others, (i.e. LS vs ES).

Some past Infinitis and Acuras have "wood trim" = fake.
Infinities are garbage anyways Lexus is far more superior.
I had a question, how do you find the suspension in your F? I've heard it's REALLY hard, is this true?
Old 02-15-14, 06:14 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
wood in every lexus vehicle is real. No matter how thin they slice the wood and put layer after layer of lacquer, its still real.
Good to know Lexus isn't cheaping out unlike some other car manufactures.. Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-15-14, 08:03 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by dat dude
Infinities are garbage anyways Lexus is far more superior.
I had a question, how do you find the suspension in your F? I've heard it's REALLY hard, is this true?
In the winter at the crazy cold temps -15C and colder, it's firmer and on the side of being a touch "bumpy" on rough roads but that's also due to the tires being harder... Above freezing temps, it's "perfect" - firm over rough roads but still smooth over less rough and flat roads. But this is all relative.

What car do you have I can help give a comparison...
Old 02-15-14, 08:48 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

on an LS the wood from all the different panels, such as the dash and doors, all originate from the same tree so that the wood grain matches in color and texture.
Old 02-15-14, 09:00 PM
PeteInGilr
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

on an LS the wood from all the different panels, such as the dash and doors, all originate from the same tree so that the wood grain matches in color and texture.
That's pretty impressive they would go that far....but hey, this is Lexus, what would you expect.
Old 02-16-14, 04:27 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default Superb Craftsmanship - Wood

Exactly. Check the craftsmanship out. WOW!!!

Old 02-16-14, 06:42 AM
dwlink
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the wood is real? I thought only the shift **** and steering wheel had real wood - provided you ordered those options. The wood-looking trim on the doors and center console feel very much like plastic to the touch.
Old 02-16-14, 07:57 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Wow, that's a remarkable video. Note how thin the wood is--light actually shines through it easily--not surprising. That thinness allows the pressure forming of the wood around the (plastic?) form before staining and the final coats of whatever clear protectant is used. Polyurethane or some other clear plastic?

Yes, there's such a thick coat of (some sort of) plastic on the wood that it surely does feel like plastic. I have noticed however that the grain on the console & door pieces does vary from piece to piece, which sure indicates to me that somewhere under that clear coat is a thin piece of real wood.
Old 02-16-14, 08:05 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts
Default The sense of ease and comfort...

My wife, who has psoriatic arthritis says the wooden steering wheel is the most comfortable she's ever experienced. My salesperson said all the wood, including the trim, is real.
Wood from the same tree would be standard in high-end woodworking, in my opinion.
Ray
Old 02-16-14, 10:23 AM
ngerstman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car manufacturers seem to go to great lengths to make real wood veneer look as much like plastic as they can with lots of plastic lacquer! My Mercedes e550 has beautiful wood inlays that look like plastic as well. My rx has the optional wood inlay package and makes a huge difference in appearance, love it. Thanks. Regards. Ned.

Quick Reply: Lexys RX real wood?